New Leads On Old Pickups

questionman

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of 70s SDS-1 pickups, been looking for a complete set for a long time now, but its going to be really tight getting the pickups in due to the leads being very short. I have never done this....I quite honestly have no clue what this would involve. Simple as unsoldering the old leads and putting new ones on? More indepth? Help a noob out here

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
SDS-1 single coil Strat pickup?

questionman

Reaction score
SDS-1 single coil Strat pickup?
Yup

I never even knew these existed before until a good friend of mine brought out her dads old 1970 Strat with one in the bridge. Love Super Distortions from that era and was floored that there would be a single coil version out there

endial

Reaction score
Youtube is your friend. Try a search on "replacing lead wire to single coil pups", or something of that nature.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put them in my '78 Strat... really woke it up. The originals were pretty dead, but of course, at the time I was chasing an EVH/Boston tone.

What I'm seeing on images looks like the leads are connected directly to the windings under the tape.
I wouldn't mess with that, and would instead simply extend the remaining leads and insulate with heat-shrink.

Latest Threads