New Gibson LP with missing documents

RaistMagus

Reaction score
UPDATE: I contacted Gibson and they were kind enough to send me all the missing documents and a missing tool (the small 2-in-1 for the truss rod with a screwdriver end). They were missing indeed, they were supposed to be there. I'm happy now
-----------------------
EDIT: there was no guitar "baby" photo, warranty card and Gibson checklist in the case.

----------------------
Hi all, I just bought a brand new Gibson LP Classic from Anderton's in the UK. The guitar was displayed at the physical store. I tried it in person and bought it online the next day. It arrived in a black Gibson hard case with silver logo and it is missing any certificate of authenticity and the extra black truss-rod cover.

Am I correct in assuming that this guitar should be accompanied by a certificate? Should the case include the extra truss rod cover? Should the case be brown with gold logo?

If they can't find the certificate, how much of a discount do you think is appropriate for a 2000$ guitar?

If you were to buy a second-hand Gibson LP and the owner didn't have the certificate, how would that affect your decision to buy it?

Last edited:

RaistMagus

Reaction score
Also just noticed some pink fluff fibers sticking to the binding at a few places, another indication that it came in a different case originally

Jupper

Reaction score
A Certificate of Authenticity is usually only for Custom Shop Gibsons. For a Gibson USA guitar, you should get a Gibson Owner's Manual, a Warranty Card, a "Baby" photo of your guitar at the factory, and a signed checklist. So no Certificate of Authenticity since the Classic is just part of the USA lineup.

And if you're buying a second-hand/used guitar. The jury's out on that because that's reliant on the original owner providing those when they exchange the guitar.

RaistMagus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't get any photo or signed checklist by Gibson. Just got a reply from Anderton's saying it is how it is supposed to be. I've also asked Gibson, let's see what they say.

Regarding the second hand question, I'll be the seller in that case, so I'm wondering how much will missing these documents will hurt the resale value.

2old2rock

Reaction score
I just picked up a new LP Classic from Guitar Center a couple weeks ago. It had just arrived off the truck and we unboxed it at the store. It came from the factory with a black hard case, signed setup card, warranty card, baby photo, multi tool, cheap Gibson strap, Gibson microfiber cloth, and owners manual (don't remember if it had the extra truss rod cover, but I don't think so.) I don't know if the ones sold in the UK would be any different, but all the above should be standard accessories for a new LP Classic or Standard IIRC.

pondcaster

Reaction score
I just picked up a new LP Classic from Guitar Center a couple weeks ago. It had just arrived off the truck and we unboxed it at the store. It came from the factory with a black hard case, signed setup card, warranty card, baby photo, multi tool, cheap Gibson strap, Gibson microfiber cloth, and owners manual (don't remember if it had the extra truss rod cover, but I don't think so.) I don't know if the ones sold in the UK would be any different, but all the above should be standard accessories for a new LP Classic or Standard IIRC.
This^^

No extra TRC with classics.

RaistMagus

Reaction score
Would it be too much to ask you for a photo of the warranty, baby photo and checklist? You can blur the serial number of course.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Andertons are usually pretty good IMHO. Did you buy it nominally "brand new" (in which case, you should get any case candy that was theoretically included in the package - and Andertons should/likely will put you right, though it's nothing I'd expect to affect resale value on that axe) or "ex-display" in which case bits might be expected to be missing, etc?

On a separate, but often mentioned, point - does no-one buy guitars to play anymore? Why is the resale value the first thing people worry about when they buy a new guitar?

RaistMagus

Reaction score
Andertons are usually pretty good IMHO. Did you buy it nominally "brand new" (in which case, you should get any case candy that was theoretically included in the package - and Andertons should/likely will put you right, though it's nothing I'd expect to affect resale value on that axe) or "ex-display" in which case bits might be expected to be missing, etc?

On a separate, but often mentioned, point - does no-one buy guitars to play anymore? Why is the resale value the first thing people worry about when they buy a new guitar?

