new guitar cannot afford a setup

jimmydee

Reaction score
Not sure if I can post this here or not, my guitar is not a les paul but it is a les paul style guitar but anyway....
I just bought a ESP EC-256.I love the guitar ....I poured every penny I had into it and now I need some strings for drop C, if I put some heavier strings on it will it sound okay for drop C without a setup? I just don't have the money for setup right now. Thank you in advance.

hbucker

Reaction score
If you can't do the adjustments yourself and can't pay for it I guess you're left with try it and see how it works.

Neck relief will no doubt be affected, but if you don't get a lot of buzzing, you should be okay. Intonation can also be an issue, and will technically change a little. But if it isn't really audible just go with it. Many times intonation issues get lost in how we fret the instrument in the first place.

Yours is a very low tuning, so heavier strings are a must. That's a good call.

Good luck

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Do you have any guitar-playing friends who could help you?
I regularly do setups and stuff for my friends - I like tinkering and I'm much better at it tham actually playing the damn things :laugh2:
Oh, and if you're anywhere near Stuttgart / Germany I'd be happy to do it for you (for free obviously)!