New Gibson Winter NAMM Models Announced

stonevibe

Reaction score
It all looks very back to basics, which I am certainly a fan of.

"After missing last year’s show, Gibson is back with a vengeance! Yes, it’s made mistakes in the past, but this company looks like it’s about to rectify them."

Gibson Golden Era NAMM 2019
"We’re paying tribute to the Golden Era of Gibson by restoring authenticity for musicians with our new lineup of Classics,” says Cesar Gueikian, GIBSON’s Chief Merchant Officer. He then goes on to say: “True to our DNA, our new Les Paul Standard returns to the classic design that made it famous. And the same can be said of other models."

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-gibson-goes-back-to-the-golden-era-with-new-2019-guitars/

Attachments

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll probably bite on a goldtop with p90s as long as it has a slightly beefier neck than the classic with p90s I bought last year.

Never thought I'd say that about the beefier neck, but the Les Paul custom I bought last year has shown me the light.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Looks to be the death of the Traditional I'd say. Pretty redundant to keep that around now that the Standard is back to being the Standard. One of the best things Gibson could do to turn around a lot of people's opinions of past years is freak out on the quality control of the nuts and their slots. If they want to sell a bunch of Maestro equipped guitars without it turning into a bunch of bad press about SG's that won't hold tune, quality consistent nut slots are a must.

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
Why not 'golden era' all the way including pricing lol
A quick Google search shows that a Les Paul cost $375 in 1959. Adjusted for inflation that's about $3,200. Today you can get a brand new Les Paul for a lot less than $3,200. And thanks to modern day technology and manufacturing tolerances, it's probably built a lot better too (on average).

irocdave12

Reaction score
Any chance the fretboards will look that nice on the production models? Fingers crossed. Maybe they figure out to hire a guy to make a striped technicolor fretboard pile for $900 Juniors and nice uniform dark color fretboard pile for the more expensive guitars. Another thing Gibson can easily do to improve their feedback around here

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Very cool, I am glad they will be at NAMM this year and I can't wait to go next weekend.