New Les Paul Standard 60s Rosewood Fretboard - should I return it?

denny10

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s in Burbon Burst. I wanted to try it out yesterday but then I noticed some weired spot son the fretboard and on frets 14+ it looks VERY dry.

Can you give me your opinion on that? It's my very first Gibson guitar! :(
Is the quality okay or should I try to replace it with another guitar?

Advice is much appreciated :)

Best
Denny

15th upwards.jpg

3rd + 4th fret
3rd + 4th Fret.jpg

5th +6th fret
5th and 6h fret.jpg

17th Fet.jpg

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Pics won't load. When I click on the links, I get this:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - I'd return/exchange it. I don't like the looks of that FB, especially the pic at the 3rd and 4th frets. Some recent rosewood fretboards I've seen appear to be of lower grade/quality (dry appearance, lighter color and rough finish). This particular rosewood blank should likely not have made the QC cut for use for a guitar FB. I realize that rosewood is getting harder to come by and perhaps with that, compromise for grade and quality suffer. However, I ordered a Warmoth Strat neck in mid-2020 that had a beautiful rosewood board. If requesting exchange, perhaps you can ask the vendor to inspect the potential replacement and email you detailed pics before shipping. Good luck...

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
You bought it you make the call. I hate to sound callous but its wood. It has pores and grain. Its likely to have areas where it is less dense than other parts. Its wood. The easiest solution for you may be to return it and try a different one.

When I am going to spend that much cash, unless it is something I am certain is ok I make sure they have a generous return policy.

dmac in SC

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
3rd and 4th looks worse than anything I have, and I am pretty forgiving... but the new guitars all arrive with bone dry fret boards.. oil it and move on... unless you are a ham hand, the strings should only touch the frets and not the wood..

I am sure I will get hammered for this, but it is the truth..90% of the so called Les Paul intonation complaints are from players who play the first fret board position and press too hard on the strings.

BDW60

Reaction score
At least it looks fairly dark. Can’t say that very often anymore.

If it was me, return would totally depend on how whether or not I thought it was a really good Les Paul. If I did, I would keep it because I think those are cosmetic issues only with the board. But if I was sort of meh on the guitar, then add in the dodgy looking board, I would send it back.

You would hate to send a good guitar back for this, then receive a lesser guitar with a better board. Or at least I would.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I would return it. I just bought a new ‘61 SG that had the most beautiful and perfect fretboard I have personally seen on any guitar, but I had to return it for having the worst lacquer job I’ve ever seen. It looked like it was a child’s first attempt. Don’t be afraid to send a problem back. Maybe it will send a message to Gibson to get their s!@t together.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
It’s a roll of the dice when it comes to wood. Mother Nature can be a salty bitch... but there’s something to be said about aesthetics ...the color of a fretboard more so than what it’s made of can be a deal breaker for me... I like my rosewood like dark chocolate and my ebony black as coal..

If there’s nothing terrible special about it.. I’d see if it can be exchanged .. but play the others first.. they may feel like a dead fish..

Dilver

Reaction score
The 3rd and 4th fret pic looks the worst. That’s not natural imperfections in the wood - that looks more like a fretboard that wasn’t sanded properly before fretting. Send it back.

vlxerdon

Reaction score
New here, but afraid I go along with those suggesting you return it. For the cost of the guitar, I personally would not be happy with that fretboard.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
It's NOT the prettiest wood, and looks rough. I would return, and inspect the hell out of the next one.

Lester

Reaction score
The bigger imperfections shouldn't be on a Gibson. Return it.

Latest Threads