New Gibson Winter NAMM Models Announced

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I hope they've done away with all the push/pull pots, E-Tune and other 'innovations'. I really hope (and it certainly looks like it) that they're getting back to doing what they have always been known for... making some of the most iconic guitars in the world.
Those things are now safely contained to the new "Les Paul Modern." :)

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
I think they accidentally uploaded the full specs in their website some days ago (I'm not sure about this tho, the captions said "coming soon")! I did get to see them before they were taken down. They can be wrong, or completely correct.

The specs I am writing is from what I saw, I am not claiming they are correct:

The standard Les Paul we've known for a long will now be called "Les Paul Modern". It will have a compound radius, the easy access neck heel. I didn't read more, I wasn't interested in it since I was very happy to see the traditional being called standard, plus some new jr.'s.

Both 50s and 60s Standard will have a double A-grade maple top, no weight relief.

The current double cut Les Paul will be sold with two pickups and one pickups version.

Best part is I noticed every model now has graph tech nut and comes with 10s set instead of 9s.

Again, I do not know how correct these specs are, I saw them briefly and I was very excited.

4symbols

Reaction score
Finally Gibson have put their brains in Gear, the Holy Grail of Guitars came from this company in 1958/59/60 and some of these Les Pauls Standards in some cases are worth 1/4 of a million Pounds. It doesn't take a genius to work out what guitars the public want. Certainly not Robot Tuners and colours that reflect the colours of the rainbow, and pickups that are basically a printed circuit board. The times I have been in Guitar shops, and there main repair relates to brand new Gibson having the new circuit board pickups taken out and replaced with the old type. Struth God give me strength...

519tbarr

Reaction score
I am a traditionalist by heart - the Les Paul electric guitar is probably the greatest electric guitar of all time. I am however not opposed to advancements/new ideas on the Les Paul in exactly the model they will be releasing at NAMM 2019 which is the Les Paul Modern. There are people who will like this idea. It won't be the purist's and traditionalists. Renaming the Les Paul HP to the Les Paul Modern is a perfect resolution to the fiasco that was 2015 & the 2016 to 2019 HP models. Also from the leaked pages earlier that were on the Gibson website - that they have since pulled - it looks as if Richlite was eliminated on some of these models - as their sneak peek specs showed ebony fingerboards on a few models.

I was very pessimistic when Henry J was removed - because usually in corporate take overs (suits) - the focus is not on building quality instruments, but instead on milking a legacy product patent for all it's worth and trying to sell you as to why their new ideas or stripped down ideas are right. To a degree that is where we ended up with Gibson at the end of the Henry J era. Accept Richlite, accept robo-tuners, accept wider necks, accept pcb electronics, accept us as a company buying into failing electronics brands, daws, etc. Gibson guitars and quality American made guitars was what the company was founded on. Everything remains to be seen - but the leaks for the USA revision are hopeful. It seems like someone was either reading, observing and talking to artists to get the real feel for what the consumer ideally wanted. The new Les Paul Standard line specs are excellent. There's a lot of fan fair for the new SG models and so on.

One thing to note - which I am aware is a controversial thought - the Henry J era is without a doubt the 2nd best era of the Gibson guitar company. Henry and company started out on the right footing in the 80's when they took over the company. They build many great USA Standard's & the Les Paul Classic was a hit. Also the addition of the Custom Shop & the reissue models that significantly improved in terms of trying to replicate the magic of the 50's and early 60's was a significant achievement that didn't exist prior to his era.

I hope they've done away with all the push/pull pots, E-Tune and other 'innovations'. I really hope (and it certainly looks like it) that they're getting back to doing what they have always been known for... making some of the most iconic guitars in the world.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a metal ground plate with solder lugs for all the grounds...

tokairic

Reaction score
This is what I suggested last year, happy to see they are probably going that way.

I just hope they are not raising the prices to rebalance the incomes, because of less models.
Price is going to be the big issue - how many slightly different versions of the same guitar (since 1959) can Gibson expect to sell against austerity wages and increasing living costs?
I consider myself lucky to already have my three favourites (2012 LP Supreme Heritage Red Sunburst, 2017 LP Std Blueberry Burst, and a 339 Trad Pro), so I won't be rushing out to buy another new Gibson. Plenty more great guitars at half Gibson prices.

tokairic

Reaction score
I am a traditionalist by heart - the Les Paul electric guitar is probably the greatest electric guitar of all time. I am however not opposed to advancements/new ideas on the Les Paul in exactly the model they will be releasing at NAMM 2019 which is the Les Paul Modern. There are people who will like this idea. It won't be the purist's and traditionalists. Renaming the Les Paul HP to the Les Paul Modern is a perfect resolution to the fiasco that was 2015 & the 2016 to 2019 HP models. Also from the leaked pages earlier that were on the Gibson website - that they have since pulled - it looks as if Richlite was eliminated on some of these models - as their sneak peek specs showed ebony fingerboards on a few models.

