New guitar: Eastman SB59 with monsterflames

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Thx @Hecubus! I like the look of the pickguard, but don’t dare to drill…
No hard sell on adding the pickguard here, but there is no "drilling" needed. You just need do a starter indententation with a small Philips screwdriver, then then just turn the screw in. I added a pickguard to one of my Les Pauls, and it was very easy -- took maybe a minute? I (also) would likely not have done it if I needed a drill. Beautiful guitar, by the way!

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I was looking at these too. But I read that Okoume is a softer wood and some people have complained that they dent really easily. I’ve never owned a guitar made of Okoume, so I don’t know if it’s true or not.
I'm not sure if its true or not either.... and I'm not planning on denting it soon LOL

All I know is that its very light weight (est. around 6 lbs), resonant and beautiful. Unplugged it still amazes me. If you're not comfortable with the soft wood, then DON'T pick one up and play it man! :D You've been warned lol

Besides Eastman... Suhr, PRS, Fender Custom Shop and there are surely others, are using Okoume for high end guitars, so to me, its a non-factor.

timichango

Reaction score
I was looking at these too. But I read that Okoume is a softer wood and some people have complained that they dent really easily. I’ve never owned a guitar made of Okoume, so I don’t know if it’s true or not.
Hm interesting. Don’t think it would deter me though - juniors and specials are begging to be played hard, worn in, and beat up, IMHO. If she takes some well-earned battle scars, then so be it.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
These are amazing guitars for the money. They’ll never get the resale or demand of the G brand but that’s okay… I plan to get another in the future..

moreles

Reaction score
I was recently given a high-end Eastman acoustic (market price about $2K) and was really shocked and impressed with the quality of design, materials, and build. Precision and accuracy of parts, cleanliness of fit, and quality of materials and finish are not just "better than Gibson for the money" -- they're better than most contemporary Gibson's (though Gibson itself is trying to up its own standards). As a company, Eastman appears to have a culture and system of human craftsmanship that is higher-level than a number oif American guitar factories and assembly lines. I used to try Eastmans -- they have always looked good -- and thought "wow -- fine budget guitar," but at this point in time they are really rocking. Enjoy yours! I sure wouldn't put a pickguard on that, but at leasat the Eastman pickguard is a better shape than the dopey rocket fin on Gibsons.

Latest Threads