new les paul standard 60s QC issue

kvxmg

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i just received a new gibson les paul standard 60s from gibson and when it arrived there is a chip on the binding at the 9th fret, there is a scratch in the finish at the headstock and the pickguard plastic is uneven.

is this normal ? i have complained to the retailer and they asked what i expect in return, how much of the discount is fair for the damages? i feel cheated as i bought it new for a present and wit this marks it feels second hand

Attachments

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s up to u

the pickguard is not an issue I bet…maybe loosen the nut and slide it out to relieve torque..

as for the scratches, well those often ”appear” on les Paul’s…can’t say it’s right, only that I’ve always been able to find them on my Lester’s and I exclusively buy new

the binding is another issue…u have grounds to return it imho…it wouldn’t bother me and I would likely knock it down if the guitar played to my spec

in the end, it’s your guitar and should make u happy…if the flaws bother u, swap it for a new one…or keep it and ask them to send u a micro terror for keeping it
That’s what I’d do…

to reiterate, if I loved playing it, I’d keep it..but maybe try to get a pedal or micro cab or something out of the deal

hope this helps

-chris

kvxmg

Reaction score
yeah it doesnt bother me and with covid sending back for repair is a nightmare, freight take so long and ive already change the pick ups. so a few hundred would be fair?

jonithen eff

Reaction score
*edit - 1st paragraph not relevant due to new info*

The finish at the binding is the only thing that would bother me. The plastics can be easily smoothed out with a few minutes of work - there's probably a smarter way but I'd take them outside and sand it quickly and have it over with.

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I have a couple of those marks on the treble side binding of one of my LPs. When I first brought it home I noticed them but I quickly forgot about them. There was also a circular ding from the nut under the pickguard bracket.

I can honestly say that before I saw your post this morning, I haven't thought about them in over 4 years. The guitar is amazing and now has yellowing binding, a couple very minor dings, and reminds me of my life and the hundreds of hours I've spent playing it.

That said, I can understand your frustration with seeing this on a new instrument. If it otherwise plays great and sounds awesome and checks all your boxes, ask for a discount and enjoy the hell out of it.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, since this already has been an unpleasant experience for you. But maybe it's time we had a sticky thread for this type of complaint, there's a new one every week.

And they all share the same issue - people buy $2,5k+ guitars sight unseen and then are shocked when it's not absolutely perfect to their taste. The idea of purchasing such instruments without playing them first is just crazy to me.

Please play your guitars before buying them.
They're not iPhones surgically molded in metal by machines.

You are well within your consumer rights, but it also could've been so easily avoided with some dedication to actually playing it in person first.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah it doesnt bother me and with covid sending back for repair is a nightmare, freight take so long and ive already change the pick ups. so a few hundred would be fair?
100% super fair…
id try and get an orange micro out of it instead of the money…
but I love little amps

jonithen eff

Reaction score
Ideally yeah the local guitar shop has what you want in stock and every single person who checked it out before you was responsible and kept it pristine for you to buy it but that's just not realistic.

You should be able to expect opening the box up and having a new guitar that is actually new. If you want open box, floor demo, factory second or used you can make that decision.

Why someone would take a soldering iron to a guitar they haven't decided to keep is beyond me. At that point its no longer in the same condition as you received it and isn't really honest to return - if you're already mad about finish checking you wouldn't be happy to find out about under the hood modifications would you? The next guy shouldn't feel cheated because of non-factory modifications and why should that retailer have to accept whatever you did to thing?

That part changes my mind about getting return or discount now unless you disclose whatever mods you did and see if they still want to offer you anything.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, since this already has been an unpleasant experience for you. But maybe it's time we had a sticky thread for this type of complaint, there's a new one every week.

And they all share the same issue - people buy $2,5k+ guitars sight unseen and then are shocked when it's not absolutely perfect to their taste. The idea of purchasing such instruments without playing them first is just crazy to me.

