New Guitar (Broken Headstock)

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think rule of thumb is 50% value lost with a headstock repair.

Might be worth contacting gibson if they wouldn't make you a new neck (for a big price)
New purchase, and it's a high-dollar replica.
It's not an irreplaceable vintage Gibson.
It's not an inexpensive Epiphone that isn't worth the cost to ship back to the seller.

Whether the fault is with the seller or the shipping company, Slick64 is entitled to what he purchased at the price he paid and nothing less.
Negotiation with the seller for an offset of value and having it repaired might be a valid option for something more rare or special... but this is an $8,000 LP replica and Slick should not be forced to take the hit.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
New purchase, and it's a high-dollar replica.
It's not an irreplaceable vintage Gibson.
It's not an inexpensive Epiphone that isn't worth the cost to ship back to the seller.

Whether the fault is with the seller or the shipping company, Slick64 is entitled to what he purchased at the price he paid and nothing less.
Negotiation with the seller for an offset of value and having it repaired might be a valid option for something more rare or special... but this is an $8,000 LP replica and Slick should not be forced to take the hit.

I totally agree with this.... being that this is not a known value like a Gibson instrument..... I can see proving the value of a replica of this quality would be difficult.... hopefully this was insured for the price paid. The OP should be entitled to full recovery........ I wouldn’t consider the cost of a reneck..... but that’s just my opinion. The OP should do what he thinks is best.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with this.... being that this is not a known value like a Gibson instrument..... I can see proving the value of a replica of this quality would be difficult.... hopefully this was insured for the price paid. The OP should be entitled to full recovery........ I wouldn’t consider the cost of a reneck..... but that’s just my opinion. The OP should do what he thinks is best.
Yep.
It's in the shipper's hands, but regardless of their ruling, OP is entitled to what he purchased.
His relationship with the builder will determine how that moves forward should the shipper deny the claim.

punkerg1

Reaction score
well that may not be as terrible as it looks, if sender insured, he should recieve $8k which should be refunded to you, then it depends on if shipping co takes possesion of guitar if not, you may be able to work out sweet deal w sender to keep, headstock repair less then $400, where would you be willing to keep, if he sent you back $6k? tough to decide, i had this happen to me right when covid started, it was a $900 burny in skb case showed up w same trype break, i kept seller refunded me $750, i got it fixed for $200 and have a killer for $350

punkerg1

Reaction score
btw, i knowevryone has had diff exp, ive had ups come an look at packing and leave and pay full amount and I see other peeps have been screwed, also side note, burny was in skb nice case and there was no outside damage tombox,it mustve just got slammed head first into ground...because burny had a flyod it was still in tune(shipper did NOT detune)

Latest Threads