New Les Paul "Raw Power"

Exluthier

Reaction score
Wow. I think the only thing that's true in that is the bit about the router.

no, it is..........
Chambered Body

There’s something about playing a guitar with perfect tone, balance, and weight. One of the ways the expert craftsmen at Gibson USA achieve this equilibrium is by carving carefully mapped-out chambers in the Les Paul’s solid mahogany back using a Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) router before the maple top is glued on. The positioning of the routes was established after careful examination of the resonant characteristics of the Les Paul. Gibson approached this process with the awareness that every change to the formula would have repercussions on the instrument’s sound. So, in addition to relieving the stress on a player’s back and shoulder, these lighter Gibson guitars also enhance the tone palette in a manner unique only to these guitars. The results are comfortable, lightweight guitars that are acoustically louder, with increased sustain and resonance.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Les Paul wanted the original LP to be made from solid maple and instead, Gibson built it from mahogany with a maple cap to save on weight...If solid maple was good enough for Mr. Paul, then it's good enough for me...I'll be checking these out when they hit the shelves. Gibson should have put coil taps for both pups on these and then, IMHO, they would have hit it right out of the park.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd rather see something like this than a Rofart or Darkfail.

CARNAGE222

Reaction score
I like it a lot. I think the black looks great. I look at it this way. If you love LPS and wanted a maple neck, but didn't want a strat, this is the best of both worlds. The only thing I would like to see would black/darker trapizoids inlays.

guitarfish

Reaction score
I predict lots of threads asking "how do I darken the maple board?"

zslane

Reaction score
Seems to me that maple bodies and fingerboards are pretty big violations of "tradition". I mean, the definition of a Les Paul has always involved (with very few exceptions) a mahogany body and rosewood/ebony fretboard.

Is chambering, PCB electronics, or mechanized tuning really any worse as a violation? Personally, I don't think so.

nauc

Reaction score
Gibsons gone even more dumb

The_Sentry

Reaction score
No 'bursts either. :(

I'd love to have seen a worn vintage sunburst, or a tobacco burst model out of these. Or a HC. Ah well...mebbe someone will score one of those white ones and slap some off white h/w on it.

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
I don't know about this. I like the regular Studio more. The pickups look fine but they are not as high output as the regular Studio 498t/490r combo. This might be good, might not. I prefer my Les Paul with higher than Standard Pups. I play blues, rock, and metal so when I just want to shred, I'm not liking it on say like a Standard. Standard and the Traditional are GREAT guitars, don't get me wrong, but I find they can't do metal (not shitty nu metal, stuff like Metallica and Maiden) as good as the Studio. IMO, the Studio is a better guitar for harder stuff, while the Standard and this Raw Power Studio better for some classic rock, IMO. That may not be everyone's opinion, so please don't flame me. :D P.S. I think they should just have a Standard and a Studio version and THEN the Custom Shop. More basic. I like the idea, anyone agree?

guitarfish

Reaction score
ftm_frisbee-fail.jpg

Huey

Reaction score
i kinda dig the blue one though....

River

Reaction score
I think they're way cool. And I'm with Huey on the finishes. I think they're plenty traditional, just not retro. If they had a little more high fret access, I might just put my money where my mouth is.

Hemply

Reaction score
Here's the new series of the Les Paul Studio:

raw-power_SG-lineup.jpg

WTF?

Are these a joke?

The Hannah Montana series?:laugh2:

The White one is only tolerable... sort of the albino hillbilly cousin with the missing chromosome of a real Alpine White Studio?:hmm::shock:

I want one!:laugh2:

zslane

Reaction score
For all I know they sound amazing. But to my eyes they just look so bizarre with the maple fretboard. I'm having trouble getting past the unusual aesthetics...

analogsystem

Reaction score
All maple set neck guitars......very 70s.
I think it makes sense for Gibson to offer this model if they are trying new things. It's going to sound and feel different, which is GOOD. A flying V with holes in it is just dumb. This is decent.

I'd try one. It's ugly, but almost in a cool way.

marc1kim

Reaction score
Here's the new series of the Les Paul Studio:

raw-power_SG-lineup.jpg

This is a barebones Les Paul, but very different! The body is a maple body, with a maple fingerboard, with '57 Classic Humbuckers.

The guitars are nitro-finished, solid colors for the most part in some unusual shades.

Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Classic Les Paul Studio Guitar Tone, Electric Guitar Prices and Specs From Gibson Guitar Music Instruments

Not too bad, something different but respecting the traditional LP lines and design. Good for Gibson!

Also available is the SG version.
Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Bass Guitars, Baldwin Pianos and

I used to own a Charvel super strat, with a maple body, neck, and fret board. That guitar was one trebly shrill sounding SOB no matter what pups you put in it. I'm sure these "raw Power" gutiars are no different. And if they aren't chambered you can expect them to be much much heavier than your typical Norlin.

Latest Threads