New Les Paul Standard 60s Rosewood Fretboard - should I return it?

Gitter

Reaction score
There's no denying that 3rd/4th fret picture looks pretty bad though I'm wondering if the angle of that shot is playing tricks with the eye. It almost looks as if it's caved in. Do you have a photo of that area from a top view looking down on a flat fretboard?

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Good luck color matching bondo to the surrounding wood. And I hope your fairy godmother is there to help when you try to sand it level and smooth it to blend it in.

Sinster

Reaction score
Ask the place you purchased it from how much of a discount they are willing to give you. If they are willing and the discount is something that makes it worth keeping it with the fretboard as is.

Lester

Reaction score
Good luck color matching bondo to the surrounding wood. And I hope your fairy godmother is there to help when you try to sand it level and smooth it to blend it in.
Well, you start with the tan bondo with the red hardener and you're halfway there already! Gonna be hard fitting the DA Sander between the frets though.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
That second picture looks awful. I'd return it.
Yep, almost looks like a crease in the rosewood that runs parallel to the string. Could be a trick of light but from everything else I looked at in the photos I'd return it.

laterider

Reaction score
Its interesting for sure, if it played and sounded great I'd probably keep it. However, if it doesn't standout in anyway I'd pretty much agree with the group here on returning.
Maybe I'm off here a bit but some of these boards showing up lately have a different look to them compared to their rosewood stock from say 3 years ago or so. These latest almost having more of a 'brazilian look', I know they are not but if they were a little less rough I'd tend to like em more than those of several years ago. Maybe I'm just nutz...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Does not look to bad, I wouldn't even worry about it. If she plays/feels good then just enjoy your new girl. If you want better, send it back and try again.... and possibly again.... and possibly again....

northernbreed

Reaction score
Does not look to bad, I wouldn't even worry about it. If she plays/feels good then just enjoy your new girl. If you want better, send it back and try again.... and possibly again.... and possibly again....
I’ll never understand the need to assign female gender to a guitar.

PAPADON

Reaction score
Yes you should return it. But keep in mind that with Gibson notorious QC issues what they send you as a replacement may or may not be any better.

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - You shouldn't compromise when spending that kind of $$ for a premium guitar. If there are no suitable quality LPs for exchange at this time, get a refund and just wait until you find the right one. If later you regret keeping that guitar, it will sit and won't get played. You may then have a hard time selling it (I wouldn't buy that guitar) later or have to take a considerable loss doing so. You already seem to have reservations. If so, exchange it or get a refund and wait for the right one... This is not a $100 throw-away or a Strat/Tele for which you could easily replace a neck. Let it go Indiana...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
It's a guy thing possibly, we just always have for the most part. I am not sure if female players name there guitars after a man. It would be great if someone could chime in and let us know.

juanpuol

Reaction score
If you are asking here is because it is bothering you. Independing if it is normal, acceptable or not, as other have commented, there are better boards out there. If you will be spending this much for a guitar, you should be very happy with it. So if you can, return it, and try to get one that you can enjoy.
I am very obssesive with little detailes and if I am not happy with something it will be the first thing I think abou when I get the guitar. I would exchange it.

juanpuol

Reaction score
I speak Spanish and German. In both languages that use genders the guitar is femenin. La Guitarra, Die Gitarre.
So I have always seen them as women.
Not to mention the shape clearly resembles a female body. (just like Coke bottle)

Latest Threads