New guy with an Appetite Epi. has questions

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All that Slash stuff is a ripoff. I had a Slash Epi, when I decided to look under the hood, worst piece of crap I've ever seen. But it was a Slash guitar right? :D

I'm sorry, but I don't play to the cool crowd no more, I prefer value than some certificate of "authenticity", but that's just me.

If you wanted validation you should have asked for it directly though.

Reaction score
All that Slash stuff is a ripoff. I had a Slash Epi, when I decided to look under the hood, worst piece of crap I've ever seen. But it was a Slash guitar right? :D

I'm sorry, but I don't play to the cool crowd no more, I prefer value than some certificate of "authenticity", but that's just me.

If you wanted validation you should have asked for it directly though.
You want my guitar don't you.

reSINguitarist

Reaction score
I'll say this about the guitar, it makes me want to play more.

You just answered all your questions right there. Who gives a sh!t what you payed(unless it was a STUPID price)? Many have said it before me, but I'm gonna say it again...

If it speaks to you and makes you want to play more, then you win.:D

Eli

notthedocter27

Reaction score
if you like the way it plays,.. drool over looking at the finish,...sounds excellent,.. money well ,.. spent and enjoy your new guitar,... sweet looking guitar congrats!

Iceman0124

Reaction score
You may want to wait awhile for the 50's tribute studios with humbuckers to hit the states, the P90 versions run $849 street, the HB versions should be around that,

Gibson.com: Gibson USA Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/142568-ngd-tributs-50s-hb-gt.html

if you can live without binding and a flame veneer, could be the perfect fit.

I'm still in love with my 50's tribute GT P-90

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
congrats on the AFD LP, you're making me GASSING for one, big-time, LOL!!

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
Great guitar man! I been wanting one of the slash goldtops really like the gold on those and the one I played was awesome. Pay no mind to pissy old dogs with nothing to prove.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I love the tops on those guitars.The trans amber is the Shite.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You want my guitar don't you.

uh, let me think.. nope! :D lol

The point here is simple. YOU played it, YOU picked it... YOU ask here on a public forum where people will tell you they agree and some will tell you they don't. Who cares?

I see all that Slash stuff as marketing plots, nothing else, but some folks get inspired by that merchandise and hell, who knows, where there's inspiration...

I understand people asking about guitars before they buy, but why after unless they're planning to sell or are having second thoughts... When they do, the word "validation" comes to mind real quick.

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey, he could have got the Gibby version and paid an extra 2 grand for bragging rights!

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Hey, he could have got the Gibby version and paid an extra 2 grand for bragging rights!

And a real maple cap instead of tracing paper thick veneer, a nitro finish,better materials and construction, a guitar built more much closer to the specs of guitar its modeled after in more ways than just looks and pickups.... and a much higher resale value among other things.

I've got nothing against epiphone, one of my faves in my collection is my old early 90's MIK epi sorrento semi hollow, but honestly IMO, paying over $600 for a made in china or korea epi LP just isnt worth it with all the other readily availble options on the market right now. There are some killer USA gibson options you can get new that are cheaper than the AFD epi, in the used market if you sit tight and do the leg work you can find great scores in the used market.

I wish these were MIJ elitist type, mark em up a couple hundred to compensate and I think more folks would a lot more interested...and while they have the say, $1300 MIJ AFD, offer one built in china and mark it around $700...to me that makes a lot more sense.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And a real maple cap instead of tracing paper thick veneer, a nitro finish,better materials and construction, a guitar built more much closer to the specs of guitar its modeled after in more ways than just looks and pickups.... and a much higher resale value among other things.

I've got nothing against epiphone, one of my faves in my collection is my old early 90's MIK epi sorrento semi hollow, but honestly IMO, paying over $600 for a made in china or korea epi LP just isnt worth it with all the other readily availble options on the market right now. There are some killer USA gibson options you can get new that are cheaper than the AFD epi, in the used market if you sit tight and do the leg work you can find great scores in the used market.

