New Gibson Trad Pro V - Ugly or Beautiful?

TechNoir

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

This is my first ever post as I have just received my first ever Gibson. I played Strats and Tele's for years though due to lockdown boredom I have decided to try out a Gibson for the first time ever, I love the way it plays and the smaller scale length is really nice. I do have a bit of OCD with regards to finishes though, and I would appreciate seasoned Gibson players input on this guitar before the returns window shuts.

I cant decide if its ugly or beautiful due to its asymmetry and erratic vertical grain, I would be most grateful for your thoughts. It is expensive so I probably wont be buying another for years. Will this affect resale value too?

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-17 at 12.06.29.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-17 at 12.06.53.jpeg

pondcaster

Reaction score
Nice distinctive top, got the flames & grain going.

Had a 50s Standard with very similar look. Guessing it's hard to capture the true beauty in pics since it changes so much in different lighting.

Congrats, enjoy in good health for years and years.

TechNoir

Reaction score
And it does sound fantastic...I feel like ill need an EQ pedal to play my Fender's after getting used to this sound!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Sounds like you are buying new. I thought Trad Pro V’s had basically turned into Classics now. I’m shopping the same range LP. It’s all confusing to me.

TechNoir

Reaction score
It is a minefield for sure. I had aways wanted a glossy heritage cherry finish which was unavailable in the standard 60s range. As I didnt want a fat 50's neck I went for this as the marketing stated it featured ' a unique asymmetric neck profile and compound-radius fingerboard for ease of playing'.

Maybe its an older model? I did buy new....

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Yours looks way better than the one I played at guitar center the other day. In your first photo it looks gloss on the sides. But the one I played was a “satin” model.

The finish was so grippy and had no pore filler. The fretboard was very light brown (looked like laurel or something) and bone dry. The guitar was slow, sticky, and felt like a toy.

I ran home to tell my standard 60s the whole story. She was appalled.

With that said, most guitars from the wall of a guitar center play like shit (to me).

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yours looks way better than the one I played at guitar center the other day. In your first photo it looks gloss on the sides. But the one I played was a “satin” model.

The finish was so grippy and had no pore filler. The fretboard was very light brown (looked like laurel or something) and bone dry. The guitar was slow, sticky, and felt like a toy.

With that said, most guitars from the wall of a guitar center play like shit (to me).
That’s interesting to read. GC had those on sale July 4. I was intrigued and interested, but didn’t act on it.

TechNoir

Reaction score

Hahah. I agree im not a huge fan of many satin models, this is gloss all over which is definitely my preference, but you cant really tell from the photos I posted.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Just curious. Sounds like you are buying new. I thought Trad Pro V’s had basically turned into Classics now. I’m shopping the same range LP. It’s all confusing to me.
Depending on the run, trad pros will have even more electronic features. Every knob is a push-pull for splits or taps, plus there’s switches in the cavity to change something (taps vs splits?)

TechNoir

Reaction score
Depending on the run, trad pros will have even more electronic features. Every knob is a push-pull for splits or taps, plus there’s switches in the cavity to change something (taps vs splits?)
This was certainly priced more in line with a standard. It says '
  • Premium-grade, limited run Les Paul
  • Made exclusively for the US market!
I hope I havent overpaid.....

jbash

Reaction score
I don't see a damn thing wrong with that finish, grain or flame. Congrats.

Latest Threads