New Gibson Winter NAMM Models Announced

Sharp

Reaction score
I am a traditionalist by heart - the Les Paul electric guitar is probably the greatest electric guitar of all time. I am however not opposed to advancements/new ideas on the Les Paul in exactly the model they will be releasing at NAMM 2019 which is the Les Paul Modern. There are people who will like this idea. It won't be the purist's and traditionalists. Renaming the Les Paul HP to the Les Paul Modern is a perfect resolution to the fiasco that was 2015 & the 2016 to 2019 HP models. Also from the leaked pages earlier that were on the Gibson website - that they have since pulled - it looks as if Richlite was eliminated on some of these models - as their sneak peek specs showed ebony fingerboards on a few models.

I was very pessimistic when Henry J was removed - because usually in corporate take overs (suits) - the focus is not on building quality instruments, but instead on milking a legacy product patent for all it's worth and trying to sell you as to why their new ideas or stripped down ideas are right. To a degree that is where we ended up with Gibson at the end of the Henry J era. Accept Richlite, accept robo-tuners, accept wider necks, accept pcb electronics, accept us as a company buying into failing electronics brands, daws, etc. Gibson guitars and quality American made guitars was what the company was founded on. Everything remains to be seen - but the leaks for the USA revision are hopeful. It seems like someone was either reading, observing and talking to artists to get the real feel for what the consumer ideally wanted. The new Les Paul Standard line specs are excellent. There's a lot of fan fair for the new SG models and so on.

One thing to note - which I am aware is a controversial thought - the Henry J era is without a doubt the 2nd best era of the Gibson guitar company. Henry and company started out on the right footing in the 80's when they took over the company. They build many great USA Standard's & the Les Paul Classic was a hit. Also the addition of the Custom Shop & the reissue models that significantly improved in terms of trying to replicate the magic of the 50's and early 60's was a significant achievement that didn't exist prior to his era.
Is it too soon to be wistful for 'ole J.? I own 4 gibson products from his era; '87 studio standard LP; '04 LP Special Faded DC; '11 335, and a 2012 trad GT. Great guitars that I gig all the time. Just saying.

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what they were saying at NAMM, Custom Shop guitars can be ordered now, USA models are coming in a couple months.

moreles

Reaction score
Doesn't Richlite use a synthetic bonding agent (AKA "plastic") for its fibers? I honestly don't care when a builder uses "different" materials as lon=g as they provide an accurate, non-hyped description of the stuff. The "old" Gibson was famous for foising stuff on consumers and describing it -- Richlite, roasted maple -- as some miracle improvement. I think most people are fine with honest information, and it does look like the new guys are straightforward, and good listeners.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Richlite use a synthetic bonding agent (AKA "plastic") for its fibers? I honestly don't care when a builder uses "different" materials as lon=g as they provide an accurate, non-hyped description of the stuff. The "old" Gibson was famous for foising stuff on consumers and describing it -- Richlite, roasted maple -- as some miracle improvement. I think most people are fine with honest information, and it does look like the new guys are straightforward, and good listeners.

I like the bakelite boards and BBQ maple....

Bakelites are paper sheets infused with resin and cured under a lot of pressure and heat.... Consistency waaaaay beyond ANY natural wood.... Ain't going anywhere, ain't gonna wear out...

Copy paste stuff below...

(Richlite)

Richlite is an incredibly durable, extremely versatile, and highly sustainable material made from resin-infused paper. ... Composed of approximately 65% FSC®-certified or recycled paper content and 35% phenolic resin, Richlite's color comesfrom a combination of the paper and the amber tone of the resin.

(Resin stuff)

Since 1907, when Leo Baekeland synthesized the first manmade thermosetting plastic, the Bakelite brand has stood for the finest phenolic resins and molding compounds – backed by the best technical and formulation support in the world. There’s no better material than Bakelite phenolic resins when your application requires:

• Remarkable heat resistance
  • Surface hardness
  • Dimensional stability
  • Chemical resistance and
  • Electrical insulating properties

(BBQ maple is torrefied maple, Aging wood without age)

That process is called torrefaction. The result - torrefied wood - is sometimes also referred to as roasted or tempered.

In a nutshell, torrefaction involves heating wood in the absence of oxygen to remove water and volatiles. Electric guitar necks have been getting this treatment from certain builders for some time, making them lighter, stiffer and more resistant to temperature and humidity changes.

When applied to new acoustic guitar tops, torrefaction gives them a similar molecular composition - and therefore tonal response - to vintage guitars tops after decades of aging.

whatshisname

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of the possibility of torrefied mahogany, for use as bodies and necks, and torrefied maple for the tops? I wonder if that would bring us closer to vintage tone.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Makes sense... Once the wood is torrefied, it's not gonna change....

TarNhaK

Reaction score
i have the 2018 gibson tribute gold top and i think the 2019 tribute is a downgrade

afjungemann

Reaction score
i have the 2018 gibson tribute gold top and i think the 2019 tribute is a downgrade
Are you looking at the 2019 line announced at namm specs? There are essentially 2 2019 lines at this point, the 2019s they announced last fall and the namm 2019s. The namm 2019s are the ones people are discussing as the return to form.

TarNhaK

Reaction score
Are you looking at the 2019 line announced at namm specs? There are essentially 2 2019 lines at this point, the 2019s they announced last fall and the namm 2019s. The namm 2019s are the ones people are discussing as the return to form.
the 2019 namm tribute is the one i talk

ThroBak

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
We did a video of our experience at the Gibson 2019 NAMM both. We left impressed.

zanshin777

Reaction score
Are those 2020 models? I assume so. (So both on the website and stores they don't exist now.)

What an awkwardness that they had to present those now because of their ridiculous line-up from this summer.

Still the latest presented lineup is the right direction for Gibson.

edselman

Reaction score
Are those 2020 models? I assume so. (So both on the website and stores they don't exist now.)

What an awkwardness that they had to present those now because of their ridiculous line-up from this summer.

Still the latest presented lineup is the right direction for Gibson.
Not 2020. There won’t be anymore year designations.

zanshin777

Reaction score
I said 2020 because on 2019 summer there won't be presented any models and these ones will drops on store on late 2019's.

"There won't be anymore year designations."

They most probably will make changes like colors or other small changes. (Because all other brands do. Changes create an expectation and interest. So I think they'll do.)