I was very pessimistic when Henry J was removed - because usually in corporate take overs (suits) - the focus is not on building quality instruments, but instead on milking a legacy product patent for all it's worth and trying to sell you as to why their new ideas or stripped down ideas are right. To a degree that is where we ended up with Gibson at the end of the Henry J era. Accept Richlite, accept robo-tuners, accept wider necks, accept pcb electronics, accept us as a company buying into failing electronics brands, daws, etc. Gibson guitars and quality American made guitars was what the company was founded on. Everything remains to be seen - but the leaks for the USA revision are hopeful. It seems like someone was either reading, observing and talking to artists to get the real feel for what the consumer ideally wanted. The new Les Paul Standard line specs are excellent. There's a lot of fan fair for the new SG models and so on.

One thing to note - which I am aware is a controversial thought - the Henry J era is without a doubt the 2nd best era of the Gibson guitar company. Henry and company started out on the right footing in the 80's when they took over the company. They build many great USA Standard's & the Les Paul Classic was a hit. Also the addition of the Custom Shop & the reissue models that significantly improved in terms of trying to replicate the magic of the 50's and early 60's was a significant achievement that didn't exist prior to his era.

Henry Just stayed too long......

tokairic

Reaction score
Any chance the fretboards will look that nice on the production models? Fingers crossed. Maybe they figure out to hire a guy to make a striped technicolor fretboard pile for $900 Juniors and nice uniform dark color fretboard pile for the more expensive guitars. Another thing Gibson can easily do to improve their feedback around here
How many have Richlite fretboards? I notice Richlite appearing more on Gibsons - even the acoustics.

Rick

Reaction score
How many have Richlite fretboards? I notice Richlite appearing more on Gibsons - even the acoustics.
Well the Modern Standard and Modern SG on the website show "genuine ebony" in the specs. Maybe they are done with Richlite.

jimijam33

Reaction score
It would be nice to see Gibson get back to their roots and build a Les Paul Standard like they use to. Honduras Mahogany body with Eastern Hard rock top glued together with a Quality hot Hyde glue (like Browns). Then make an optional long scale LP standard (like 25.5" - Oh yea). The True Historic's never used Honduras bodies on Eastern top's.

Malchik

Reaction score
It would be nice to see Gibson get back to their roots and build a Les Paul Standard like they use to. Honduras Mahogany body with Eastern Hard rock top glued together with a Quality hot Hyde glue (like Browns). Then make an optional long scale LP standard (like 25.5" - Oh yea). The True Historic's never used Honduras bodies on Eastern top's.
CHA-CHING!$

fleahead

Reaction score
I am so glad I don't have to go to these anymore, but this one might be fun to look at as a spectator.

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
What the fuck? Are they gonna make them cheap and set them up too? What a bore! Now it's gonna be all NGDs and no bitching! They even got the Junior right after all these years!

Ugh, I think I'll go hang out at some PRS forum, maybe even buy one.

Geronimo

Reaction score
The triple pickup SG is an SGS3 and is a 2015 pictured there in my photo I put up previously in this thread, and was listed as 'Limited' - also because it is 2015 it has no nibs on the fret ends as per 2015 Gibson USA. I should add in 2015 with many Gibsons having extra wide fretboards this is a normal traditional width or we would not have bought it.

That being said …. they have the same guitar but for 2018 still available, I don't think they were 'Limited' in 2018, could be wrong. Also it has fret end nibs like a normal bound Gibson when the 2015 I own does not.

The bridge pickup is a 57 Classic Plus wth the other 2 being 57 Classics. The sideways Vibrola still doesn't stay in tune but it is remodeled and modernized under the hood which I will find a picture on another computer here and throw that here as well to show how cool it is. Actually looks great without the cover on the trem.

Here it is with the same price it was in 2015 but for 2018 and new of course as was our when we bought it a couple of years ago … this is my favorite SG, it has so much tone and sustain it should be illegal. There's something to that mass of metal in the tremolo that you can feel when playing. It's like a tone block or something.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSGS3A19

I'll come back shortly and add some photos to this …. give me a few minutes.

EDIT: Added photos of the tremolo under the cover as well as of the guitar and features.

View attachment 354367 View attachment 354368 View attachment 354370 View attachment 354371 View attachment 354372 View attachment 354373 View attachment 354374

Geronimo

Reaction score
Actually I prefer your body carve and neck heel. The 2018 has a modern neck heel and I don’t think the cutaways are carved as well as the 2015.