New Guitar (Broken Headstock)

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens... It took a hard impact in shipping. Likely standing upright and fell forward into string tension.
I hadn't thought of that factor. So that would be a a good precaution to take, then, to drop the string tension right down before shipping or to take strings/bridge/tuners off?

I could all see that removing the tuners would take a lot of inertia out of that kind of impact.

And then foam or other packing wedges.

joff

Reaction score
My old VOS Beano had the headstock completely snap off in the care of Fedex...i had double boxed it, downtuned it half a step, put a bit of bubblewrap behind the headstock and used lots of bubblewrap around the hardcase...luckily, Gibson had arranged for Fedex and so the Custom Shop built me a brand new replacement.

Deftone

Reaction score
This is an Epiphone or some other brand? Why is the head stock covered in every picture?

Never had a problem with UPS. I've had several major issues with USPS.

I just received a Jackson King V via USPS and the outer box was thrashed. Damage to the case and a sizeable chip in the guitar as well. Seller agreed to a partial refund so all is good. I've never attempted a claim with USPS.

Hope this works out. I have a few broken Gibsons, they don't bother me.

Deftone

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that factor. So that would be a a good precaution to take, then, to drop the string tension right down before shipping or to take strings/bridge/tuners off?

I could all see that removing the tuners would take a lot of inertia out of that kind of impact.

And then foam or other packing wedges.
I always drop the string tension when shipping. Take extra care wrapping a Gibson neck. Never ship w/o a case.

mono

Reaction score
If it was fully insured, I would be claiming for the value of the entire guitar ($8k) and not even suggesting or entertaining the idea of anything less than that.

I've had this happen before and I essentially got the full value back, and got the keep the guitar which was worth roughly 2/3rds of its original value with the headstock repaired professionally.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I have nothing to add but my sadness. If anything others will learn from this terrible mistake.

Black Squirrel

Reaction score
Been there,

The only way to handle it is to get your money back, The insurance is to protect the seller/ shipper.. any Dealings or waiting for insurance or carriers to respond is solely the responsibility of the guy who packed the box and shipped it. I would agree to repackage the guitar as it came and make it available for the shipping company to inspect or issue a damage call tag and get it. I would only do that after I got my money back from the seller. You paid for a working guitar you did not get one. Get your money back and anything that happens with it after is not your affair.

NYCTPT

Reaction score
I lurk around here reading a bunch but don’t really post. Thought it would be interesting to share a different perspective on shipping. I’m a trumpet player mainly, wife plays woodwinds. It’s very common when buying online that the instrument is not shipped in its case bc of damage. Sometimes that means double the shipping, but so be it. The average instrument case is just not designed for how it will be treaded during shipping. I know they leave the factory like that, but if Gibson eats one every so often bc of damage, that’s just the cost of doing business. I can’t imagine shipping an expensive instrument in a case that has some slop in it. I would also seek a refund, better to start over in my opinion.

Ryan

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmmm....what is this thing?...... its not an Historic....., its not an Historic case.... 8k??

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just from this pic I can tell the back edge radius is too square and the heel is wrong for an Historic.

A2C859C6-B4DB-4DEF-A2DF-7D6D5A07ABE6.jpeg

If this is some kind of prehistoric it’s way over priced.

What’s with covering the headstock amigo?

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it, but it looks like that truss rod is showing a few threads.
Doesn’t look like there’s be much adjustment left.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a nylon nut,... not an Historic truss rod cover.... not a holly veneer.

D17598BD-2C9B-4048-A671-E934DB347F33.jpeg

Still like to know why $8k?

slug_maine

Reaction score
The seller is working with me, so I don't want to go there......I was thinking it was dropped flat. The box and case were in good shape. Nothing visible.

I would think a complete neck replacement might be the best option. Just looking for potential options for me and the seller to look at. First thing is to see how UPS responds.
UPS? If it wasn't in a wooden crate surrounded by 2' of bubble wrap they'll say inadequate packaging.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that's a replica? Either way it's a beauty and I hope you get this sorted out in a timely manner.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are nibs usually on these?
Not on this one,.... I imagine this is like others have mentioned a replica....a very expensive one.

That being said hard to give the OP an estimate of a hit with broken headstock....$8k for a replica seems a bit high and wouldn’t have that value for resale even it was intact,

?

Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
Ouch - my wife is asking why I’m making these horrible facial expressions while I look at this. If you get it repaired right, it’ll be stronger. But for that kind of money, I’d send it back and start the hunt again.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd give the Gibson Custom Shop a call, ask them what a re-neck would run including shipping both ways, then have the seller cut you a check.

If I were to buy that guitar from you I'd pay more money for a factory re-neck than a repaired headstock.

Latest Threads