Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The delay looks interesting.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the delay and the chorus. I like the '60s graphics.

Mr French

Reaction score
They delay sounds very nice and has a "true Analog" sound! I think it sounds better than the bell epoch.

I'm very interested in the Discovery delay and Ranger overdrive.

I really can't wait for someone to do an A/B comparison to original gear. The original logo is awesome and light up!

whatshisname

Reaction score
My Fuzz is out for delivery. I do have a locally built Maestro Fuzztone clone in my fuzz collection, and I'm very interested in hearing how this updated version compares.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna go out to L&M later today. All of the Maestro effects are in stock...

jbash

Reaction score
I just don't understand why they would release a delay that sounds more like a Carbon Copy Bright than an Echoplex. I guess if Dunlop/MXR can't be bought out for the name, they don't want to deal with it.

And no Maestrophase :rolleyes:

What a shame.

moreles

Reaction score
Wow! Some new pedals! These are not the droids I am looking for. I'm sure they're a little different in some minor way from the 129,356 versions of these basic effects, and that difference will somehow be really exciting to some people. I'm sure they're fine, but I'm in the "so what?" group on this stuff.

jbash

Reaction score
I'm starting to think Gibson is not moving very many of these pedals- They and online retailers are hitting me with emails every few days about these things being in stock and ready for purchase.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I'm starting to think Gibson is not moving very many of these pedals- They and online retailers are hitting me with emails every few days about these things being in stock and ready for purchase.
Seriously, who needs another fucking Fuzz?

:dunno:

Chorus?
If you use a Chorus pedal, you already have one. Or two. Or three.

Distortion?
Wow! Sounds like a new thing. Interesting concept.
Hadn't encountered that in my decades of playing...

This is 2022. Mid/Old guys are the ones playing guitar.
Mid/Old guys have seen and tried/bought/sold everything.
We're good. Been there, done that.

I got a used Line6 500HD from a friend because I didn't have a Chorus..!
A little overkill maybe :laugh2: but I figured if I can't find a suitable Chorus effect
in the 500HD, maybe I don't need a Chorus! After all, I have played without one
forever. Look at my sig, SD-1, RAT, Dunlop Wah. I have a few other pedals
that I rarely use, 2 or 3? Old EH ones. 70's Big Muff and Black Finger Compressor,
a Doctor Q (stupid buy at the time...). 70's Ibanez Phaser I used to "fake play" No Quarter.
I still have to "Chorus" something out of the 500HD. Just didn't get around to it...
So, do I need another pedal?

I'm good. As are most people here. I don't need a Maestro whatever.

That line of products probably comes from a "think tank", a Marketing effort to bring
more revenues. "We can't sell more guitars? Let's sell something else our guitar
customer is interested in!" And some guy said: "Pedals?" And some other guy said:
"What if we bring back the Maestro line? They have a "Vintage value", just like
our guitars and it would be the perfect match!"
I bet you if some third guy in the room thought the idea was lame and didn't feel it
was as cool as the "bandwagon jumpers" he decided to shut up. Or he spoke and got
shut up (negative person!) or got fired.
And now, all the Marketing Heads that started the train don't understand that the
train is empty. The customers were good where they were. They didn't need to
travel the Pedal Road once more. So the Heads are whipping away at lower management
to show some Sales Results! Push push push, sell sell sell.
It's not gonna work but the people that are gonna get the blame won't be upper management
I'm sure...

But I'm just a guy that likes/plays guitars.
I'm not some kind of Maestro or anything...

;)

jbash

Reaction score
I think the mistake Gibson made here is that the Maestro brand was used to get people excited, but none of the effects they brought out had anything to do with the historically significant, greatly desired designs of old.

Maestro was famous for 3 things.

Echoplex- Most famous and first commonly utilized "delay" of all time. Name is taken, but they should have done a digital tape sim- not a MXR Carbon Copy sim.

Maestro Fuzz- I'm not a fuzz guy, but geez..again the most famous and first fuzz out there.

Maestro Phase- First phaser device out there. Probably not the most famous, because many will assume little orange box, but the MP1 was all over recordings before the P90 hit. And it's a unique sound compared to the later MXR and EHX pedals. People who are fans of the Maestrophase, like myself, are HARDCORE about the Maestrophase. I own the only clone that is made on the market (Heptode Virtuoso) There is plenty of room for it, and it's easy to market it's history if you just make people aware.

If someone revises a brand that has been dead for decades and has some very heavy hitters and genuine firsts in the effects industry, you would think they would take advantage of that, and the existing fanbase who clamors for modern versions/sims of such (and bonus- they are just as useful to those who were not familiar with them- IOW you have a much larger potential fanbase)

Instead they bring out a bunch of pedals- new designs, and I'm guessing done by the same team doing the boogie pedals, and they aren't going anywhere because as @Bobby Mahogany and others mention- there is already a vast sea of these type of new pedals to choose from, and nothing to differentiate them from the rest.

What a waste of an opportunity for a company (Gibson) that is putting such a high emphasis on, and successfully capitalizing on, it's golden era. Here they dropped the freakin' ball. For my own part, they would have had two sales with an Echoplex and Maestrophase type (even though I have those already from other builders). And I know other people who were hoping for those original Fuzz and Echoplex sims too.

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Seriously, who needs another fucking Fuzz?

:dunno:

Chorus?
If you use a Chorus pedal, you already have one. Or two. Or three.

Distortion?
Wow! Sounds like a new thing. Interesting concept.
Hadn't encountered that in my decades of playing...

This is 2022. Mid/Old guys are the ones playing guitar.
Mid/Old guys have seen and tried/bought/sold everything.
We're good. Been there, done that.

I got a used Line6 500HD from a friend because I didn't have a Chorus..!
A little overkill maybe :laugh2: but I figured if I can't find a suitable Chorus effect
in the 500HD, maybe I don't need a Chorus! After all, I have played without one
forever. Look at my sig, SD-1, RAT, Dunlop Wah. I have a few other pedals
that I rarely use, 2 or 3? Old EH ones. 70's Big Muff and Black Finger Compressor,
a Doctor Q (stupid buy at the time...). 70's Ibanez Phaser I used to "fake play" No Quarter.
I still have to "Chorus" something out of the 500HD. Just didn't get around to it...
So, do I need another pedal?

I'm good. As are most people here. I don't need a Maestro whatever.

That line of products probably comes from a "think tank", a Marketing effort to bring
more revenues. "We can't sell more guitars? Let's sell something else our guitar
customer is interested in!" And some guy said: "Pedals?" And some other guy said:
"What if we bring back the Maestro line? They have a "Vintage value", just like
our guitars and it would be the perfect match!"
I bet you if some third guy in the room thought the idea was lame and didn't feel it
was as cool as the "bandwagon jumpers" he decided to shut up. Or he spoke and got
shut up (negative person!) or got fired.
And now, all the Marketing Heads that started the train don't understand that the
train is empty. The customers were good where they were. They didn't need to
travel the Pedal Road once more. So the Heads are whipping away at lower management
to show some Sales Results! Push push push, sell sell sell.
It's not gonna work but the people that are gonna get the blame won't be upper management
I'm sure...

But I'm just a guy that likes/plays guitars.
I'm not some kind of Maestro or anything...

;)
While I agree with what you're saying, I used to sell a ton of fuzz pedals to customers. Fuzz guys treat them like candy (I'm a fuzz guy). It's less about finding the "right" fuzz than it is about trying all the fuzz.

That said, this Maestro fuzz is nothing special, to my ears.

Latest Threads