New Les Paul Standard 50's nut issue

matteom86

Reaction score
Hi there, I just purchased a new Les Paul Standard 50's from Guitar Centre. The guitar looks stunning and plays beautifully but I just noticed something that I hadn't paid attention to at first before brining it home. The nut looks cracked/cut on both sides (on one side it also has a smaller crack towards the bottom of the nut) - I am attaching a couple of photos. Is this just the lacquer finish or is it something I should be worrying about?

Thanks so much! Photos below. Best, Matteo

IMG_5209_2.jpg
IMG_5207.jpg
IMG_5210_2.jpg

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
That’s not a crack.. that’s the clear that covered part of the nut when they laid down the clear coat.. some people take a razor blade and trim it out.. others just leave it

coyote95667

Reaction score
They all come like that - count yourself lucky if your nut slots were cut decently from the factory - I got three of these from Sweetwater and every one had lousy nut slots. Gibson just dgaf on that

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Fwiw, every Gibson I’ve ever bought new whether it’s was from Sweetwater or Zzounds.. they all needed fine adjustments.. to fix the string ping from slots being too small or the first fret action was way too high

matteom86

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, that's reassuring! I have added below a close up - there is also a smaller crack. Is that normal as well? Thanks in advance!

IMG_5219.jpg
IMG_5218.jpg

integra evan

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar! Cool trumpet too!
Your recent photo just shows a lacquer crack that would not concern me at all.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Totally normal. I used to get worked up about this issue but it just is how it’s done.

dCi_king

Reaction score
That is not a nut issue, that is a Gibson feature!...

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Everything completely normal - in fact your transition from the nut to the nitro is cleaner than most I have owned & seen.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
They all come like that - count yourself lucky if your nut slots were cut decently from the factory - I got three of these from Sweetwater and every one had lousy nut slots. Gibson just dgaf on that

Yes I have as well - is Gibson changing the way they cut the nuts? Mine were cut very deep. Pic of my last nut on 2022 50s Standard

8D43EE4D-0218-49DA-912B-1F2C02075EA8.jpeg

moreles

Reaction score
I agree that your nut is pretty much what you get these days. Even the small cracks in the finish are now so commonplace as to be not defects, but normal. And if the slots are cut to the right depth, that would be a genuine miracle as they are virtually always not just high-ish, but way too high. Nuts are pretty hopeless on most new guitars, as the handwork and knowledge necessary to really do a good nut are not present on an assembly line. Fenders are pretty good, as are PRS; not amazing, but at least not really bad. I think Gibsons are pretty poor, really -- slots high, fit and finish sloppy. I hate making nuts myself but have learned to do them well, and I usually just replace Gibson nuts right away. Tusq nuts done poorly are not for me. Consider youself lucky with yours. Seriously.

AJK1

Reaction score
So, not an issue after all as the thread title suggests
Click bait

Latest Threads