New Guitar (Broken Headstock)

Slick64

Reaction score
UPS picked up the guitar yesterday. It's going to their claim damage location for investigation.

The seller is driving this claim.

jimmy G

Reaction score
Brings back memories of “purchases past”.
About ten years ago I bought a Les Paul over the internet. I received it, unpacked it and put it in a guitar stand ... thirty seconds later I heard a string noise, looked up and watched it fall forward right out of the stand, snapped the neck at the head. Strangest thing I ever saw. Took it out for repair and refret, sold for a scratch and moved on. Perhaps it had been damaged in shipping and the head snapped completely after I put it in the stand.

BigJim

Reaction score
Eeesh....

Since it's a replica, probably find a luthier out there that can pop a new neck on it easy enough.

I'll buy the body off you!

palmerfralick

Reaction score

After spending on a repair, the finished guitar will be worth half what an unbroken used guitar sells for.

Not many "whole neck replacements" repairs are out there. I'm sure someone has tried but most of the repairs are various means of splines. The problem is the serial number goes with the headstock not the body. A neck/body swap is still 'not original'='half price' like a repair or a refin -- it's a major operation that a future buyer won't take the risk on without cutting the price in half to make it more attractive.

One avenue is look on Stratosphere for a Gibson LP empty body husk and move all your hardware over to that. If you have a vintage LP then the decision is a lot more challenging. Then your hardware gets graded against the serial number on the donar neck+body. "Those are not the pickups that should be on that guitar, and the knobs are all wrong".

The shipper's insurance only covers the cost of repair, not the value loss. They do it so often, because of these guitars' construction design, they know what it should cost to repair and give you/the seller that range. You have to do the leg work in finding a guy to do the work.

Here is what is involved in the repair ... it's not cheap, what would you charge for the amount of time it takes to do the job? Factor in extra time to make any jigs. And the time of making mistakes along the way.

Another example with longer splines, in process.

Even after repairs ... the headstock can break again!

Shouldn't Gibson change the headstock to neck design and stop this madness? They make Epiphone guitars with most of the proper design changes to avoid the problem (scarf joint, lower headstock angle, shorter headstock, small truss route). If you do a 'broken guitar headstock' image search via google you'll see nearly all examples are Gibson models.

The seller is screwed. They will never buy another Gibson. You are unlikely to buy another Gibson and take this risk again. Every headstock break murders potential future sales of that brand with the parties involved, and yet Gibson seems adamant about 'this years reissue is even closer to the fragility of the 59s than ever before!'.

I would suggest returning the guitar, super sad for the seller but the cleanest for you, and getting an Epiphone, PRS, or Gretsch instead. Stick with 22 fret models (24s will sound like SGs) and if you swap pickups, put Gibson pickups and Gibson pots 'n caps as they are a system, to get the same tones. Or like half the Gibson buyers who want 'that classic tone!' immediately swap in sets of Seymour Duncan/etc aftermarket pickups -- the tone was in the logo not the pickups, apparently.

Good luck with the Gibson Headstock Drama.

Or get a new Tribute, the necks are maple like Leo's.

dasherf17

Reaction score
It happens... It took a hard impact in shipping. Likely standing upright and fell forward into string tension.
I gotta ask, tho, does the case or box it came in show that kind of damage?

dasherf17

Reaction score
Have heard of them, never seen one in person until today and I've bought and sold over a hundred guitars.

This arrived like this today.......

The seller and I are working something out, but need to wait 24hrs for the claim to be filed. What I'm looking for isn't blame right now.

It was fully insured. I'm wanting to know has anyone had this happen, how was the claim addressed, how long did it take, was the guitar repairable. etc....

What type of value hit would the guitar take. It was roughly $8K.

View attachment 505372 View attachment 505378 View attachment 505375 View attachment 505377 View attachment 505376 View attachment 505379
So sorry that happened...what a rude awakening...
It does look repairable...

jamhandy

Reaction score
Chalk another one up for UPS... such quality unionized American workforce...(Teamsters)...

United Package Screweruppers

Last package they left at my house, I was home, guy knocked on the door, before I could walk 10 feet to the door he was back in his truck... left my package of electronics on the steps... IN THE RAIN...

I now tell people "I cannot receive UPS at my house"... and never will again...

FedEx isn't much better...

I tend to buy stuff locally and not off the Internet, unless its a pedal or something smaller and harder to F-up

dasherf17

Reaction score
Yeah, my beef is with FedEx...my wife orders things from Chewy (3 big bags of dog food, got 5 canine mouths to feed...
Invariably, they leave the boxes leaning up against each other, having only one strip of the worst packing tape over the two top folds' gap (opening up as we speak), breaking the "seal"...to top THAT off, they leave the gate wide open...dog food...Chewy...gate...open? And that's on bright sunny days...
Excuse me, I have to play sumpun'...

abracadaben

Reaction score
damn... wood work is probably 50%. Id have a factory reneck. broken headstock on non vintage are too hard to sell later

abracadaben

Reaction score
Duuude WTF, just realized the tailpiece was under the headstock.
A.T.M

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seen a les Paul fall off a stand (cable got caught around their feet) and when they put the guitar on the stand and walked away it tried to follow, I watched it fall helpless to do anything for it. It bounced of the floor and........nada, nothing, no break, no dents, we couldn’t quite believe what happened, geezer was gobsmacked that it survived. Not much help to the OP though. Breaks my heart to see those pics.

I have also recently learned about the idea of not reducing string tension for shipping. The buy who returned my R8 didn’t. I suspect it had a fall flat on its face, the switch tip broke but that was all. Although shipping it in a box with Gibson plastered all over it is like painting a target on it. I never ship any guitar in a branded box.

judson

Reaction score
i’ve had experience as a seller of an item the was destroyed by UPS in shipment. UPS was brutal about the claim process...

In looking for better options moving forward, I was turned on to Shippingguitars.com They are AWESOME, you get a discounted price up to begin with, and while they do use UPS for the actual shipping, they handle their own insurance claims and from what I’ve read and been told, they are very good about getting claims done easily and quickly. I highly recommend them.
its actually shipguitars.com as i just did a search...the thing i dont get is, they say i drop it off at ups, does ups repack it?

if not what is the point of using them? if you could explain if you used them, it would be appreciated...

i did hear that if UPS packs an item for you, they will cover it 100%.....so maybe thats the gimmick? which is fine as long as the cost isnt a bazzillion dollars more.... :dunno:

Slick64

Reaction score
Everything at this point is up to UPS. I'll keep you guys posted.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I think rule of thumb is 50% value lost with a headstock repair.

Might be worth contacting gibson if they wouldn't make you a new neck (for a big price)

Latest Threads