new les paul standard 60s QC issue

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the saying goes, "don't be bitter, play better!" That is a quote from some famous guitarist in a guitar magazine about a year ago. I have the article somewhere, but I love that saying.

Bitter Guitar Face..........

srv.jpg

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
and how would you feel if you were the next person to purchase this instrument, thinking it is "factory" and then seeing the shitty solder job in the pot cavity.

It is called dishonesty, and it sucks to suggest it.

I mean, he could just put the original pickups back and not say anything. I doubt they'd even look.

Derald

Reaction score
I see these complaints on the message boards a lot, and I have to wonder if these minor issues are really a big deal, or really an excuse to send a $2500 back because of buyers regret…
It’s almost like people spend $2500 then feel bad about such a purchase on a guitar and have to justify to themselves to send it back.

Peter M

Reaction score
^I dunno man. Seems like some guys wanna spend more time staring their Pauls than playing them. Don't get me wrong, I adore my LPs and love gawking at 'em, but that only lasts a little bit before they're back in my hands doing what they're made for.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum of the ogres, wood sniffers and tone chasers!

hehe.. hey man, I hear ya 2.5k+ instrument and all... but I think these "defects" are passable. I'd ask for a small refund (like $50-$100) for the paint chip on the fretboard and the other smaller stuff, but I wouldn't sweat over them too much. If the seller gives you $100, great. if not,... I'd say just suck it up.

also, not that this will change your day, but I noticed my LP had a pretty minor defect: the neck binding was sticking out a little too much, which was pushing the pickup ring a little bit. The pickup ring was pushed so much that it looked slightly crooked. It took me no less than 11 years to find out. I sanded the binding down and now it's perfect. just saying.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, since this already has been an unpleasant experience for you. But maybe it's time we had a sticky thread for this type of complaint, there's a new one every week.

And they all share the same issue - people buy $2,5k+ guitars sight unseen and then are shocked when it's not absolutely perfect to their taste. The idea of purchasing such instruments without playing them first is just crazy to me.

Please play your guitars before buying them.
They're not iPhones surgically molded in metal by machines.

You are well within your consumer rights, but it also could've been so easily avoided with some dedication to actually playing it in person first.
Same threads on the Fender forums when someone buys an $800 MiM model.... it's not a price thing.
Same issues... minor cosmetic issues or major playability issues.
Actual music stores used to inspect and set up before it went on the wall.
Online and big-box stores look to be sure it has 6 strings and call it good.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought a guitar I actually held first only once since 1999, right around when eBay made all things possible. All internet purchases since then. Returns are your friend.

Yep. Otherwise you pays your money and you takes your chances.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see these complaints on the message boards a lot, and I have to wonder if these minor issues are really a big deal, or really an excuse to send a $2500 back because of buyers regret…
It’s almost like people spend $2500 then feel bad about such a purchase on a guitar and have to justify to themselves to send it back.
When I do a return, I do it as a cross ship, if possible.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same threads on the Fender forums when someone buys an $800 MiM model.... it's not a price thing.
Same issues... minor cosmetic issues or major playability issues.
Actual music stores used to inspect and set up before it went on the wall.
Online and big-box stores look to be sure it has 6 strings and call it good.
Maybe, but I have had plenty of guitars come to me which are factory sealed. GC&MF, but not Sweetwater.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
A used guitar? LOL. You're trippin. Big time.

yeah it doesnt bother me and with covid sending back for repair is a nightmare, freight take so long and ive already change the pick ups. so a few hundred would be fair?

A few hundred back?!? For THAT?!? No freakin way. Maybe $50. But no way in h*** is that miniscule stuff worth a few hundred bucks off. LO-FKN-L

That's completely insane.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Maybe, but I have had plenty of guitars come to me which are factory sealed. GC&MF, but not Sweetwater.
Exactly... that's even worse.
Manufacturers have always relied on their dealers to do the final QC before the sale.
This doesn't happen anymore... it MUST happen... but due to the nature of interstate and international shipping, it is not as effective.

The guitar MAY leave Corona or Nashville in perfect condition (but in reality, factory setups are a compromise that provides decent playability for most players)
But then that guitar sits in the back of a UPS truck through freezing snow in Iowa and 130 degree dry heat in Nevada.
The wood moves, and while there may be nothing wrong with the construction, it WILL need a setup after it acclimates to the purchaser's home.

The local Mom & Pop music store used to handle this before it was hung on the wall.
They also looked for things like defects in the finish, or bad hardware.
As a dealer, they would fix it, adjust the price a bit, or return it.
Their customer didn't see any of the dirty laundry.

Today, the rudimentary inspection by online dealers may as well not be done, because it doesn't catch jack shit for issues.
Even local stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash will have guitars with problems hanging on the wall. Guitar Center in my area is horrible... half of the inventory looks like it was beaten to death on stage... and that's just the NEW inventory.

In 1980, I could walk into LaMirada Music, Whittier Music, LaHabra Music, or Mo's and take anything off the wall and it was perfect.
That's what we've lost with the demise of the local Mom& Pop music store.
The few that remain can't afford to put that level of attention into inventory and remain competitive.

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
I think the damage to the neck is terrible - definitely not an over-reaction to want a discount or an exchange for that.

Changing pickups, though…that kind of voids that sort of remedy. I’ve gone through mod-crazy phases, and paid the price in terms of resale…It’s a tough way to learn to get hands on before you start swapping things out.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I think the damage to the neck is terrible - definitely not an over-reaction to want a discount or an exchange for that.

Changing pickups, though…that kind of voids that sort of remedy. I’ve gone through mod-crazy phases, and paid the price in terms of resale…It’s a tough way to learn to get hands on before you start swapping things out.
+1
Pickup swap negates returnability at this point.
The finish chip on the neck wasn't visible before the pickups were changed?
At this point, it's yours.
The neck finish issue can be easily repaired with a lacquer drop-fill (or just buff it down, it's the edge of the binding and it's going to wear there anyways.)
The other 3 pictures... I honestly don't know what we're supposed to be looking at.
I see some fuzziness on the edge of the pickguard that may or may not be the plastic overlay that is intended to be removed.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buff works, but very lightly. Doesn’t take much at all. What you’re really seeing is dirt. Grab your wife’s 4 sided nail buffer. Hit it real easy. Wipe it down with a baby wipe. You’ll never know it’s there.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been though the fine toothcomb phase with many products. I think with a guitar there maybe another rationale to consider and that is exactly what a few have already mentioned. An instrument of any type is a very personal thing. Mail order fits that in many ways especially if like the OP you live a fair drive from any kind of store.

But, I think there needs to be an acceptance that the convenience of try at home for 30 days means it may not be unused. You can still call it 'new' as its not been worn out (not even close) to find your prefect instrument might mean compromising on the concept of 'new', that lacquer ding in the binding may well have been caused in the factory or a previous tester of the guitar, my thoughts now are does it matter?

The guitar costs what it does because of the whole supply chain not just because its called 'new'. All the guitars in the shops i worked in were on the wall ready to try, they were still considered new by the customer. The only time they were not on wall was when we had loads of particular models at peak season.

Latest Threads