New ish Guitar Day!!

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well I got a second 50s Standard in a trade i did with my brother. The guitar is almost new it has a gash on the top of the body its not too bad but its there! This one has an even bigger neck profile than the other 50s standard I own. I give up on these neck profiles epiphone puts out. There is really no rhyme to reason to what profile is what?? This one is just Bigger than the other . The other has a chunky neck but no shoulders. This one has an even chunkier neck plus its got some shoulder!! I compared it to my 60's standard and it is about the same but fatter... Here is a picture of the guitar next to my other 50s standard. I just got the guitar up packed. I will post more after work tomarrow....
50s standard 02.jpg

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
Congrats! Gold tops are the bomb!

A lot of the differences in profile boil down to that thick poly finish. If you measure using a contour gauge, you'll likely see that the differences are actually not that big. That extra paint is enough to make your hand feel the shoulder more than it needs to - it's literally like a M&M with a shell coating the entire guitar - except one M&M got an uneven or thicker coating than the other.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well I don't know why i am shocked that two of the same model guitars have entirely diff neck profiles?? I mean out of the 4 59's I own none of them are even close to each other.. For a minute there I thought my brother may have confused the guitar for a 50s when it was a 60s but nope it's a 50's... I thought the profile on my first 50's was nice and chunky until I got this one last night. I like the bigger necks so its a win win for me. I have to put a harness in the guitar so it will be a few days until i can sort the guitar out and see how I like it. So far it seems cool. I was thinking about selling the guitar off but now with the diff neck profile I think I may just keep the guitar. I will post some more pics later on today when I get home from work....

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK I think i'm going to put the490's in this thing with the Gibson Pcb harness ?? I have a kit I bought a few months back. I also have the aluim bridge and tail pice I took off my Gibson Tribute I am going to use on the guitar as well... I am going to leave the stock tuners on it for now. I don't really have the extra money to spend right now... Once I get started I will post pics as I go along. Going to be a really cool build!! This guitar has a nice fat wide neck and is heavier than most my epi's...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, that is just crazy about all the neck sizes even of the same guitar being so different.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Congrats, that is just crazy about all the neck sizes even of the same guitar being so different.
Only reason I am not suprised is because of my 4 59s all having different profiles.. I can play them all so its just a matter of what ones are my favorites... I got the weekend off so I plan on working on the guitar. I need to order a dremill tool so i can get this Gibson harness to fit... I will post pics once I get started...

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
Oh weird - didn't know the Gibson PCB doesn't drop in directly. I never tried, but I always thought it'd work given that the Obsidian stuff drops in directly

Latest Threads