new les paul standard 60s QC issue

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly... that's even worse.
Manufacturers have always relied on their dealers to do the final QC before the sale.
This doesn't happen anymore... it MUST happen... but due to the nature of interstate and international shipping, it is not as effective.

The guitar MAY leave Corona or Nashville in perfect condition (but in reality, factory setups are a compromise that provides decent playability for most players)
But then that guitar sits in the back of a UPS truck through freezing snow in Iowa and 130 degree dry heat in Nevada.
The wood moves, and while there may be nothing wrong with the construction, it WILL need a setup after it acclimates to the purchaser's home.

The local Mom & Pop music store used to handle this before it was hung on the wall.
They also looked for things like defects in the finish, or bad hardware.
As a dealer, they would fix it, adjust the price a bit, or return it.
Their customer didn't see any of the dirty laundry.

Today, the rudimentary inspection by online dealers may as well not be done, because it doesn't catch jack shit for issues.
Even local stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash will have guitars with problems hanging on the wall. Guitar Center in my area is horrible... half of the inventory looks like it was beaten to death on stage... and that's just the NEW inventory.

In 1980, I could walk into LaMirada Music, Whittier Music, LaHabra Music, or Mo's and take anything off the wall and it was perfect.
That's what we've lost with the demise of the local Mom& Pop music store.
The few that remain can't afford to put that level of attention into inventory and remain competitive.
Sometime in the past 5-10 years, I remember a Squire Bronco bass hanging on the wall at my local GC. The bow in the neck was so bad that it was obvious from 50ft away. Broncos don't have a truss rod cover! How lazy can you get?

txzag

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 60’s standard. it is one of the few guitars that I bought off the wall (everything else has been online). I love the guitar. Plays great, Sounds awesome. But it has been handled by others and has a few minor blemishes that went unnoticed until I got it home and gave it a good cleaning. I kept it, though, and now I don’t even think about the “issues”. I have also noticed that the finish is really delicate, so there’s that. I left a Shark tuner on the headstock a couple of times and wound up with indentations in the finish from the tuner! I would not have noticed them had I not glanced at the guitar at a specific angle. Funny thing is that after a couple of months the indentations have self-healed. Odd… Anyway, it is far and away my favorite guitar purchase of all time (which have included US-made fenders, Spanish handmade classical guitars, and a middle-of-the-road, $3K Martin). I know now that I would have regretted taking the LP back. That’s just me, though.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 60’s standard. it is one of the few guitars that I bought off the wall (everything else has been online). I love the guitar. Plays great, Sounds awesome. But it has been handled by others and has a few minor blemishes that went unnoticed until I got it home and gave it a good cleaning. I kept it, though, and now I don’t even think about the “issues”. I have also noticed that the finish is really delicate, so there’s that. I left a Shark tuner on the headstock a couple of times and wound up with indentations in the finish from the tuner! I would not have noticed them had I not glanced at the guitar at a specific angle. Funny thing is that after a couple of months the indentations have self-healed. Odd… Anyway, it is far and away my favorite guitar purchase of all time (which have included US-made fenders, Spanish handmade classical guitars, and a middle-of-the-road, $3K Martin). I know now that I would have regretted taking the LP back. That’s just me, though.
I had a Snark leave an indentation on a Les Paul Special, but after some time it went away... leveled itself.

txzag

Reaction score
I had a Snark leave an indentation on a Les Paul Special, but after some time it went away... leveled itself.
Yeah, my attention to detail is quite low today. Obviously my tuner was not a Shark! ‍♂

tigerflame

Reaction score
and how would you feel if you were the next person to purchase this instrument, thinking it is "factory" and then seeing the shitty solder job in the pot cavity.

It is called dishonesty, and it sucks to suggest it.
I'm just saying what half of us were thinking.

If the next guy showed up here talking about re-soldered pots, I'd tell him to return it too.

tigerflame

Reaction score
Yeah I'm with you. When I bought my V (see sig) it was basically on the wall of a shop for two years (made in the middle of 2019, I just got it recently). I looked it over and playability, truss rod, and overall functionality was top notch. I noticed a few scratches and blemishes from handing over the course of two years, so I negotiated with the store and got a hundred bucks off of the already-lowered sale price at the time. I call that a win, as I'd probably put those on there myself after playing it.

My 2019 LP also has its "character marks" on it since I first brought it home. What you said about indentations working themselves out too, that's definitely true. My LP had a few when new that aren't there anymore.

My Les Paul was a lifelong dream kind of purchase. I'm not going to own many of them, and I always wanted one. If I was more nitpicky I'd have given up what I think is one of the best looking Pauls ever made, and I'm glad I didn't do that.

Last edited:

Latest Threads