New Gibson Name For CS Les Pauls

guitardon

Reaction score
I posted this once before, I tend to not follow Gibson products when I’m not looking for a new guitar. Recently before I bought my LP Brazilian, I posted the question I didn’t get any answers. It had been a while since I brought one so I did the usual research and found the information I was looking for. But I still get miss lead when I see guitars for sale saying Gibson Les Paul Standard vs Gibson Les Paul Standard Reissue. For a while they were LP historics, then everybody called them LP custom shop, later LP TH. Now they’re LP Standard Reissues. I see no reason for all this nonsense it’s very misleading. Fortunately I’ve been around long enough to know that the case color, the COA etc. So I would be hard to be fooled. But for newer people coming into this it is so misleading, why would Gibson associate their high-end guitars by throwing the word standard when the lower model line is called standard. It just makes no logical sense to me. Does anybody know WTF they were thinking? Sorry I’m just venting.

BTW, I remember when I was a young guy looking for a Les Paul, I heard people often refer them to Les Paul standard. There was no label on the guitars whatsoever but a lot of older guys remember say oh you’re looking for a Les Paul Standard. So there is a historical connection to that but why have two standards in today’s models.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
The reissue is for year on custom shop models, a new copy of the old standards, corresponding years with neck size and finish/top.

Standards now are USA shop built, reissues are Custom Shop Built. Two separate factories.

Back in the day there were Black Customs, Standards, Juniors, Specials, etc.... There has always been a bunch of Les Pauls with a bunch of different names in the same year, even in the 50's.

guitardon

Reaction score
The reissue is for year on custom shop models, a new copy of the old standards, corresponding years with neck size and finish/top.

Standards now are USA shop built, reissues are Custom Shop Built. Two separate factories.

Back in the day there were Black Customs, Standards, Juniors, Specials, etc.... There has always been a bunch of Les Pauls with a bunch of different names in the same year, even in the 50's.
I totally understand what the USA models are. I think you’re missing my point. It’s the terminology standard. For as many years as I can remember the reissues were called reissues or more recently custom shop models or true historic‘s, The name standard was always associated with the USA models. Now they’re associating standard with the reissue models. I find that quite misleading and can see how a new person in the market can be very easily misled. I know what to look for, guitar case, COA etc. someone who hasn’t owned CC models or whatever you want them to call them could be easily fooled. Like I said I’m just venting, it’s like calling a PRS with the glued neck the same name as a PRS with a bolt on neck. It just goes against my thinking. When I went out and search for a new guitar I happily found a Brazilian model that I just love. But in the beginning after being away from the market for years I personally found it misleading when they crisscross the names. The only reason I can tell the difference was because of having so many re-issues. But in irked me when I was searching to find both historic’s and USA models to come up under the name standard. That was all my point was. Sometimes I just hate Gibsons marketing antics.

guitardon

Reaction score
I never wasted brain cells trying figure out Gib logic.
You’re right I find it quite amusing. I don’t know why am thinking about this all of a sudden. I guess my wife just bought a new mandolin and there was naming conventions that were equally as misleading. I’m not taking any of this too seriously just saying WTF was Gibson thinking. Sports cars have a naming convention with the high-end models versus the low in models. They don’t advertise the high-end models to sound like its is a a low end models. They want to get the big bucks for the high-end models and they want those people to be happy and that there’s is unique. Anyway just my two cents.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
The main issue is that people want so many different guitars from Gibson, and complain when they can't buy exactly the right model with their favourite colour when they want it.
They then complain that there are too many names of guitars precisely because there are so many fractionally different models that Gibson has to come up with to satisfy demand.

The main takeaway here is that people just like to complain.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Reissues are Gibson's premium line. Henry decided to introduce a more premium line for 2015, True Historics, and discontinued regular reissues, people didn't take to the idea, neither did dealers who kept asking for regular reissues, Gibson made regular reissues again and called them Standard Historics to differentiate, this only lasted for two years.

guitardon

Reaction score
The main issue is that people want so many different guitars from Gibson, and complain when they can't buy exactly the right model with their favourite colour when they want it.
They then complain that there are too many names of guitars precisely because there are so many fractionally different models that Gibson has to come up with to satisfy demand.

The main takeaway here is that people just like to complain.
Ha ha ur picking on me. It’s ok but I still say keep the low end name on the low end models. I don’t want no one to think mine is not the bestest. Maybe I should revise my thinking. Coming out of a nightclub at two in the morning I would hate to let some crook think my guitar is so expensive, it’s all fun

ARandall

Reaction score
Only a little;-)

While names can be a little confusing (like the Life Of Brian 'Judean People's Front' joke), it does become hard to keep on inventing ever fractionally different names to cover new models. Especially when you have iconic names that must continue and a backward looking mentality in term of 'better'
And even car names are not all that logical either.

guitardon

Reaction score
Reissues are Gibson's premium line. Henry decided to introduce a more premium line for 2015, True Historics, and discontinued regular reissues, people didn't take to the idea, neither did dealers who kept asking for regular reissues, Gibson made regular reissues again and called them Standard Historics to differentiate, this only lasted for two years.
That makes me laugh, another version standard historics. I got to add that one to the ongoing list.

1959’s LP’s were referred to as LP standard by some people but never labeled as such
Late 60’s models, hmm I can even remember what they called them
Late 80’s were called standard 80’s
Early 90’s historics for many years
Mid 2000’s true historics
Other 2000’s were called custom shop
Ur saying they also called them standard historics
Most recent standard reissues.
maybe next they will call them custom shop historic standard reissues.

Just having fun guys. Don’t read too much into it. I’ve owned just about one each above except the 68 was a custom. That’s why I can’t remember what the one with the little humbuckers was called. I kinda liked that one but didn’t want a gold top n

ARandall

Reaction score
A Deluxe.

Except that there were no 'Deluxe' features about it. It was the base type model.

Its really hard with guitars to organise a heirachy. In cars there is a direct driver comfort or performance change. In guitars.....not so much. The base model can do pretty much everything the top one can.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everything is premium 'something' it's about like everybody getting a trophy......

Latest Threads