New Les Paul - question about some flaw

Boris1268

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

I just bought new Gibson Les Paul Modern. It has a strange flaw on nut/1 fret binding like it has Been hit. I know I'm being too picky, but this is my dream guitar, I wanted it to be brand new and ding it myself. (Pics included) Is it possible to repair such chip on nut and 1st fret binding if I brought it to the Luthier? Thanks for tips and help! Regards, Boris

Attachments

elstoof

Reaction score
I can’t see anything on the binding but it looks like there’s a crack on the side of the nut

Boris1268

Reaction score
Yeah, there is, it looks like its cracked. Albo there is a really small dent on binding, close to the nut, nearly invisible on photos but its there. It bugs me tho, there should be none on 2700$ guitar. Idk what to do now.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Yeah, there is, it looks like its cracked. Albo there is a really small dent on binding, close to the nut, nearly invisible on photos but its there. It bugs me tho, there should be none on 2700$ guitar. Idk what to do now.
It looks more to me like someone at the factory got a bit careless with the scraper tool while cleaning the binding.

It doesn't look cracked through to me, it looks gouged. It still should not have passed QC at the factory, but we have tons of QC threads here.

Bring it back if you don't like it.

bad565ss

Reaction score
Its a nut. I wouldn't return a otherwise good guitar over a $15 nut. You may be able to negotiate a small discount.
If you got a guitar that sounds and plays good
you could end up with a lesser guitar if you return it.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Its a nut. I wouldn't return a otherwise good guitar over a $15 nut. You may be able to negotiate a small discount.
If you got a guitar that sounds and plays good
you could end up with a lesser guitar if you return it.
^^^ Wisdom here.

If you like how it sounds and plays that's 99% of it.

Agreed in a perfect world it should not have blemishes. Your call on returning it.

Just be aware the next one may not have that special something this one has.

If this one is nothing special to you yet, then go ahead and return it.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Ya its obvious. But I had new LP standard and 2x new studio before and none of them had such issues. Also, this small gouge bugs me and I dont Think its easy fixable cause its on binding. Expensive axe, wanted to put some Wear myself.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Also, this small gouge bugs me
Then that's your answer.

Not being a smartass, that's a legit reason to return it.

We tell folks all the time that if it bugs you and you can't get around it, then you need to return it or you will never be really happy with it.

Happiness is a huge factor in a NGD. Without the WOW, it's pretty much pointless. You have to WANT it.

Boris1268

Reaction score
If the binding was fixable easily (is it?) I'd bring it to the luthier for repair and also nut replacement. I'll think about it but I think I'm going to bring it back to the shop Monday...thanks for support guys

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
If the binding was fixable easily (is it?) I'd bring it to the luthier for repair and also nut replacement. I'll think about it but I think I'm going to bring it back to the shop Monday...thanks for support guys
I'm pretty sure the gouge could be filled or nut replaced by someone who knows what he's doing and there should be some kind of warranty from Gibson on that.

Have you tried contacting them directly or asking for a warranty repair or replacement from where you bought it?

Boris1268

Reaction score
I bought it yesterday in shop. Today it's closed but I'm pretty sure I go back there on monday.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Thanks for support. I was sure I"m freaking out on such a small issue, but now I'm gonna try solving it out somehow.

Boris1268

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee my Custom Shop has “worse” binding than that. If I wanted perfection I’d get a PRS
Not a perfection thing I guess. If I pay over 2k bucks for dream guitar I want it to be free of such issues, just ... ;) the wow factor is important, not such damn fizzling around the brain. Especially, you pay extra money for new, not used guitar. I Think it makss sense somehow..

elstoof

Reaction score
You’ve got to be happy with it of course, and the dealer should look after you

Roxy13

Reaction score
Honestly this is a pretty minor issue. But, it's your money and it's not a cheap guitar so I get that. I would either return it, ask for a discount and keep it or live with it. Nothing there is going to affect how it plays at all.

If you keep it consider having a nice bone nut put on sometime down the road.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Honestly this is a pretty minor issue. But, it's your money and it's not a cheap guitar so I get that. I would either return it, ask for a discount and keep it or live with it. Nothing there is going to affect how it plays at all.

If you keep it consider having a nice bone nut put on sometime down the road.
Nut is smaller problem for me than microding On binding. Lets see what the shop will offer...

Latest Threads