New Gibson - QC issues?

Boris1268

Reaction score
Hey there, I just picked up new Gibson LP Standard 50s.

Guitar is technically OK. However there are some cosmetic issues that bug me hard.

There're two Micro dents on fretboard on two frets. Also, the fret marker is scratched. Pics attached.

Is it ok for new guitar to be like that? I'm kind of picky but I guess there shouldnt be such flaws on 2500$ guitar.

What do you guys think about it and what should I do? I dont thinking those are easily fixable...thanks for input

Attachments

Zylo

Reaction score
me personally i would return it, but if you can live with it, you can keep it..

bum

Reaction score
If you are unhappy send it back, no questions asked - You should be happy with your purchase.
Reality check: Would that bother me personally? Nope, is there a chance you'll see other similar things on another guitar? Yup.
It's your call, but you have the right to send it back in my opinion, even if I personally would not.

wmachine

Reaction score
Like all the posts like this, some will say keep it, some will say send it back. So where does that leave you?
I would first play it, Make sure the setup is right and play it. Unplugged and plugged in. That should tell you whether to keep it. Not forum opinion. In other words, how can you expect to make a decision if you haven't even determined if it is "a good one" or not?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, it looks like that open grain rosewood (if that is what it is) fingerboard that Gibson (and Epi) seems to be using. In marked contrast I got a new PRS SE with a rosewood board that is as smooth as ebony, only a little more brown. The condition of the fretboard wood bothers me more on this Gibson than the OP’s complaints.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no wonder there aren't more dents. There is a Gibson factory video around here that shows factory workers installing fretboards into various machine jigs using these big Tom & Jerry hammers...just pounding them in. It scary to watch,... but i'm sure this is where this happens.

I don't like the grain on that board either.....if I saw this in a shop i would skip right pass it.

Last edited:

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
It a Gibson.

You got it mail order . . . so you play the mail order game.

Send it back . . . and see if what's wrong with the next one.

Rinse . . . Repeat . . . until you get a guitar you can live with for the money you paid for it.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I have a new SG coming Friday. These posts make me cringe. I’ve returned about half of the Gibsons I’ve purchased in the last ten years. I just hope the one I’m getting is a keeper, especially since the dealer is now out of them.

Boris1268

Reaction score
I didn't bought it mail order. I bought it in shop. It felt right, didnt have magnifying glass to use it there, though I instantly noticed it when I was back home. At least I wasn't expecting this in 2.5k usd guitar lol.

I went to shop and the seller agreed with me. He checked other Gibsons hanging on the wall and said: yeah, that really differs from other ones. However, I acknowledge that for some ppl it would not be an issue, but for me it its. Also, my friends have these news Standards and all of them are almost flawless (ofc excluding that nut thingy or verry minor QC issues) - at least they're not dinged or something.

Tomorrow I'll get the answer if they accept the return, but I think they do. As seller said, "we will sell it anyway".

It's gonna be my main guitar, so sorry, I don't accept paying 2.5k USD for something that somehow bugs me.

Thanks for your input! It really helped me! :)

PS. Yeah..the rosewood isnt looking good...the fretboard was really, really dry.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
It a Gibson.

You got it mail order . . . so you play the mail order game.

Send it back . . . and see if what's wrong with the next one.

Rinse . . . Repeat . . . until you get a guitar you can live with for the money you paid for it.
I cannot not imagine that some questionable guitars that are sent to fulfill online orders
wouldn't be bought if hanging in a store, although there are so many online orders now
that most of the guitars sent should be OK.
Do stores even inspect guitars before sending them out?
I don't know. It probably varies.
But every time I see bad occurrences I think about that.

What the OP is about is not that big of a flaw but it's bothersome for sure.

Return it while you can if it bugs you. Otherwise you'll hate yourself for ever!
;)

diogoguitar

Reaction score
look, I've returned a couple of guitars (including a 2020 LP Standard 60's), but in my humble opinion, I wouldn't return this guitar for that reason.

My LP had 0.5lbs more than advertised, a much bigger wood chip on the fretbard that wasn't fixable without a major surgery. oh, and the treble/rhythm wiring came mixed up.

Another guitar I return was a full pound heavier than specs and the maple top was too low (making an uncomfortable position for my forearm)... excellent otherwise...but these two things were much for me to keep it.

Last edited:

jrkhav

Reaction score
This weird scaley fretboard is definitely an issue I've noticed on some of the newer models. Some will have beautiful, smooth and polished rosewood, others come bone dry and look like the wood is scaling. Not sure what the deal is there but I check and steer away from those when I notice them.

flashbak

Reaction score
Once, again just careless workmanship and once again QC passed it anyway! Jeez, I'm shocked! LOL See my thread So this is the new Gibson looks like the old Gibson to me. Return it!

Last edited:

budg

Reaction score
The dent in the inlay would bother me the most… well other than the price I paid for a guitar with flaws. It’s up to you. Are you being too picky? You’re the customer . It’s your money . If it were me I’d return it unless unicorns flew out of it when I played. A good Les Paul can be had all day long just about anywhere.

Last edited:

Wrench66

Reaction score
If you have to break out a magnifying glass to fine defects, then those are not defects.

Board does look scaly, similar to my 2014 SG, but in a bit of play time you won’t be able to notice it.

Just my opinion.

Nintari

Reaction score
Since it's cosmetic, I would base my decision on how good it plays and sounds. My Southern Jumbo had a serious issue with one of its inlays, but I kept it because it's one of the sweetest sounding acoustics I've ever played. So if this guitar is otherwise wonderful, I would just overlook it. However, if it's just meh... send it back. There is no reason keeping something like that at that price if you're not otherwise blown away.

Latest Threads