New Les Paul. Possible fake pickups? Tampered? Debating returning.

SeventySeven

Reaction score
Hi guys! So a few of you might know I recently got a new Les Paul standard 60’s from Guitar Center. It’s an awesome guitar, but after bringing it home I found out the bridge pickup was put in backwards, as seen here.

At first I assumed this was a Gibson QC issue or factory mistake but I got the suggestion the check baby picture and turns out the pickup was in the correct position from the factory.

I just got back from the Gutiar center and they confirmed the guitar was bought and returned once before to a store in a different state, they don’t know how it got to my store and is a bit fishy. We still don’t know who flipped it or why.

My biggest concern is if someone took out the original pickups to sell and put in some fakes.
They were nice enough to open up the guitar for me at the store to confirm the pickups are still original and we took photos of the undersides.
They seem legit. But what do you think? Do these look like the original 61R/T pickups? The stickers seem to match up but it’s still odd. Should I just return it and take the refund? I can order another standard 60’s but this one looks and plays great, so if pickups look to be original and everything seems okay, I would just keep this one. But the whole story is odd, even the staff were perplexed. They said it’s up to me if I want to exchange or return.

Sometimes people will rotate a pickup like that to make it brighter if it's neck position or darker sounding for bridge position. Also notice the other pics pickup baseplate has Gibson stamped on it ( which is relatively unusual ). I would do a search for pics of your models pickups and compare.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought it during the Presidents Day sale so I got a 15% discount. I asked if they’d be able to do any more discounts but understandably they couldn’t. But they said I could exchange for another new Les Paul and they’d honor the price. I won’t give this one up unless I find something I like as much.

There’s a standard 60’s triburst that’s brand new out of box at another Guitar Center location near me. I’ll check that one out this weekend and if it’s just as good or better, I’ll see if they’ll let me exchange for that one. But I want to see it in person first. If that one doesn’t work out, I’ll keep mine as it’s a good guitar in it’s own right.
I returned a standard 50's in december because of a tiny flaw but really just because i didn't like the top..... the second one i received was awful, nut was cut badly, glue coming out of the inlays, black dots in the clear coat.... i had to return that one and then with lack of availability had to wait another month (which was lucky because the wait was supposed to be longer cause you can't get LP's right now) and got a nice one finally but it does have a couple tiny gibson blems i don't really mind..... my point is that these can be hit or miss and the next one might not compare favorably to the one you have. The top on yours is above average for a standard, i'd strongly consider keeping it.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I returned a standard 50's in december because of a tiny flaw but really just because i didn't like the top..... the second one i received was awful, nut was cut badly, glue coming out of the inlays, black dots in the clear coat.... i had to return that one and then with lack of availability had to wait another month (which was lucky because the wait was supposed to be longer cause you can't get LP's right now) and got a nice one finally but it does have a couple tiny gibson blems i don't really mind..... my point is that these can be hit or miss and the next one might not compare favorably to the one you have. The top on yours is above average for a standard, i'd strongly consider keeping it.
Thanks, that really helpful to know. I didn’t realize I had a good example.
I almost returned it yesterday at the store, but last minute my gut just told me I’d regret giving this one up. So I brought it back home. I’ll see this one more guitar just to do my due diligence then call it a day. Like you said, these are hit or miss and since mine is a good example, I’m only gonna exchange it if I find something that I know is better or just as good. All the other standard 60’s I tried had more plain tops, or lighter fretboards, or didn’t play as well, one had the wrong knobs from the factory.

KS 5150

Reaction score
only you can prevent forrest fires hey if it feels good and play like you like it then by all means reverse the pickup and play on otherwise consider some after market pups i'm not too impressed with gibson's pick ups after a wnile they all sound the same except for loudness and the lack of tone for what ever reason I personally prefer thro bak paf's or klein pickups ,some floks like wizz but to me their kind a bland just like gibsons ,back in a day gibson wound some awesome pickups but I feel like their living on their laurels just my take on things

zdog
Wow, that is one long-ass sentence lol

Mario St DeHaven

Reaction score
Tried every standard 60’s they had (3 total) only one of them was as good as the one I have. But of course, it had wrong 50’s knobs on it lol, no a big deal but comes to show none of these are perfect...I’d be rolling the dice by ordering a new one sight unseen things get missed with both Gibson and Guitar Center.

