New Les Paul. Possible fake pickups? Tampered? Debating returning.

E.T.

Reaction score
Maybe that's just how the pickups were in an original '61 carved top single cutaway Les Paul :rofl:

blouie

Reaction score
Your pickups look exactly like my 2019 Les Paul Standard 60's so no worries there. It's REALLY BAD if GC sold it to you as "new" when it is was previously purchased and returned. At best, they have to label it as a B-Stock.

As far as price, you should get at least 10% off the ticket price on any day (not even on a holiday); Since it was B-Stock, I would expect 15%-20% off. GC was dishonest here and I would return it in a split second! That guitar is beautiful but you can find a "new" one just a beautiful!

amgomez

Reaction score
I’ve had a couple of Standard 50’s with variations of the burstbuckers.

my first one had 2 stickers with the date and model name, with the Gibson USA etching. NO PAF decals.

The second one came with what is mostly seen here, decals and stickers, no etching.

i wouldn’t worry about it, at all.

ballou48

Reaction score
could be they were low on supply, or because the Classic isn’t affiliated with an era they use modern plates instead of the PAF sticker?

I would definitely ask for a discount based on the hassle and them not being clear about it having been returned previously.
I'd definitely ask for a discount for all the hassle and confusion. They're selling a returned item as new. Big , no, no. But if you dig the PU, keep it.

amgomez

Reaction score
Also, they use what they have. I’m sure of it. I’ve bought Gibson guitars with the wrong specs a few times.
One Les Paul came with a Tone Pros bridge stock.

An SG that was supposed to come with locking tuners came with regular grovers..

And the pickup thing I mentioned earlier.

jap545

Reaction score
If the solder joints look original then i wouldnt worry. The original purchaser prob just flipped it for preference.

Tinpan

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always send the picture to Gibson tech support for validation...but they look legit to me.

KS 5150

Reaction score
My $0.02 would be to keep the guitar and enjoy it. There's no harm in asking if there's anything else they can do, but if they say no, don't sweat it. You got a very good deal as it is. There are way too many people here that scream "Take it back!" to even the most minute issue. That's the internet for ya :rolleyes:

DBDM

Reaction score
Late to this party and I admit that I only read the first few quotes. I, personally, would not be bothered by this. That said if YOU are, take it back. I can think of dozens of valid reasons why someone would buy a guitar and take it back. Maybe they just did not like something? Maybe their wife had a wreck and they realized the next day they would need the funds they just spent. Maybe they got afterburn? maybe they bought it, showed off to their neighbor and took it back? My buddy owns a pawn shop and people sell him brand new "stuff" (guitars, tools, jewelry,...) all day, every day for a gazillion reasons (that are not fraud or illegal). As far as the pickup--the previous owner likely either: A--thought that flipping the humbucker would create the Peter Green effect (wrong) or B wanted to see it because he read that we should all see them and did not know that he put it in backwards. or maybe he likes them that way. it changes nothing to position them that way as far as tone. Seth Lover had them oriented the "correct way" because he thought it looks cool. Maybe the previous owner wanted them the other way.

My attitude would be "no ham no foul" but if you are bothered by it you can either take it back or go back to GC and demand a discount since technically they sold you a used guitar as new.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
It's a nice looking guitar, the pickups seem legit....I'd keep it if it plays and sounds great. It also has a nice dark fretboard which is a plus, at least for me.
Yeah, aesthetically this guitar really impressed me. It def stuck out on the rack.

Read through the thread -

Good fit and finish on a Gibson with playability that makes you happy is not the easiest find. That’s a factor.

That being said - do NOT pay full retail price for a guitar that GC admits was bought, tinkered with, returned, and shipped to their store. You did not buy a factory new guitar and paying retail on that is bonkers. GC is selling these used from $1800-$2100 online.
Yeah this is where it gets a big complicated. I bought it Presidents Day weekend when they offered 15% off on everything. So I got a really good deal on it for $2125. I doubt they’ll lower the price much further. But I could have bought a brand new mint condition Standard 60’s for the same price that weekend too, so I feel like they should at least let me exchange for a mint brand new one of the same model and honor the $2125 price.

Your pickups look exactly like my 2019 Les Paul Standard 60's so no worries there. It's REALLY BAD if GC sold it to you as "new" when it is was previously purchased and returned. At best, they have to label it as a B-Stock.

As far as price, you should get at least 10% off the ticket price on any day (not even on a holiday); Since it was B-Stock, I would expect 15%-20% off. GC was dishonest here and I would return it in a split second! That guitar is beautiful but you can find a "new" one just a beautiful!
Yeah it’s a bit complicated since I got 15% off for buying Presidents Day. BUT, there were plenty of other standard 60’s in the store that were brand new and untampered for that same discount so I feel like a direct exchange would be the most fair if they can’t discount this one for me any more.

But I’m not really sure what they’ll do. Or what I should reasonably expect as a discount now.

