New Legacy Les Pauls Australia

criss

Reaction score
Just wondering if these Legacy Les pauls are selling the U.S yet . I was told by the shop who s stocking these that there made by epiphone and there re branding them .

Maple cap , Mahogany body and neck , Emg HZ humbuckers

Rosewood fingerboard with crown inlays

Gold hardware on the Diamond model and chrome on the emerald models

They come in Gold , Black , Cherry sunburt , Tobacco , Cream vintage white , Amber , Wine red . Laquer finish

All come with a Vintage brown with pink lining hardcase

$600 for the none gold hardware and & $700 for the gold harware version

Epiphone s entire amp range plus there Valve amps are also being sold in australia under the Legacy brand .

Theres a cream one on oz ebay at the momment if you want a look at them . Ill post some pics of the stock that the local store near me has . They had a few flame tops 1 amber and a tobacco, a cream , gold and a black there . I did nt get a chance to play them but they did look quite nice . Ill fire a few up and give a full report too .

ELECTRIC GUITAR LEGACY LP STYLE EMG PICK UPS - HARDCASE - eBay, Electric, Guitars, Musical Instruments. (end time 03-Apr-08 20:11:14 AEST)

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The case looks like those used at PaylessGuitars.com or another knock off maker that I'd seen - these companies make Epi and Gibson knockoffs in China. They aren't part of Epiphone - Epiphone and the China factory are owned by Gibson, and I'm very confident that they only guitars that come out of thier factory have "Epiphone" on the headstock. So, I don't think that those are really made by Epiphone, but are more likely someone like payless guitar's new marketing strategy since so many people have caught on to their Epiphone fakes. Quality could be just as good or even better, though.

Welcome to the forum!

(Also - those aren't EMG's! Heel looks different than my Epis as well.)

gofguitarKP

Reaction score
Diceman - Whats yer opinion about Payless guitars??? the prices are a temptation....:fingersx:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd never support those thieving bastards! They deserve prison sentences for ripping off all of the foolish goons who buy their shit thinking they're getting Gibsons, bringing those pieces of garbage in to the USA to be resold by other dishonest assholes on Ebay...

No strong feelings, really. ;)

savage118

Reaction score
I'd never support those thieving bastards! They deserve prison sentences for ripping off all of the foolish goons who buy their shit thinking they're getting Gibsons, bringing those pieces of garbage in to the USA to be resold by other dishonest assholes on Ebay...

No strong feelings, really. :rofl:
DITTO
Tell us how you really feel.......... lol.

gofguitarKP

Reaction score

No strong feelings, really. ;)
I guess they make guitars out of a table tennis table anyway (see the insane prices and youll come to the same conclusion as me LOL) and the knobs a stupidly wrong placed...So these 2 obs calmed me down...hehe

lifele55

Reaction score
Well at least they didn't use the Epiphone name...

criss

Reaction score
The store did have a ton of the epiphone junior 5 watt valve amps that every one is raving about , plus all the other ephiphone amps re branded as legacy .

Thats why i thought he was on the up and up with the guitars , he swore there made at the epiphone factory . I think he did say some of the harware was different .

So all the knob s are way off ?

Cheers

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't heard anything about it - I'm not saying that its impossible, just surprising IMO. Gibson has done some crazy shit lately, so who knows!!

Those fake EMG's really throw me off - that shouldn't be happening w/ an Epiphone guitar.

Play them both side by side and see if you notice a difference!

criss

Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't heard anything about it - I'm not saying that its impossible, just surprising IMO. Gibson has done some crazy shit lately, so who knows!!

Those fake EMG's really throw me off - that shouldn't be happening w/ an Epiphone guitar.

Play them both side by side and see if you notice a difference!

Thanx for all your input , ill give them a go and see how they sound ect .

The store is a big chain in melbourne so i went up and grabbed a catalogue . There a well know group of shops so i hope there not selling fakes .

Below is a scan of there add for the legacy guitars and amps .

All the talk about fakes has kinda got me a bit spooked about what to buy and from who . Was thinking of buying this epiphone from ebay , any thoughts would be a huge help

Thanx for all the help diceman

S413New Epiphone Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst - eBay, Electric, Guitars, Musical Instruments. (end time 04-Apr-08 20:26:10 AEST)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/criss066/LastScan.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/criss066/LastScan-1.jpg

Voodooman

Reaction score
Hey Criss,
Dude, all Gibson and Gibson affiliated companies (epiphone, Dobro etc.) are brought into Oz and distributed by A.M.I. (Australian Musical. Imports) who also own Gallins guitars. I believe there is a Fitzroy store. so, if you want the facts either call Gibson's 24 hour hotline, check their website (there's links to all of their affiliates) or go talk to Gallin's. They do not carry or sell Legacy. Legacy is not an epiphone copy or rename or any hocus pocus phoney baloney statement that this totally unethical idiot told you. Leagcy is a cheap beginners guitar that you might get if you aren't sure whether or not you want to get into playing guitar. I've seen them for like a hundred and fifty bucks Oz. And for that kind of price in Australia you're not going to get anything brand new that's reliable, let alone have any tonal quality. I would save up a bit longer and get a real Epiphone. Gallin's will give you a kick ass deal on a new one, or check Ebay for a used one near you, and go check it out and play it. Eitherway, steer clear of Legacy. Good Luck:slash::slash::wave:

Thanx for all your input , ill give them a go and see how they sound ect .

