New Gretsch day

mandobandit

Reaction score
Brand new Players Series 6120t
Only had about an hour at lunch with my drummer and about half an hour to lower action to my preference and the 11/48 Dadarrios will get changed out regular slinkies
After dinner and laundry load change (real life)
But the thing is just glorious
A bit more after some time with it but here is a tease
0F3F7571-CFD8-4835-BAB4-0826E6D3EEE9.jpeg
0F3F7571-CFD8-4835-BAB4-0826E6D3EEE9.jpeg

Last edited:

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s the real deal Gretsch right there!
Very nice!

S. Rock

Reaction score
congratulations !!!

I've heard good things about those. you shouldn't have any trouble putting smaller gauge strings on there. my '59 Annie loves 11s. 10s seem to rattle too much for me. but these newer Gretsch guitars seem to do very well with 10s.

mandobandit

Reaction score
Ok it's only been one day, and real life gets in the way of play time, but I'm simply blown away.
I feel like this is the first time since I bought my Collings D-1A 15 years ago, that I got every pennies worth and more.
I have my strings on it and was having a devil of a time getting it tune and stay, lighter gauge, lowered 1/64" ad of coarse a Bigsby.
A bit frustrating to say the least, then it occurred to me I didn't lower the pickups these magnets are strong, lowered pickups 1/64" bingo.
I've been playing some rock-a-billy on it, but it's crazy good at low, medium gain just amazing.
chair.jpg
IMG_4485.jpg

Last edited:

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I am happy to see Gretsch guitars getting some more love around here.

I have never played the Gretsh high sensitivity trons before but, I hear they are pretty good. Take a look at TV Jones site for his suggested settings for trons. They have always worked for my Gretsch guitars.

mandobandit

Reaction score
I am happy to see Gretsch guitars getting some more love around here.

I have never played the Gretsh high sensitivity trons before but, I hear they are pretty good. Take a look at TV Jones site for his suggested settings for trons. They have always worked for my Gretsch guitars.
I will do that thank you

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Everybody always talks about “that tone”, and rightly so. What gets me more than that tone is the fullness of that tone. I’ve tried a few jazz boxes looking for it, but my 5420 is where I finally found it. It feels more comfortable and familiar to me, but has that fullness.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Everybody always talks about “that tone”, and rightly so. What gets me more than that tone is the fullness of that tone. I’ve tried a few jazz boxes looking for it, but my 5420 is where I finally found it. It feels more comfortable and familiar to me, but has that fullness.
So did I make the right choice over a 335 type then? I think I did, or at least got something really different from my others.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
So did I make the right choice over a 335 type then? I think I did, or at least got something really different from my others.
You made the right choice for what you were looking for and got a great guitar to do it. I already had that. I was looking for something different. All points to the fact that they make really nice guitars!!

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
335s and Gretsch hollowbodies are very different animals. To my ears, 335s with PAFish type pups have more mid punch and are better voiced for more blues and driven rock tones. Gretsch hollowbodies have more clarity that can sound too scooped when really driven hard. 335s with T-Top type pups are closer to the Grtesch sound but, not a satisfying substitute for me. Once I became accustomed to the differences, I realized I needed a Gretsh and a 335 to get both sounds.

Dilver

Reaction score
Congrats on the 6120! If you’re new to Gretsch, check out a Nocturne Brain preamp pedal. Google it or do a search on Gretsch-talk.com.

Roxy13

Reaction score
335s and Gretsch hollowbodies are very different animals. To my ears, 335s with PAFish type pups have more mid punch and are better voiced for more blues and driven rock tones. Gretsch hollowbodies have more clarity that can sound too scooped when really driven hard. 335s with T-Top type pups are closer to the Grtesch sound but, not a satisfying substitute for me. Once I became accustomed to the differences, I realized I needed a Gretsh and a 335 to get both sounds.
My Gretsch is a semi hollow. So yes, still not a 335, but not a jazz box either.

mandobandit

Reaction score
Just robbed the Reverend soft touch spring out of my Guild, now we're talking

budg

Reaction score
Glad you like it . I was tempted on that one , but I like the bigger bodied Gretsches , so the 5420t stays . I wish there were more pro line Gretsches to try out here , but sadly thats not the case.