New Gibson - QC issues?

danzego

Reaction score
I had a similar fretboard surface on a Slash Standard I recently purchased. I took it to a local repair shop (Portland Fretworks) to ask if anything could be done and the guy told me to come back in half an hour. I went down the street for ice cream while he did a fretboard scrape with a razor blade and conditioned it. It cost me $30 and it’s great now.

flashbak

Reaction score
Yes, but you wouldn't have had to do that if Gibson did their job properly in the first place! I certainly wouldn't have paid any out of pocket cost!

Boris1268

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies!

I decided to return the guitar. The seller agreed that it's wrong and it really differs from the other Gibsons in the shop. They're gonna repair it, but I doubt the results - and it will take two weeks at least, as they main base isnt in my city, so they have to send it and then send it back.

I'm waiting for the refund, and I think I'll order another one from other shop - or 60's, as I like the neck, but not the looks more. Needa think about it.

Thanks again!

danzego

Reaction score
Yes, but you wouldn't have had to do that if Gibson did their job properly in the first place! I certainly wouldn't have paid any out of pocket cost!
That may be true. However, given how tough it can be to find a Gibson that ticks every other box I have, I don’t have an issue paying a measly $30 to make that happen. OR, I can send it back over something that takes a half hour and an hour’s pay to clear up and try again, ending up with something that has some other issue which CAN’T be so easily corrected.

Trust me- it feels great now and you’d never know it had the issue in the first place. It’s a fantastic guitar and the best Slash Standard I’ve played (and I bought and returned two and played others in the quest to get this one). It seriously measures up favorably to my 2020 LP RI.

You think one should get rid of that over a simple fix just out of principle and instead keep searching/playing the Gibson lottery? That’s stubborn and silly. I’ll take the easy, quick, cheap fix and keep the better guitar, thanks.

flashbak

Reaction score
I can understand your decision especially not wanting to deal with the Gibson lottery mechanism.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be true. However, given how tough it can be to find a Gibson that ticks every other box I have, I don’t have an issue paying a measly $30 to make that happen. OR, I can send it back over something that takes a half hour and an hour’s pay to clear up and try again, ending up with something that has some other issue which CAN’T be so easily corrected.

Trust me- it feels great now and you’d never know it had the issue in the first place. It’s a fantastic guitar and the best Slash Standard I’ve played (and I bought and returned two and played others in the quest to get this one). It seriously measures up favorably to my 2020 LP RI.

You think one should get rid of that over a simple fix just out of principle and instead keep searching/playing the Gibson lottery? That’s stubborn and silly. I’ll take the easy, quick, cheap fix and keep the better guitar, thanks.
You learn that lesson after you return a good one and get sent a real dog...... Been there.... My strat frets out on high E at 17th fret if you don't finesse the bend alittle, very annoying but I'll get it fixed one day but everything else about it is amazing so i kept it, I'm so glad i did.... So good i haven't really looked at another fender in 5 years. It's amazing what competent luthiers can do...

moreles

Reaction score
You should act on your own expectations. Speaking personally, even though I am very particular and demanding, the minor markings you picture are, IMO, trivial and consistent with handwork. I don't really see these imperfections as flaws or damage at all, and I am quick to criticize flaws. This is not Collings-level finesse, but Collings are priced accordingly. Honestly, unless those bits look way worse in person, I wouldn't give them a second thought.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's gonna be my main guitar, so sorry, I don't accept paying 2.5k USD for something that somehow bugs me.

Thanks for your input! It really helped me! :)

PS. Yeah..the rosewood isnt looking good...the fretboard was really, really dry.
No need for apologies. If something bugs you about a guitar, it will probably affect your playing. I wouldn't be bothered by it, especially if it is a good player, but that's me. Since it is your money, only your feelings count, and feelings don't have to be reasonable.

But the issue of it affecting your playing... Returning it is a reasonable choice.

I have been burned 2-3 times over the years, and I always wound up selling/trading the instruments away.

EDIT: I'm not saying you have been burned, just that the bad taste in my mouth when I got hosed transferred to the guitar.

danzego

Reaction score
I can understand your decision especially not wanting to deal with the Gibson lottery mechanism.
There is that, but also, when you find an awesome axe, if it takes a mere 30 bucks to smooth out the fretboard to my liking (or some other minor work), it’s not worth the time and effort of calling and workin with the dealer in order to get an RMA and shipping label, boxing it up and shipping it out, getting another one from them or elsewhere and all the stress involved in hoping it’s a better one.