I bought it as brand new, paid full price and all. No ex-display or b-stock. I've heard good things about Anderton's and I assume this was an honest mistake, but they did mess up. Unfortunatelly I don't have an unboxing video to prove these were not included. Let's hope they believe me.

When I pay 2k for a guitar I expect everything to be in order. I travelled to the store from a different country to try the guitar in person, becasue I *am* going to play it, and I want it to sound nice to my ears. I didn't nit pick the cosmetics, the maple top, or this and that. People's circumstances change and I may have to sell gear eventually. 2000 euros/dollars is a lot of money to some.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
For a new Classic, the current cases are black/black and only CS guitars (as a general rule anyway) have COA's. They should easily be able to provide you the "generic" items: tool, cloth, strap, and a warranty card. The two guitar-specific items are the born-on photo and setup card. None of these items affect the value of any note, if at all. From a re-sale point of view, there is "some" value to being able to say "includes all case candy", but that "value" is really more in being a little different from other comparable sales that don't have it so maybe yours sells a bit faster. If Anderton's gets you the tool, cloth, strap, and a warranty card, you can call it good -- I would definitely want those since they should be able to provide those if I were you. Even though you'd also like to get the two guitar-specific items, too, Anderton's not having them is far from a big deal such that you would need a discount. If anything, maybe they send you some extra sets of strings, if even that.

2old2rock

Reaction score
The "case candy" for a non-CS is what they call a Gibson "Accessory Kit" and should be pretty much the same for all new LP's, SG, etc. My old Tribute came with something like that as well.

2old2rock

Reaction score
This is what came in the "kit" in a black Ziploc bag (plus a desiccant bag in the case). Manila pouch contains the keys to the case lock.

Attachments

• IMG-0907_small.JPG
    IMG-0907_small.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 165

RaistMagus

Reaction score
This is what came in the "kit" in a black Ziploc bag (plus a desiccant bag in the case). Manila pouch contains the keys to the case lock.
Thanks a lot! I do indeed miss a couple of these. Andertons insist that's how they received it from Gibson, unfortunately.

Nintari

Reaction score
I would question whether or not it was new. And unless I was totally in love with the guitar, I would send it back and either wait for a replacement with everything in the case (I would stipulate wanting one that wasn't on display), or I would find some place else to buy one.

When it comes to guitars in that price range, I don't screw around.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Andertons insist that's how they received it from Gibson, unfortunately.
They should easily be able to provide you the "generic" items: tool, cloth, strap, and a warranty card. If Anderton's gets you the tool, cloth, strap, and a warranty card, you can call it good -- I would definitely want those since they should be able to provide by a simple claim to Gibson -- maybe call Gibson warranty? You are entitled to them.

RaistMagus

Reaction score
I would question whether or not it was new. And unless I was totally in love with the guitar, I would send it back and either wait for a replacement with everything in the case (I would stipulate wanting one that wasn't on display), or I would find some place else to buy one.

When it comes to guitars in that price range, I don't screw around.
My "problem" is that I really like how it sounds, and I'll always play one before I buy, therefore getting one from an opened case.

They should easily be able to provide you the "generic" items: tool, cloth, strap, and a warranty card. If Anderton's gets you the tool, cloth, strap, and a warranty card, you can call it good -- I would definitely want those since they should be able to provide by a simple claim to Gibson -- maybe call Gibson warranty? You are entitled to them.
The tool, cloth and strap were in the case. They say warranty paper can be only for US dealers and that I'm covered by Andertons warranty. My guess is that they lost the photo and checklist and don't want to admit it or they think I'm lying to them or they just don't care.

30secs

Reaction score
They probably just don't care. Honestly while you want all the candy with a new guitar, most importantly is the fit finish and sound. It's a Gibson and your have the receipt to prove.

Now.. Can it post a picture of your NG?

RaistMagus

Reaction score
They probably just don't care. Honestly while you want all the candy with a new guitar, most importantly is the fit finish and sound. It's a Gibson and your have the receipt to prove.

Now.. Can it post a picture of your NG?
I tried posting photos but they're too large and none of my phone's apps have the option to resize a photo... Will probably post a NGD thread at some point.

Latest Threads