I’m prob gonna just keep the one I have. I’ve spent enough time and gas money on these trips to the store.
Lol, good idea. Just turn the pup around and reinstall it correctly, and then go play the sht out it!

Wingtip4

Reaction score
You never did check the wiring unless I missed something. I personally bet that the first buyer had a boutique pickup they tried and then put the original back in wrong. Check the solder joints.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never did check the wiring unless I missed something. I personally bet that the first buyer had a boutique pickup they tried and then put the original back in wrong. Check the solder joints.
he posted pics... looks clean and untouched.

HRC

Reaction score
You realize that this happens everywhere, not just guitar shops, right? You won't win this suit, because you'll need to show that the guitar is in different condition than it would be sitting on the sales floor, being groped by 12 year olds playing Smoke on the Water and Enter Sandman.
It was in different condition the pickup was obviously removed by a previous owner then reinstalled wrong.

KS 5150

Reaction score
It was in different condition the pickup was obviously removed by a previous owner then reinstalled wrong.
Please read the post directly above yours :facepalm:

RDeNatale

Reaction score
Hi guys! So a few of you might know I recently got a new Les Paul standard 60’s from Guitar Center. It’s an awesome guitar, but after bringing it home I found out the bridge pickup was put in backwards, as seen here.

At first I assumed this was a Gibson QC issue or factory mistake but I got the suggestion the check baby picture and turns out the pickup was in the correct position from the factory.

I just got back from the Gutiar center and they confirmed the guitar was bought and returned once before to a store in a different state, they don’t know how it got to my store and is a bit fishy. We still don’t know who flipped it or why.

My biggest concern is if someone took out the original pickups to sell and put in some fakes.
They were nice enough to open up the guitar for me at the store to confirm the pickups are still original and we took photos of the undersides.
They seem legit. But what do you think? Do these look like the original 61R/T pickups? The stickers seem to match up but it’s still odd. Should I just return it and take the refund? I can order another standard 60’s but this one looks and plays great, so if pickups look to be original and everything seems okay, I would just keep this one. But the whole story is odd, even the staff were perplexed. They said it’s up to me if I want to exchange or return.

An Original 60s Standard would have come from the factory with BurstBuckers and wouldn’t have the PAF decals

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Why not go back to the guitar shop, find one the same as yours & plug both in to the same amps & then compare the sound ?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Why not go back to the guitar shop, find one the same as yours & plug both in to the same amps & then compare the sound ?
Doing that today! :)

They got a standard 60’s in the same triburst finish fresh out of the box and never returned. I’m gonna go check it out and see how it compares to the one that I currently have.

I also stumbled on a used 2001 Wine Red Les Paul Custom this week, that actually really impressed me, I liked it as much or more than the standard 60’s. So I got some decisions to make but the one that looks and plays best will come home with me.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When these threads get posted in the email newsletter it draws in all kinds.... especially those who don’t want to read through it. Burstbuckers?..... for real?..... Jeebus! How this place has changed.

Pay no mind to me.... I’m not helping here.... just pointing out the obvious.
:cheers:

pmonk

Reaction score

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Just came back from the store! Checked out an IDENTICAL Standard 60’s in the same triburst finish as mine...and mine looked and played better. I also tried a beautiful Les Paul custom, I loved the look but it didn’t play as well as my standard. So having pitted this guitar against everything I could get my hands on, looks like this little backward pickup guitar is a keeper.

When these threads get posted in the email newsletter it draws in all kinds.... especially those who don’t want to read through it. Burstbuckers?..... for real?..... Jeebus! How this place has changed.

Pay no mind to me.... I’m not helping here.... just pointing out the obvious.
:cheers:
Its a lot of posts to read, I don’t think I can fault anyone for skipping over haha.

I just edited my original post with a TLDR summary of all the updates and findings from the thread. Hopefully it helps.

Latest Threads