New Les Paul Modern, what do you think?

mjross

Reaction score
Quick question for those of you that have the new Les Paul Moderns, what do you think? I know that it is a departure from the norm but those of you that have them have probably more than likely had them long enough now to give some informative input. Thanks for your time!

bytemare

Reaction score
I have one and I like it. What I like is the neck carve thing. Personally I don't like the way it looks, it looks clunky to me, but it makes a huge difference for me. It allows my small hands to get up to the higher frets. I really do like the pickups too. I usually prefer a flame top and don't go for solid colors, but I didn't have a choice with this model, but I can say with the ebony neck, MOP inlays and nice burgundy finish, it looks really classy. I didn't like the approach they took with the coil splits so I made a small mod. Fretwork on this thing is amazing.

Although probably not specific to the modern, I am under impressed with QC of my specimen. But I'm happy to answer questions you have about the modern!

bytemare

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I also had an Epiphone modern (long story how I ended up with both). Anyway it's very similar to the Gibson and played great. There were some minor differences but it played well too. The neck carve seemed to be exactly the same.

mjross

Reaction score
I have one and I like it. What I like is the neck carve thing. Personally I don't like the way it looks, it looks clunky to me, but it makes a huge difference for me. It allows my small hands to get up to the higher frets. I really do like the pickups too. I usually prefer a flame top and don't go for solid colors, but I didn't have a choice with this model, but I can say with the ebony neck, MOP inlays and nice burgundy finish, it looks really classy. I didn't like the approach they took with the coil splits so I made a small mod. Fretwork on this thing is amazing.

Although probably not specific to the modern, I am under impressed with QC of my specimen. But I'm happy to answer questions you have about the modern!
I was looking at purchasing one but thought that it would be a good idea to pole the people that actually play them and better yet, gig them. I’ve watched some demo videos but these people are selling them and everything is wonderful. It’s actual players like you I’m interested in hearing from. Seems like when Gibson strays off the beaten path, you get mixed feelings. This guitar appears to be no exception. Thank you Sir for your input!

bytemare

Reaction score
I've jammed quite a few times with this, I really like it. I really want modern features in a guitar and I would take even more "modern" features if they would offer them :D The asymmetrical neck felt funny to me at first but I've begun to really like it. Same with compound radius fretboard. I love the pickups on this too. Sorry for so many replies, I keep thinking of more things to add . It's quite expensive so you'd have to really want these features to justify the extra coin.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are polarizing to traditionalists but it’s not a bad evolution for some people. I like the heel, although my “modern” is an Axcess which is even nicer as an evolution.

They make a version with and without the pickup rings. I might be mixing up the modern and the HP though.

I kind of like it without the rings as it sets them apart - I think the HP are the ones offered without rings. I played one and liked it. No nibs and jumbo ish frets. Played great, felt like a Les Paul customized to be more modern. The electronics on these new flavors are good, coil taps, sometimes phasing, and generally hotter pickups.

I think the new retail price is stupid. You can find used and basically mint Modern and HP for significantly less than retail.

Last edited:

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If there wasn’t such a great story to go with it I would say sell it and order 2 made to measure LOL. These can go for a lot!

bytemare

Reaction score
If there wasn’t such a great story to go with it I would say sell it and order 2 made to measure LOL. These can go for a lot!
Oh It's not sentimental or anything like that. I could sell it if I wanted to. But what would be "made to measure?" What do you mean?

Would love to have the axcess, that's how the carved heel should be!!

Oh I'd love an HP too (I had a studio HP, nice guitar!). The issue at least for me is the wider fingerboard took more effort for me to play on.. small hands :/

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh It's not sentimental or anything like that. I could sell it if I wanted to. But what would be "made to measure?" What do you mean?

Would love to have the axcess, that's how the carved heel should be!!

Oh I'd love an HP too (I had a studio HP, nice guitar!). The issue at least for me is the wider fingerboard took more effort for me to play on.. small hands :/
Ordered from Gibson with every spec chosen down to the actual top.

Latest Threads