New Kittens....

devin dude

Reaction score
Was walking the dog around the outside of the house and she found three new born kittens in the bushes by the house next door. The mother was with them, but I just got home from work and there're all alone now.

Their eyes are barley open and are very cute to say the least. Sorry , i don't have a camera phone to take photos. What if anything should be done? The house next door is not occupied because she's in a nursing home. So it would seem their future is in my hands.

What should I do? We have a no-kill shelter in my town , maybe I should bring them there on Monday. Let me know what you all think, thanks.

I can't have them living in my house with a dog and I'm really not a cat person, but they're very, very cute little critters.

weirdotis

Reaction score
If you really wanted to secure your place in heaven, you would buy some of this:

And warm it up and put it in a baby bottle with a soft nipple and nurse each one individually. Then, maybe 5-10 minutes after you're done nursing each one, get a cotton ball and wet it with warm water, and wipe it across their "areas" until you see a little yellow stain on each one. This simulates the natural instincts of the mother, since they don't have full function of their bladders yet (as I understand it).

At least, until you can get them to a shelter. :)

EDIT: That is, if you're planning to take them to a shelter.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
The mom should come back I would think ..... or hope ..

bobarino

Reaction score
leave 'em with their mom until they're 2 months old.

Lysol

Reaction score
If you're up to it, give them a temporary home (your house/shed) and feed them and find them all a loving family to be a part of!!!

Otherwise take them to a no-kill shelter as no urban animal deserves to be homeless.

Whatever you do, make sure they stay alive and healthy-happy, that is the prime objective here.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully mamma is just out getting something to eat. If she doesn't return in a few hours I would definitely take the kittens to the NO KILL shelter only. They will need to be nursed by hand by someone. If you can get them to the shelter by tomorrow you don't need to buy KMR, they will be ok but might cry a lot. If it will be longer then you or someone willing to do it will need some KMR and to do the things that was suggested above with feeding and then making them pee. If the mother isn't back soon they really need to be brought inside though, they are goners if they are left all alone in the night, easy prey for another animal.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also if momma does return, setting out some food for her would encourage her to stick with her babies, but don't leave food unless she is there, as it might attract other animals to it.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Please try to take care of them while you look for good homes for them

Iron Blimp

Reaction score
Ya know, all kinds of young pussy has been showing up at my door for 30 years.....it's a curse I tell ya. :naughty:

devin dude

Reaction score
Hopefully mamma is just out getting something to eat. If she doesn't return in a few hours I would definitely take the kittens to the NO KILL shelter only. They will need to be nursed by hand by someone. If you can get them to the shelter by tomorrow you don't need to buy KMR, they will be ok but might cry a lot. If it will be longer then you or someone willing to do it will need some KMR and to do the things that was suggested above with feeding and then making them pee. If the mother isn't back soon they really need to be brought inside though, they are goners if they are left all alone in the night, easy prey for another animal.

Just went out and checked, their mom is with them now. It's 9:40EST. I'm so relieved to see the mom all curled up totally surrounding her kits.

I'm keeping a close eye on them without disrupting their shelter. The mother has moved them to a very safe place now. I'm afraid she will move them overnight.

I'll check on them in the morning and give you an up-date. Thanks for the responses and positive input. :)

bobarino

Reaction score
Just went out and checked, their mom is with them now. It's 9:40EST. I'm so relieved to see the mom all curled up totally surrounding her kits.

I'm keeping a close eye on them without disrupting their shelter. The mother has moved them to a very safe place now. I'm afraid she will move them overnight.

I'll check on them in the morning and give you an up-date. Thanks for the responses and positive input. :)
if she notices you checking on them frequently, she'll be tempted to move them to some other place.

Latest Threads