New Guitar Center Exculsive Epiphone ES 335 Traditional Pro

Reaction score
I was recently at my local GC and played one of the new Epiphone ES 335 Trad Pro.WOW!

Now...I have no business picking up a new ES being that I just picked up a very nice Gibson 335 over the summer. However, this Epi totally kicked a$$. The fit and finish is excellent. None of the usual suspects...uneven frets, sharp fret ends, janky binding, and funky neck pitch. In fact, the pick ups even sounds great. This one sounds more like cross between a jazz box and a Gretsch. Big, smooth and boomy. Different than the other Epi ES 335's Trad Pros they had in stock...and they had four of them.

I know some folks have issues with their Epis, I would speculate those that do, buy them online, which is something I don't do because I have to hold the guitar neck in my hands before I buy. That said I put some money down on it while I give myself the one week "cool down" period to make sure I want it. While I wait does anyone have any experience with this particular model. What do you like? What don't you like? How long have you had it? Let me know.

P.S, I would like to keep to the new Epi 335 Trad Pro, and not so much a comparison to older models, similar models, etc.
Thanks

Here's a link of the guitar if you haven't seen it...

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Epiphone ES-335 Figured, 2020 -
Raspberry Tea Burst
(blue was the other color) and am very pleased
about the fit and finish as well as the playability of the Epi.

1632864847507.png

I am comparing it to two Epi Riviera's (2017 used & 2018 new) I
currently own. Even the used one which was set up much better
than the new one is not as nice as the Figured ES-335.

If Epi keeps going and as the Chinese builders get better what the
hell will happen to Gibson guitars? $550.00 for a well built git; GC
or not. Keep 'em coming.

I keep hearing from people on line talking about recent Epis and they
are all ravs.

Maybe we both got lucky and found the nice ones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Great looking guitar! if I remember correctly I think those came with push/push controls right?
Also, what did you replace the P/Us with? Are those TV Jones? Or something else?

Like I said earlier, I think most people knock Epiphones because they purchase them online (new or used) without handling them in person. However, If you know how to inspect a guitar (in person) you should be able to walk away with a guitar that ticks all the boxes. Before I picked up my Gibson 335, I tried over 5 examples before finding the "one". That's the reason I'll never buy a guitar online. It's too much of a crap shoot.

But, yes maybe we both got lucky. I haven't picked it up yet but it's been 3 days since I played it, and I can't stop thinking about it...and I just picked up a Gibson 335, so I guess that's a sign.:p

It's like the old saying "a broken clock is right twice a day". In other words, one out of 10 guitars that come off the "line" is going to the "one" no matter the brand.

Last edited:

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geographic circumstances make hands on 'test drives' impossible for me, and I suspect this is probably true for many if not most people.

After two big time lemons from Fender, I switched to G&L, both USA and Indonesia. The 12 inch fret board radius is perfect for me, and there are absolutely no buzzes, dead spots or anything. Truss rod adjustments, even the slightest, work. 200 bucks and an hour of time can gut/replace the electronics, and the end result is perfection.

I have never had any quality issues with Gibson, but I have more than enough of them ... maybe it is time to travel the Epi road.

Reaction score
Geographic circumstances make hands on 'test drives' impossible for me, and I suspect this is probably true for many if not most people.

After two big time lemons from Fender, I switched to G&L, both USA and Indonesia. The 12 inch fret board radius is perfect for me, and there are absolutely no buzzes, dead spots or anything. Truss rod adjustments, even the slightest, work. 200 bucks and an hour of time can gut/replace the electronics, and the end result is perfection.

I have never had any quality issues with Gibson, but I have more than enough of them ... maybe it is time to travel the Epi road.
I hear you about it being hard to buy when you don't have stores nearby. All I can say is the Epi 335 that I landed on after trying 4 examples was really, really good. I will also say the other 3 were not.

IF I happen to ever purchase a mid tier guitar it has to sound right straight out the gate. I've found you never see that investment come back around when you swap parts out come time to off load. However, I'm willing to wait and sift through many examples to find the "one".

Last edited:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
The Chinese instrument builders could equal or better Nashville with permission.

Imagine the screaming from cork sniffers if they announced anything above a certain price point would no longer be Epiphone.
They could even start spraying Nitro finishes, shipping them wet, and charging extra for the “aging” process of shipping overseas!

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Great looking guitar! if I remember correctly I think those came with push/push controls right?
Also, what did you replace the P/Us with? Are those TV Jones? Or something else?

Like I said earlier, I think most people knock Epiphones because they purchase them online (new or used) without handling them in person. However, If you know how to inspect a guitar (in person) you should be able to walk away with a guitar that ticks all the boxes. Before I picked up my Gibson 335, I tried over 5 examples before finding the "one". That's the reason I'll never buy a guitar online. It's too much of a crap shoot.

But, yes maybe we both got lucky. I haven't picked it up yet but it's been 3 days since I played it, and I can't stop thinking about it...and I just picked up a Gibson 335, so I guess that's a sign.:p

It's like the old saying "a broken clock is right twice a day". In other words, one out of 10 guitars that come off the "line" is going to the "one" no matter the brand.
Actually I bought it that way. TV Jones Classic and TV Jones. I have a git with similar PUs in a hollow body and
figured it would be a good fit. It is. The seller also gave me the Epi Humbuckers as well. As far as the push/pull...nope.

Enjoy that Epi MrT, sounds like a keeper.

Reaction score
Actually I bought it that way. TV Jones Classic and TV Jones. I have a git with similar PUs in a hollow body and
figured it would be a good fit. It is. The seller also gave me the Epi Humbuckers as well. As far as the push/pull...nope.

Enjoy that Epi MrT, sounds like a keeper.
WOW! that's a great find!
Thanks and enjoy that 335 in good health!

edhalen

Reaction score
Nice guitars guys!!!

I recently bought this Epi ES-339 from SW. It has a few flaws in the finish around the back edges in a few places but you have to look REALLY hard to see them. I replaced the tuners to Grover locking (regular Grovers came installed) - personal choice, wonder wiped the fretboard and polished the frets (again personal choice), and replaced the knobs. It plays and sounds so nice through my Bugera tube amp that I didn't want to return it. Other than those VERY minor finish issues It is an AWESOME guitar that punches WAY above the $600 (including the Grovers) it cost me. Loving it! One of the nicest things about it is I don't care if I scratch it or mark it up like I would if it cost me 4x as much.

ES-339.jpg

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice guitars guys!!!

I recently bought this Epi ES-339 from SW. It has a few flaws in the finish around the back edges in a few places but you have to look REALLY hard to see them. I replaced the tuners to Grover locking (regular Grovers came installed) - personal choice, wonder wiped the fretboard and polished the frets (again personal choice), and replaced the knobs. It plays and sounds so nice through my Bugera tube amp that I didn't want to return it. Other than those VERY minor finish issues It is an AWESOME guitar that punches WAY above the $600 (including the Grovers) it cost me. Loving it! One of the nicest things about it is I don't care if I scratch it or mark it up like I would if it cost me 4x as much.

View attachment 563969
That is a beauty ed. Enjoy the hell out of it.

Really digging the Natural or Blonde finsihes on guitars lately.

Uh oh...dammit...

GAS is erupting...I gotta go...

Latest Threads