New Gibson - QC issues?

gsasko

Reaction score
Hey there, I just picked up new Gibson LP Standard 50s.

Guitar is technically OK. However there are some cosmetic issues that bug me hard.

There're two Micro dents on fretboard on two frets. Also, the fret marker is scratched. Pics attached.

Is it ok for new guitar to be like that? I'm kind of picky but I guess there shouldnt be such flaws on 2500$ guitar.

What do you guys think about it and what should I do? I dont thinking those are easily fixable...thanks for input
Yawn

Embee

Reaction score

Guitar is technically OK. However there are some cosmetic issues that bug me hard.

There're two Micro dents on fretboard on two frets. Also, the fret marker is scratched. Pics attached.

Is it ok for new guitar to be like that? I'm kind of picky but I guess there shouldnt be such flaws on 2500$ guitar.

What do you guys think about it and what should I do? I dont thinking those are easily fixable...thanks for input
A) You will always know it's there and, in theory, it shouldn't be there.

B) Gibson is a pale shadow of what it used to be and this is part of it.

C) Perfect boards are going to be harder to find as time goes by as rosewood stocks are depleted.

D) What are the odds of getting a LPS in as good condition vs in worse condition? This is the Tesla Syndrome. "Yes my purchase is flawed but if I return it, I might get a worse one."

I say go back to the retailer and ask for a discount based on that. Then enjoy your guitar.

And this is why I don't buy new Gibsons.

Azhar

Reaction score
The bottom line is: if dissatisfied with a brand new product, return it and get a replacement you are happy with. End of story.A total different story if acquired second hand. Then if it sounds great and pleases you keep it.In my opinion, new means battle scar free. I must once again declare my dislike of Relic’d instruments. As a owner of quite a batch of vintage Gibsons/Fenders/ I do NOT have any heavy relics.

ArtWerkOrange

Reaction score
I have had an occasion or two when I was not 100% and I called the seller and in all situations I was offered to either return it or accept a discount. The discount, for me, was always a better choice... knock on (rose)wood.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I have a new SG coming Friday. These posts make me cringe. I’ve returned about half of the Gibsons I’ve purchased in the last ten years. I just hope the one I’m getting is a keeper, especially since the dealer is now out of them.
Good luck, db...I'd love a new Gib, but not at the risk of of "the mail"...
Boris...I'm on the fence with that one...new should look new, not imperfect.
But...they it out and see (and hear and feel) if it sounds and plays to your liking (or, hey...lovin'!). THEN do you want to spin the wheel again?
Just sayin'...

tmguitar

Reaction score

Send it back !!

mgdesigns

Reaction score
The few guitars I've made from scratch, the fretboards are radiused by hand and are flawless, then the frets get installed. So surface scratches like you show are not common on a custom built. Factory situations are different, and I'd ask for rebate to cover the fixes, or return for one that more to your liking after inspection.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I cannot not imagine that some questionable guitars that are sent to fulfill online orders
wouldn't be bought if hanging in a store, although there are so many online orders now
that most of the guitars sent should be OK.
Do stores even inspect guitars before sending them out?
I don't know. It probably varies.
But every time I see bad occurrences I think about that.

What the OP is about is not that big of a flaw but it's bothersome for sure.

Return it while you can if it bugs you. Otherwise you'll hate yourself for ever!
;)
It definitely varies. Some vendors will send a pic of the actual guitar and inspect it before sending it out. Others likely ship in the box they got it in and fingers crossed. Others here should be able to confirm which do a real inspection prior to shipping.

Good luck!

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
At G&L in the 80's, that puppy would have never shipped. But, at Fender during the late 70's, we would have considered that "one of the good ones". With Gibson at those prices, I see your concern. My new Les Paul's one flaw, is a little bit of cherry stain on the down side of the fingerboard (under the nitro). I could have kicked it back, but I LOVE the setup, the feel, the sound, and the overall presentation. I kept it, even though it isn't perfect. So as always, it's up to you. :)

Boris1268

Reaction score
I returned it, now I'm waiting for another one. I wonder if it's easily fixable by luthier? Whats do you guys think?

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
I returned it, now I'm waiting for another one. I wonder if it's easily fixable by luthier? Whats do you guys think?
Wood is wood. There is only so much they can do. They might be able to hide it, but it is what it is. :)

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would keep that....Im one of the most Anal SOB”S there is when it cones to my guitars, and all 3 of my Historics have a little bit more than that.And they were pretty much hand picked.

what you showed is absolutely nothing, bad i have little scratches and a little chunk taken out of my fretboard, and body of both LP”S but even I, thought it reasonable, due to the hand made nature of these things,even the USA Les paul you speak of.

i believe you will be chasing ,a tail of never ending happiness,if you send that back expecting to get something better,andlike i used too.

went through 4 SRV Strats because there was a little Knot on the body...

my 60Th Anniversary R9,has scrape marks allong the sides of the neck where they scraped the binding,and the scrapper blade,maby did not have the finest edge on it..etc....but the most important parts of the guitar were built and done fine, so i can polish that crap out.Eventually your laquer will start to check as well, in my case, on my 60Th R9, the guitar is a case queen, and i invested in an humidifier, but it still happend. Here is a pic...i would keep it man.From a person who formerly went through hell.

Attachments

Peter M

Reaction score
I wonder if it's easily fixable by luthier? Whats do you guys think?
Wow man, why would you take those micro cosmetic issues to a luthier? The luthiers I know would look at you sideways and wonder if you should be collecting jewelry instead.

PlainAllman

Reaction score
I know probably nothing could be done about the inlay short of replacement but couldn’t the ding in the fretboard possibly be steamed out? I’m no expert just asking based on stuff I’ve read about dings in wood. OP already returned the guitar so doesn’t really matter but I’m still curious what y’all think about it.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Wow man, why would you take those micro cosmetic issues to a luthier? The luthiers I know would look at you sideways and wonder if you should be collecting jewelry instead.
Well...just for psychical comfort :p

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
I know probably nothing could be done about the inlay short of replacement but couldn’t the ding in the fretboard possibly be steamed out? I’m no expert just asking based on stuff I’ve read about dings in wood. OP already returned the guitar so doesn’t really matter but I’m still curious what y’all think about it.
They can either fill it, sand or scrape it, or replace it. No matter what, it probably looks better now, than after they try to fix it.

Last edited:

Boris1268

Reaction score
I had a similar fretboard surface on a Slash Standard I recently purchased. I took it to a local repair shop (Portland Fretworks) to ask if anything could be done and the guy told me to come back in half an hour. I went down the street for ice cream while he did a fretboard scrape with a razor blade and conditioned it. It cost me $30 and it’s great now.
@danzego you had similiar micro dings?

Latest Threads