New Korina Explorers and Vs

sputnik

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted. Suppose I should have posted this in the Other Guitars section but thought it may get more interest here.

I’ve got say, I’m excited for these. Looks like the first run is Murphy Lab limited. 19 Explorers and 81 Flying Vs just like the original run according to Cesar. They are going to continue making them after the Murphy Lab run though. Hopefully they won’t be too expensive.

Prototypes around the 50 minute mark.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too expensive?

Not for a lawyer or doctor or a bank robber.

I would love to have one. Especially the Explorer.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Distinctive and costly........with the Braz boards these will be big bucks and not for the faint hearted.........I'll take a stab at US$19k each......
What do you guys reckon they'll be??

sputnik

Reaction score
Distinctive and costly........with the Braz boards these will be big bucks and not for the faint hearted.........I'll take a stab at US$19k each......
What do you guys reckon they'll be??
You’re not far off. I saw a post on another forum where someone was quoted around $20k.

jhs77

Reaction score
20k V, 30k Explorer. The Explorers will be impossible to get. Only 19?!?!!!

DanD

Reaction score
This release is total collector fodder.

I'd have 4 explorers commissioned with ultra light Korina, proper nitro and braz for 30k with my choice of pups/ electronics.

Another Gibson cash grab.

asapmaz

Reaction score
This release is total collector fodder.

I'd have 4 explorers commissioned with ultra light Korina, proper nitro and braz for 30k with my choice of pups/ electronics.

Another Gibson cash grab.

With all due respect, I think you're entirely missing the point.
Collector fodder or not, you can neither blame Gibson nor the purchasers of these instruments.
Definitely can't blame Gibson because they've simply figured out another way to turn a couple grand in materials and labor into $30k, which is genius.
But most importantly, you can't blame the buyers. They'll be laughing all the way to the bank when their 1/19 Explorer is fetching $50k in 5 years in the open market and your 4 hypothetical replicas are worth half what you paid for them.
Yes, we live in a strange world where inherent value is simply a small part of the equation.
No one buys these things because they think they are the holy grail of tone or workmanship. Those who can afford these instruments and are lucky enough to source them know they're simply great investments. You think those who can and do drop $30k on a modern instrument simply do it out of impulse? They're not cattle with uncontrollable urges. Maybe they've thought about everything you've thought about and much more.

DanD

Reaction score
No blaming or hating here. Just a wake up call.

Like I stated, collector fodder. Nothing more.

I'm sure they know what they're buying.

I wonder how many folks who paid top dollar for their Korina LPs with Futura headstocks thought they'd cash in?

That never happened. It's a crap shoot for the wealthy.

Long may they spend!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I just have a Braz board put on my '18? I can do the hand wired controls myself.

jhs77

Reaction score
I have to agree with Asapmaz. Hen’s teeth rarity, One piece korina, Murphy, Brazilian…like it or not, these things will only appreciate in the coming years…

goldtop0

Reaction score
Yeah well Gibson make 'em and we take 'em............now if some bright bastid were to contact their friendly dealer and get a quote from CS for a korina M2M Explorer it'd be interesting to see how that came out dollarwise ;)

Latest Threads