Please play your guitars before buying them.

You are well within your consumer rights, but it also could've been so easily avoided with some dedication to actually playing it in person first.
True, but tough to do when you live in the sticks, the stores that are 80 miles away usually have wall hangers, you enjoy dealing with members here or you want a DSG.

I’ve got an extremely high success ratio on sight unseen. I would have missed out on some really nice pieces. I can comment more on that later in the week. :laugh2:

To the OP: I had that little no finish on the binding flaw in one. Funny, it was one of the few I did get to lay hands on, but missed it. If you clean it up real good, you’ll never know it’s there.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't return it; you have no warranty now. The guard is easily smoothed or adjusted. The mark on the neck is minor.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Send your picture of the binding to a local repair shop and ask for a quote to repair. Ask for that amount in a refund. If you've already changed the pickups, sending it back is probably no longer an option.

jonithen eff

Reaction score
To be really fair to OP he might still be able to get something from them - but it is something that should be noted if seriously trying to get any consideration from the retailer.

Like a really nice email along the lines of "I really thought this instrument was going to work out and even tried a set of pickups I know I like in it, but it's just not doing it for me / I just really can't get over this finish damage on the neck and would really appreciate it if you guys could do something for me here". Not too hard, everything's on the up and up, cards on table, etc.

Then they get to make a decision, maybe they're nice and do something anyway or maybe they go "Aha now we have an excuse to laugh and say no!".

From now on, anytime I see a post that's criticizing Gibson's QC I'm going to wonder if that's really how it left the factory, or if it is actually a customer return after in-home surgery.

Peter M

Reaction score
No offense OP, but if you are that anal about aesthetics you should never try to buy a guitar online... save yourself and the seller the headache. Go in person with your fine-tooth comb and get something that meets your expectations. Maybe. :)

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
You changed the pickups already. It’s your guitar.
Yeah, make sure to skip over that small pickup-change detail when you asking for the "few hundred" back. Just be advised that they may want the guitar back which you now can't do, then that will be that. When I bought my 2018, it had an ultra-small chip out of the headstock. I was hoping to get it fixed by Gibson. However, my only option was to return it, and get a new one. Considering everything else on the guitar was fine, and inventory on my finish choice was very low, I decided to just keep it instead of getting back another guitar with possibly worse issues, or maybe not even get another back due to no stock.

gball

Reaction score
Errr...if you changed the pickups I don't think its even ethical to ask for a discount. You clearly made the decision for yourself when you voided the warranty and made it your own, can't send it back as new now. The "imperfections" are minor and for f's sake, how long did you even play it to know you wanted different pickups in it? Any reasonable person would resolve any perceived QC issues and then play it for a few months and get to know it first. Mind boggling.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but tough to do when you live in the sticks, the stores that are 80 miles away usually have wall hangers, you enjoy dealing with members here or you want a DSG.

I’ve got an extremely high success ratio on sight unseen. I would have missed out on some really nice pieces. I can comment more on that later in the week. :laugh2:

To the OP: I had that little no finish on the binding flaw in one. Funny, it was one of the few I did get to lay hands on, but missed it. If you clean it up real good, you’ll never know it’s there.

I understand. My point is if something is important enough to you that such a minuscule blemish sets you off, then it should be important enough to make you face a few hours’ drive.

I just had a 150 mile round trip last week to pursue one of my dream guitars. Made a day out of it, my personal guitar safari, enjoyed it.

I've had good experiences buying sight unseen too, but it was from a very reliable seller and I had a pic for every angle I considered important to check first.

BDW60

Reaction score
I bet that guitar has been in one or two houses before it came to the OP. They just recycle them, folks. We demand a perfect guitar from a company that does not make perfect guitars. Then we send them back after we booger ‘em up for a few days. And we’re shocked when our “new” guitars don’t seem new.

The OP has made it his own now with the pickup change, as stated above. Deal is done.

Latest Threads