Now, if we were talking something like dings in the fretboard, the finish, a ridge on the binding from over scraping, or something like that which generally can’t be repaired (or repaired easily and cheaply), then yeah, it needs to go back. Heck, I wrestled with Gibson for 6 months sending in my 2020 V1 R0 because the finish on the bass side binding wasn’t completely buffed (or whatever problem it was that left a bumpy texture to it) and when I finally got it back, I found they had put a ding in the back of the guitar. By the end of that whole thing, I had Gibson send a brand new one that was hand selected to my requested criteria AND I was able to hang on to the old one so I made sure the replacement was more to my liking. Ice also sent back multiple other LP’s that I bought online for various issues. Something like a $30 quick fix at this point seems like the best deal I’m going to get! :)

danzego

Reaction score
You should act on your own expectations. Speaking personally, even though I am very particular and demanding, the minor markings you picture are, IMO, trivial and consistent with handwork. I don't really see these imperfections as flaws or damage at all, and I am quick to criticize flaws. This is not Collings-level finesse, but Collings are priced accordingly. Honestly, unless those bits look way worse in person, I wouldn't give them a second thought.
I agree with this. I have some minor stuff like that with the binding on a few spots of my Slash Standard and it doesn’t affect playability at all. The binding surface at the fretboard isn’t perfectly straight at a few fret spaces on the high E side of the board and if you’ve seen how these the binding and fretboards are done (look up the Gibson factory video on The Process for binding), it makes sense. Unless it’s an absolutely reckless looking job across a large portion of the fretboard or particularly deep, it wouldn’t bother me much if the guitar is a winner. I will say, I’m a pretty picky bestid, for sure.

Others don’t see it that way and for their money, that’s cool too. :)

hisasahisasaki

Reaction score
I don't care about the dents on the fingerboard.
Most of them will return to normal if you drip water and heat it.
But the apparently poor quality rosewood annoying me.

TexasNick

Reaction score
But is it a good Les Paul? Does it have the sound and playability you were hoping for? If so, keep it. Every guitar has a different character, so the next one down the line might look great but not move you to pick it up and play it. If it isn't inspiring you to play, return it.
Remember, things are not beautiful because they are "perfect". That's just a word.

Pdpmail

Reaction score
Hey there, I just picked up new Gibson LP Standard 50s.

Guitar is technically OK. However there are some cosmetic issues that bug me hard.

There're two Micro dents on fretboard on two frets. Also, the fret marker is scratched. Pics attached.

Is it ok for new guitar to be like that? I'm kind of picky but I guess there shouldnt be such flaws on 2500$ guitar.

What do you guys think about it and what should I do? I dont thinking those are easily fixable...thanks for input
I had exactly same problem and I handed it back. I then went out and bought a secondhand historic R8. It was hardly any more money compared to a brand-new standard Les Paul - the build quality and Craftsmanship was incomparably superior

Hey there, I just picked up new Gibson LP Standard .​

Guitar is technically OK. However there are some cosmetic issues that bug me hard.

There're two Micro dents on fretboard on two frets. Also, the fret marker is scratched. Pics attached.

Is it ok for new guitar to be like that? I'm kind of picky but I guess there shouldnt be such flaws on 2500$ guitar.

What do you guys think about it and what should I do? I dont thinking those are easily fixable...thanks for input

Bobbylee

Reaction score
They try to fix most of the defects now, no seconds ship them as firsts....

Same with cars.

tokairic

Reaction score
Hey there, I just picked up new Gibson LP Standard 50s.

I wouldn't expect any Gibson guitar to be perfect. In my experience QC at Gibson is well below par. Having said that, these two issues could have been post dealer delivery. I can's see any mark on the fret, the scratch on the marker is small. Probably both could be reduced by careful work, but why not just play the damn thing until you forget they are there.
Otherwise you may end up in a cycle of buy, inspect, reject, replace - and repeat. Unlikely that you will find a perfect Gibson and just get depressed over it.
If you want perfect look at Japanese high end Tokai or PRS.

Latest Threads