New Les Paul "Raw Power"

Big_dawg

Reaction score
I would have had one of the SG's but as usual no leftys....

rideski

Reaction score
I think it`s pretty cool actually... I`ve love to give one a go... It would be very bright but may make an nice compliment to the aresenal...
It`s also the cheapest Gibson Goldtop you can buy new...and the blue/silver top is kinda cool as well.
I far prefer this offering from Gibson over some of their crazier Guitar of the Month monstrosities...

guitarfish

Reaction score
OK, so what we have here is a Studio with an all maple body, maple board, and a satin finish. Personally, I'd prefer a regular old Studio...but it sounds like some of you guys would give the Raw a try, so that's cool. It should be priced at least a couple hundred less than a regular Studio IMO. Otherwise it's the Raw Deal.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No, it's not a mahogany neck. The specs sheet says it's a maple body and maple neck. No mahogany.

That should make this LP very, very bright...

Neck
Species Mahogany
Nut Corian
Nut Width Standard Gibson: 1.695" +/- .050"
Silkscreen Gibson Logo + Les Paul Model
Truss Rod Gibson Adjustable Truss Rod
Truss Rod Cover Bell-shaped cover, stamped "Studio"

Ed B

Reaction score
the maple fretboard "may" grow on me. the trap inlay at the 12th is hideous.

decoy205

Reaction score
I dig it! I like it much more then some of the other new things they've released. Call me crazy I dig that yellow one!
Also does say solid body so it's prolly swiss cheesed. I'm curious. I'd like to play one.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
cutedog.jpg

BlueFin

Reaction score
I do like the maple board on my Strat but I don't know on a Paul it somehow doesn't seem right. I'd like to play one and hey any excuse to get another guitar.

decoy205

Reaction score
It's funny that the natural finish has a higher msrp then the others. :hmm: maybe because they have to select a better top.

Reaction score
the maple fretboard "may" grow on me. the trap inlay at the 12th is hideous.
I didn't notice that, why would they do that? Who is coming up with these stupid ideas, and what was wrong with the original Rosewood-boarded Raw Power?

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't get it then why the site listed the neck as "solid maple".

But whatever, I don't think it's a bad idea for Gibson to experiment with new concepts such as this, as long as they keep the basics intact. A Les Paul is supposed to at least look like a Les Paul.

guitarfish

Reaction score
If the board were RW, then it would essentially be a "Studio Faded" model. I was never into the Standard Fadeds, but the way some people are into the "worn" look, it makes sense. The maple board just doesn't work on this model for me. But I am very much a traditionalist.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't get it then why the site listed the neck as "solid maple".

Neck and fretboard are one piece. Unlike say........ two piece.

Exluthier

Reaction score
Whoever is designing guitars at Gibson needs to be shot. Its almost like they're just taking random bits of design from other models and throwing them in a blender and just going with whatever comes out. And exactly where is the power part of "Raw Power?" This thing should be called "Maple Ripoff".

guitarfish

Reaction score
Maybe the Feds should fire Henry, and tell Gibson what models to build, ala GM. :laugh2:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
According to the website, it's not chambered....

The principal feature of any Les Paul is its maple cap. Whether it’s the beautifully figured flames of the Burst models, or the plain maple used for solid color finishes, a Les Paul isn’t a Les Paul without it. What sets apart the new Les Paul Studio Raw Power from any other Les Paul is the addition of a solid maple body, instead of the usual mahogany.

Huey

Reaction score
According to the website, it's not chambered....

no, it is..........
Chambered Body

There’s something about playing a guitar with perfect tone, balance, and weight. One of the ways the expert craftsmen at Gibson USA achieve this equilibrium is by carving carefully mapped-out chambers in the Les Paul’s solid mahogany back using a Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) router before the maple top is glued on. The positioning of the routes was established after careful examination of the resonant characteristics of the Les Paul. Gibson approached this process with the awareness that every change to the formula would have repercussions on the instrument’s sound. So, in addition to relieving the stress on a player’s back and shoulder, these lighter Gibson guitars also enhance the tone palette in a manner unique only to these guitars. The results are comfortable, lightweight guitars that are acoustically louder, with increased sustain and resonance.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It Starts with a Solid Maple Body…

The principal feature of any Les Paul is its maple cap. Whether it’s the beautifully figured flames of the Burst models, or the plain maple used for solid color finishes, a Les Paul isn’t a Les Paul without it. What sets apart the new Les Paul Studio Raw Power from any other Les Paul is the addition of a solid maple body, instead of the usual mahogany. The result is a more articulate, brighter tone,.........................

But in the specs it says chambered ....

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess it starts with one, but doesn't finish with one....

JoeShell1110

Reaction score
The Maple Neck would definitely make it less prone to Headstock Breaks.

I actually think they look like a Fenderish type of Les Paul if that makes any sense.

It does, I think its the maple neck with dots instead of the trapezoids.

Latest Threads