New Les Paul Standard vs old Traditional

Kasper182

Reaction score
Just wondering: Is there any difference between the new Les Paul Standard 50's spec announced at NAMM 2019 and the old Traditional? They seem pretty similar.

Rick

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will report in once the guitar is actually released...

kaputme

Reaction score
i think it might be the same.. but i'm subscribed to see what the experts say.

PierM

Reaction score
Headstock should be more correct, no huge like latest years, but a tad wider than reissues.
ABR1 bridge should be using posts straight into the wood, historically accurate.
Neck profile for the '50 version, should be based on a average 59 profile, and 60 slim for the '60 version.
Tuners for the '50 are the deluxe, grover for the '60.
Graphtech nut, I guess preslotted 12" , in all guitars.
2 Piece back
Handwired circuit, no information if 50 or modern wiring.

519tbarr

Reaction score
Very similar to the 2017-2019 Traditional specs. Non-weight relieved, Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups, abr bridge, aluminum tail piece - a return to the standard old school strap buttons. Assuming there's no long neck tenon - as it's never been mentioned. 2 piece bodies, orange drop caps - the electronics have been improved - pots with better roll off - according to Cesar. The 50's neck being in the styling of a 59 neck style speaks to me of the neck shape of the 2017-2019 Traditionals - thinner than the baseball bat 50's neck of the 2008-2014 & 2016 models. The 60's Les Paul Standard is the interesting of the two to me. The 61 Burstbucker Pickups - with alnico 5 magnets, slim taper neck and great iced tea & bourbon burst finishes & the reflector knobs.

dCi_king

Reaction score
I think the problem will be the price. Something tells to me that the new Standards will be much more expensive than Trads being more or less the same, with a different TRC.

I hope Gibson do not make that mistake, and the new Standard models will have a reasonable or similar price to Traditionals, because they are pretty much the same.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I think the problem will be the price. Something tells to me that the new Standards will be much more expensive than Trads being more or less the same, with a different TRC.

I hope Gibson do not make that mistake, and the new Standard models will have a reasonable or similar price to Traditionals, because they are pretty much the same.

If you search through one of the many threads about these guitars, someone posted a quote about the prices being roughly the same. I'm not sure which thread it was and I don't have the time to search as I start work in a few minutes, but I definitely read it in the past few days.

As for the truss rod cover, I'll be buying a blank one to put on the p90 goldtop I'm getting.

bad565ss

Reaction score

Actually the chatter at NAAM was that these will be priced "well inside $3000."
I could see the 50s and 60s models priced where the Traditional was and the Modern a tick higher.
We shall see.

Roxy13

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is the ABR-1 bridge. My 2014 Trad had a Nashville. I put on the Faber kit to change it to the ABR.

I think having a choice in 50s or 60s necks is nice.

Of course pickups change nearly every year. My 2014 has the '59 Tributes.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Another important change is that the neck binding width is back to normal and closer to historic width. Gibson USA master luthier Jim Decola said this was change was made recently. Not exactly sure when though. The 2019 Traditional has the change, but most older year Traditionals have wider neck binding that contributed to string catch issues. It also made the playing space seem narrow even though the overall combined fretboard and binding width was the same.

Last edited:

Latest Threads