I'd definitely ask for a discount for all the hassle and confusion. They're selling a returned item as new. Big , no, no. But if you dig the PU, keep it.
I got it Presidents Day weekend with the 15% off coupon so it was well discounted. But, I know I could have gotten a brand new unopened Standard 60’s that weekend with the same discount. So now I’m not sure what to ask for if they don’t discount it. Im thinking direct exchange for the same guitar or just keeping what I have as I dig the sound and feel.

If the solder joints look original then i wouldnt worry. The original purchaser prob just flipped it for preference.
Thanks, that’s really my main concern. Most people said they looked good which is reassuring,

here’s the pic

You can always send the picture to Gibson tech support for validation...but they look legit to me.
Good idea, I may do that. Though I feel alot better having gotten it looked at on here.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Late to this party and I admit that I only read the first few quotes. I, personally, would not be bothered by this. That said if YOU are, take it back. I can think of dozens of valid reasons why someone would buy a guitar and take it back. Maybe they just did not like something? Maybe their wife had a wreck and they realized the next day they would need the funds they just spent. Maybe they got afterburn? maybe they bought it, showed off to their neighbor and took it back? My buddy owns a pawn shop and people sell him brand new "stuff" (guitars, tools, jewelry,...) all day, every day for a gazillion reasons (that are not fraud or illegal). As far as the pickup--the previous owner likely either: A--thought that flipping the humbucker would create the Peter Green effect (wrong) or B wanted to see it because he read that we should all see them and did not know that he put it in backwards. or maybe he likes them that way. it changes nothing to position them that way as far as tone. Seth Lover had them oriented the "correct way" because he thought it looks cool. Maybe the previous owner wanted them the other way.

My attitude would be "no ham no foul" but if you are bothered by it you can either take it back or go back to GC and demand a discount since technically they sold you a used guitar as new.
Thanks, I think I needed some reassurance on here. My biggest fear and concern was having a tampered guitar, e.g. pickup swapped, wiring Tampered with. But since it seems like it was just the flipped pickup, but all original I’m not as bothered.

I got a nice 15% discount which is great, but I could have gotten any other standard 60’s in mint condition with the same discount as well the day I bought it. I waited until Presidents Day sale to get it at that price. So I still feel like I should have gotten a new guitar. But if it’s just the pickup flipped and nothing else, I’ll consider it new.

Edwardtoscano

Reaction score
Brother, some people do that on purpose, ever hear of Peter Greene? The pickups look legit, the first owner removed them for whatever reason but it certainly is possible is was put in backwards on purpose. I replaced pickups once in a tele with a neck hum bucket and installed it backwards it gives the guitar a unique qwack sound made famous again by Peter Greene. If you don’t know you he is look him up one of the most proficient influential blues guitar players of the 1960s

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Brother, some people do that on purpose, ever hear of Peter Greene? The pickups look legit, the first owner removed them for whatever reason but it certainly is possible is was put in backwards on purpose. I replaced pickups once in a tele with a neck hum bucket and installed it backwards it gives the guitar a unique qwack sound made famous again by Peter Greene. If you don’t know you he is look him up one of the most proficient influential blues guitar players of the 1960s
Thanks, hopefully that’s what they were trying to do.
When I looked it up, people said flipping the pickup didn’t change the phase, just the orientation of the pickup. Though I’m sure that still has some effect on the tone

I had understood that Peter Greene’s quack was from flipping the magnet inside the pickup which put it out of phase together. I hope they didn’t try that on my gutiar but I’m sure I would have heard that.
And his neck pickup itself being put back in backward was a mistake by his tech. I could be wrong, I got a lot of conflicting info.

Last edited:

PRSWILL

Reaction score
^^ i'd hope this^^, but it was probably - as someone else stated, a ding dong who pulled the pups on a string change and flipped it inadvertently.

Rico

Reaction score
Maybe someone was trying to get the Peter Green sound in the bridge position?

David Garner

Reaction score
thanks for sending this.
Yeah, I'm not the most knowledgeable guitar tech in town but the wiring looks original to me
Agree. I'd keep that guitar. Maybe negotiate a small inconvenience fee because it is clearly a return and not brand new, but I wouldn't return it.

KS 5150

Reaction score
It looks like you got a cool top on this one. With the concern about the pickups getting solved, I think you got a good one. Enjoy in good health :thumb:

zdoggie

Reaction score
only you can prevent forrest fires hey if it feels good and play like you like it then by all means reverse the pickup and play on otherwise consider some after market pups i'm not too impressed with gibson's pick ups after a wnile they all sound the same except for loudness and the lack of tone for what ever reason I personally prefer thro bak paf's or klein pickups ,some floks like wizz but to me their kind a bland just like gibsons ,back in a day gibson wound some awesome pickups but I feel like their living on their laurels just my take on things

zdog

dasherf17

Reaction score
I'm imagining some dingleberry watched too much Trogley's, pulled the pups out during a string change to "document" and put the bridge pup back in wrong.
...or doing a "reverse Greeny/Moore" on it...
Curious if the magnet's flipped...

Latest Threads