I wish these were MIJ elitist type, mark em up a couple hundred to compensate and I think more folks would a lot more interested...and while they have the say, $1300 MIJ AFD, offer one built in china and mark it around $700...to me that makes a lot more sense.

Exactly, I see the entire thing as paying for some expensive autograph. I had a Slash LP, it was an ordinary Epi with an inflated price tag. Got rid of it.

When it comes to "signature" guitars, I understand people buying the real deal, but not a knock off of a knock off of a replica. That to me is just ridiculous. You get Gibson copying a replica, then Epi making not a replica but a guitar that "kinda looks" like the replica but under the hood..... well, don't look there.

But the fact we need to remember and the one I've wrote about here is that there's no bad guitar as long as it inspires the player. It's as simple as that, it could be a $200 guitar or a $5,000 guitar, whatever, if it inspires the player then that's what really matters, that's the real value.

Reaction score
Exactly, I see the entire thing as paying for some expensive autograph. I had a Slash LP, it was an ordinary Epi with an inflated price tag. Got rid of it.

When it comes to "signature" guitars, I understand people buying the real deal, but not a knock off of a knock off of a replica. That to me is just ridiculous. You get Gibson copying a replica, then Epi making not a replica but a guitar that "kinda looks" like the replica but under the hood..... well, don't look there.

But the fact we need to remember and the one I've wrote about here is that there's no bad guitar as long as it inspires the player. It's as simple as that, it could be a $200 guitar or a $5,000 guitar, whatever, if it inspires the player then that's what really matters, that's the real value.
Ok, now seeing that you have very strong and valid opinions about quality vs. $$. Give me your opinion on the Les Paul Blackback Epi. You see when I went into GC thats what I was originaly looking for, they didn't have one. The AFD was on the wall so I tried it out. It was like coming home after years of Ibanez's Fender's & B.C. Rich's. It's kind of crappy actually, trying to support the small town music stores but they just cant afford to cary Gibson and Epiphone. So Blackback, Thoughts??

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Hey, no argument here. I have 2 Epi's that I paid less than 500 ea for and I love them both. Next up for me is the Gibson Joe Bonamassa Studio. It's already on order. I just hope the rumors of them already being sold out are not correct.

straybeat

Reaction score
Slash made his fame playing on a LP Standard, and that Appetite is a copy of a copy, and I don't think Epiphone went all the way to make sure it was a faithful reproduction.

This is probably old news to some of you, but, I just watched a video on youtube about this the other day. Slash was saying some guy in the valley built his guitar, called him and said come check it out, I think you'll like it. Slash said the back of the neck was so thin he couldn't believe the truss rod didn't break through. But he played it and fell in love and knew it was his!

Pinkie

Reaction score
Its a fine looking Epi and it has upgrades so no guff from me.

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score

teledog got sucked in by the "marketing machine" and is now full of contempt for the ones who got the epi version. the posts are full of bitterness, discontent and imposture.

lucifarion

Reaction score
IMO the slash LP's look sound and play great... you do pay a little more for the signature but they are as fine as fine can be... I have heard of the factory not really paying much attention to the "details" during the wiring phase but all in all I've heard good things about them. Plus as someone else said it's a copy of a replica... slashes "real" LP was just a knock off of a "real" gibson LP.... all in all the AFD LP's are nice and are worth the price. The blackbacks are just hype they are exactly the same specs as a reg custom they just have the weird open faced pick-up covers, and a black back with a white top... the fret board is NOT ebony it's rose wood.... they look cool but they aren't anything special for the money. played one recently it was OK but not that great. can't really put a finger on what I didn't like maybe it was just the one I played. The AFD LP is a way better bang for your buck.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
teledog got sucked in by the "marketing machine" and is now full of contempt for the ones who got the epi version. the posts that he make just spew hate, discontent and imposture.
Yeah I see what you mean about teledog, but even the boo birds give good input. Makes me view things a little more objectively

Latest Threads