The store is a big chain in melbourne so i went up and grabbed a catalogue . There a well know group of shops so i hope there not selling fakes .

Below is a scan of there add for the legacy guitars and amps .

All the talk about fakes has kinda got me a bit spooked about what to buy and from who . Was thinking of buying this epiphone from ebay , any thoughts would be a huge help

Thanx for all the help diceman

S413New Epiphone Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst - eBay, Electric, Guitars, Musical Instruments. (end time 04-Apr-08 20:26:10 AEST)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/criss066/LastScan.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/criss066/LastScan-1.jpg

Voodooman

Reaction score
Actually, now that I looked at the guitars on Ebay, this Legacy (classic Collection) must be a step up from what I've seen. I have been in Music City Sydney, and the salesperson told me that they are junk Kmart guitars, and that Epiphones are way better. But I would play it eitherway, and compare it to a Epi at that price point, or for that price, I would keep my eyes peeled for a good used Gibson L.P.

davebag89

Banned
Reaction score
i own a legacy emerald series, the pickups aint fake they are open coil emg hz anyhow, solid mahogany body and top, rosewood fingerboard, grover tuners, its a pretty sweet guitar and it is definately made by epi, it has the same pots, lol

alpinestudio

Reaction score
i own a legacy emerald series, the pickups aint fake they are open coil emg hz anyhow, solid mahogany body and top, rosewood fingerboard, grover tuners, its a pretty sweet guitar and it is definately made by epi, it has the same pots, lol
I used to be an avid EMG user especially the HZ series. I have never seen full open coils HZ series in my life. Only ones that come close enough are the H1's and H2's that have only 1 row exposed of open coils and even those pole pieces are black. See for yourself http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=17&catalogid=99 EMG's humbuckers tend to have covers over them, regardless if they are half exposed like Gibson or Epiphone stock pickups with covers. I'm going to say fake on this one...unless EMG specifically made those pickups for that market, which I highly doubt.

davebag89

Banned
Reaction score
I used to be an avid EMG user especially the HZ series. I have never seen full open coils HZ series in my life. Only ones that come close enough are the H1's and H2's that have only 1 row exposed of open coils and even those pole pieces are black. See for yourself Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups | EMG-H1 B/N EMG's humbuckers tend to have covers over them, regardless if they are half exposed like Gibson or Epiphone stock pickups with covers. I'm going to say fake on this one...unless EMG specifically made those pickups for that market, which I highly doubt.
emailed EMG for info, ill keep you posted

Muck Fe

Reaction score
Here's some info I've put together on these guitars.

From what I understand, they are indeed legit and made for a British company who have a licence from Gibson. The guitars are built in one of the Epi factories in China and the pickups are OEM EMGs. Here's Legacy's Website:-

Legacy Musical Instruments, Electric Guitars

They are distributed in Australia by a different company than Epi/Gibson (AMI) and of course by Legacy themselves in Britain. Not sure if they are available in Europe. Definitely not available in North America.

Here's a scan from Billy Hyde's (large music retailer in Aus.) catalogue (Oct 07 - Feb 08, latest I have).

Yes, you Americans can laugh at the prices we have to pay for Music Instruments - what friggin' global economy!!!

I have played these guitars and I gotta say, I much prefer my Epis.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Mods, if I have crossed a line in this post, please tell me and I will remedy.

Rick.

Bluesbreaker

Reaction score
As previous posters have already said - and a bit of info.

Legacy is a legitimate instrument maker who until recently sold most of
their products in the UK through the high street retailer Sound Control.
They have nothing to do with Payless and aren't sold as the genuine thing.

Sound Control which has recently been bought over and relaunched as
'Reverb' is/was the UK's largest high street musical instrument retailers.
It would'nt be in their interest to sell fake guitars.

As you can see from Muck Fe's post they make quite a few other styles
although I've only seen the LP, SG, Tele and Strat copies here in the UK.

I have no idea where else in any other part of the world they are sold,
but I assume they sell under different brand names too. I have never
heard any reference to Epiphone being the source of these guitars and
very much doubt if they are connected.

All I can say as far as the Les Paul styled guitars is though is that for the
price, you get a decent quality guitar: material, build and sound wise
considering they aren't one of the more expensive copies.

There is a bit of a market here in the UK for copied and 'styled' guitars
mainy because they (Gibson/Fender etc) cost a lot more than in other
parts of the world. There is a lot of chinese firewood out there but if
you look around you can find some of the better quality stuff.

Btw, I don't work for Sound Control or Legacy.

Haha in fact the last time I was in there, some gormless twat was trying
to fob me off after I took a guitar back that had some ugly scrapes on the
fretboard. I actually bought it as ex-display but it was just bugging me too
much. Got it changed in the end, but not before listening to some bullshine.

And if you didn't fall asleep reading that, have a ceeegar. :lol:

Ace Warslave

Reaction score
i know this is a old thread but i have just bought a emerald legacy les paul..this is the first chinese guitar i have bought by choice i can only say wow this is one heck of a guitar for the price..it compares well with my eppis and gibsons all i can say is go play one..:thumb:

Latest Threads