new les paul standard 60s QC issue

truckermde

Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, since this already has been an unpleasant experience for you. But maybe it's time we had a sticky thread for this type of complaint, there's a new one every week.

And they all share the same issue - people buy $2,5k+ guitars sight unseen and then are shocked when it's not absolutely perfect to their taste. The idea of purchasing such instruments without playing them first is just crazy to me.

Please play your guitars before buying them.
They're not iPhones surgically molded in metal by machines.

You are well within your consumer rights, but it also could've been so easily avoided with some dedication to actually playing it in person first.
You're taking for granted that everyone lives like you, and has a dealer nearby with LPs in stock for them to put their hands on.

That is simply not the case.

I'm looking at over four hours to get to one.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Normally I would say you have every right to expect to get what you want when spending your money.....

HOWEVER..........you modified the guitar, it is now yours (do you think they will not know?)....
you should have considered returning it before you made changes.

Anyone that tells you to explain that you changed to pups while trying to get them to "pay you a few hundret" is jerking you around......or stupid.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're taking for granted that everyone lives like you, and has a dealer nearby with LPs in stock for them to put their hands on.

That is simply not the case.

I'm looking at over four hours to get to one.
I'm really not though. I just mentioned I had a 6-hour drive last week to go after one of my dream guitars. Totally worth it.

Honestly, if you have to drive 4+ hours to find a decent guitar shop, chances are you're also a few hours away from many other stores and supplies. It comes with the territory quite literally. I've been there.

You are absolutely not wrong, it's your consumer right.
But a top shelf instrument is an intimate purchase, very subjective.
What if there aren't any cosmetic flaws, but you don't like how it plays or sounds?
No QC or pictures will sort that out for you.

mjross

Reaction score
I was on board until you changed the pickups.
Yeah, that kinda mess up the whole thing! I change pickups on a lot of guitars but it usually take a month or so or even a gig or two to make the decision. However, I do know people that have their pickups swapped out before the guitar leaves the dealer!

tigerflame

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying the Original V in my sig that has been hanging on the guitar store wall since mid-2019. It has nicks and bumps from being demo'd since that time. Unless you look real close, it looks pristine. I was able to get 150 bucks knocked off the pre-tax price. That's about as much as you should expect here as well.

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i just received a new gibson les paul standard 60s from gibson and when it arrived there is a chip on the binding at the 9th fret, there is a scratch in the finish at the headstock and the pickguard plastic is uneven.

is this normal ? i have complained to the retailer and they asked what i expect in return, how much of the discount is fair for the damages? i feel cheated as i bought it new for a present and wit this marks it feels second hand

need some focus on those pictures

lawrev

Reaction score
I have basically gotten to the point that if a defect affects sound or playability, I'd return it. Otherwise, probably not. After all, I purchased an ultra light aged SG Special in Classic White and it is so full of cracks and a couple dings, it basically looks used (and quite beautiful!).

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
The binding thing woild bug me. Unfortunately, with the pickup swap, I'm not sure you have any recourse. You could try pleading your case with the store. Let them know you changed the pickups, so you understand returning it isn't an option. And just ask them for their thoughts on what they may be able to do - if anything. Maybe you have your eye on something else and they can work with you on the price? They'll probably want to see the guitar too before deciding. Sorry it got dinged. It's no fun. Hope it works out. I kind of view things that, if money can solve a problem, then its not really a problem.

tigerflame

Reaction score
I mean, he could just put the original pickups back and not say anything. I doubt they'd even look.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Lefties can't be too picky. If we see something that looks great or like a great deal, we gotta strike and hope for the best.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, since this already has been an unpleasant experience for you. But maybe it's time we had a sticky thread for this type of complaint, there's a new one every week.

And they all share the same issue - people buy $2,5k+ guitars sight unseen and then are shocked when it's not absolutely perfect to their taste. The idea of purchasing such instruments without playing them first is just crazy to me.

Please play your guitars before buying them.
They're not iPhones surgically molded in metal by machines.

You are well within your consumer rights, but it also could've been so easily avoided with some dedication to actually playing it in person first.
You have a valid point, but on the other hand, this doesn't work when ordering online. I have a pretty high return rate, especially with Musician's Friend. They haven't said anything yet, but they may consider me to be an excessive returner.

Ordering a guitar sight unseen isn't crazy if you have a return privilege.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
But a top shelf instrument is an intimate purchase, very subjective.
What if there aren't any cosmetic flaws, but you don't like how it plays or sounds?
No QC or pictures will sort that out for you.
I don't live in the boonies, but once I drove an hour and a half one way because my local Guitar Center didn't have what I wanted. On the other hand, with my SG 61, I ordered it online, and it wound up shipping from that store's stock. If it had played poorly, I would have simply returned it.

It is not crucial -- or really important -- to see and hold a guitar before buying it when you have a return privilege.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I’ve bought a guitar I actually held first only once since 1999, right around when eBay made all things possible. All internet purchases since then. Returns are your friend.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty high return rate, especially with Musician's Friend. They haven't said anything yet, but they may consider me to be an excessive returner.
Yes, but you have the common sense not to flood the forum with this kind of post. :cheers2:

lawrev

Reaction score
Lefties can't be too picky. If we see something that looks great or like a great deal, we gotta strike and hope for the best.
As the saying goes, "don't be bitter, play better!" That is a quote from some famous guitarist in a guitar magazine about a year ago. I have the article somewhere, but I love that saying.

Latest Threads