New Gibson Les Pauls - what happened?

dasherf17

Reaction score
I've bought quite a few guitars that had smells to them, the worst was from a sweat dripping chain smoking doper who I swear never bothered to once wipe the guitar down. Totally neglect - bent tuners and green shit on the hardware. That said - it was a killer player and looker under the grime.

I removed all the hardware and used Virtuoso Cleaner on the entire body, then polish. The case was the real offender. Spray Auto Upholstery Cleaner for the interior did a lot. A few days in the sun with the lid open, and nights with activated charcoal got the rest out.

Justin... yeah I had a '59 Les Paul Special that was very similar in "makeup"...TV yellow looked almost brown, metal parts oxided over... even an outer ground wire from the bridge to the lower strap button. The new strings were the shiniest things on it! Played great and sounded honkin' in my Vox Royal Guardsman.
Gee I miss that guitar!

emerald81

Reaction score
New les pauls are probably good but a 20 years old (or more) les paul its different taste.
I suspect actual nitro lacquer change to another formula. And the wood source.

no jimmy p

Reaction score
Hey all,

ive had the opportunity to get back into playing electric and needed to grab a Les Paul. I picked up a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Wine Red with an Ebony fretboard in immaculate condition. $700 - great deal.

I’m extremely sensitive to smells and Unfortunately like so many used guitars, it’s got an odd cleaner/cologne patchouli smell from the previous owner. It’s not a bad smell but it’s noticeable and I’m having a hard time bonding with the guitar.

well, I decided to head over to guitar center as I needed an amp and also wanted to play a few of the new Les Pauls as I have been out of the loop for awhile.

I plugged into a Blackstar 40W - man that amp sounds great on YouTube, not so good in person. Conversely, I plugged into an amp I didn’t like from YouTube videos, Marshall DSLR40 - loved it! what an amp!

this is where it gets tough. That 97 Les Paul with the 490/498 pups sounded better than any guitar I’ve ever played. I was floored. So sad it smells.

well, I went ahead and plugged in Les Pauls Standards from 2016 and 2019.

what the fuck happened? They sounded dead, felt cheap in my hands and played stiffly. It was really disappointing as these guitars cost $2,000.

what the hell happened while I was away? Is it just crappy new wood? Is it the Burstbucker pups that sound bad? I’m at a loss.

how can I get that amazing growl and alive tone of the 97 Les Paul Studio in a newer Gibson Les Paul ?

I’m going to have to sell this studio if this smell doesn’t go away and I don’t know what I’m going to replace it with.

I know I could replace the pups but I feel it’s the wood and build quietly lacking.
Maybe I just have to fork over for a custom shop?

help :)
as far as the perfume smell , Google a smoke restoration outfit in your area , ServPro comes to mind . See if they have an Ozone chamber . After days / weeks of baking soda , Fabreeze , a guitar case deodorant , exposure to sunlight .... . I had a guitar case deodorized. it cost $40 and took 2 days .. well worth the slight expense

NiteGoat

Reaction score
If you can't get rid of the smell, and must part with your guitar, try finding a 2012 Les Paul Junior Special with humbuckers. They came stock with 490R/490T. I bought one new, in Satin Ebony, and boy does it sound and play sweet. In fact, it looks and sounds exactly like the guitar in this video:

T22

Reaction score
Quite simply, those older LP's were better. Keep it, seriously. $700?! You've received a gift. Many of us with modern LP's have had all sorts of nonsense, for three times the price.

It could be due to the case, so try giving it a regular air out. You can wipe down the guitar with a nitro cellulose friendly cleaner, just make sure you are ok with the smell. Clean the fret board with lemon oil also. You may have to do this a few times.

You can also try getting a new case.

tjdjr1

Reaction score
I recently got back a 1980 Standard I sold to a friend back in 1985. The guitar was mint back then and still is but he kept it in his basement and never played the guitar. The case and guitar had a mildew smell to it and my shirt would smell like it after playing the guitar. I put baking soda in the case and the smell is finally gone. The crazy thing about getting this guitar back was in the compartment I found my original Deluxe truss cover for my 78 ! To top it off he gave the guitar back to me and still won't take anything for it.... Good luck on your smell issue bad thing is the truily is an oil and make take a while to be gone...

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
If you can't get rid of the smell, and must part with your guitar, try finding a 2012 Les Paul Junior Special with humbuckers. They came stock with 490R/490T. I bought one new, in Satin Ebony, and boy does it sound and play sweet. In fact, it looks and sounds exactly like the guitar in this video:

I've owned one of these since 2012, it's one of my cheapest guitars, but it gets played ten times more than the most expensive ones. The neck is fast and responsive, even unplugged it has wonderful resonance, and when plugged in, the P90s on mine just rip!

Attachments

• IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 18

Mockbel

Reaction score
Old stuff always have their vibe... blind test may shock you in many cases... Once you know this piece of gear is from 70s your mind start to accept any sh!t coming from it just because it is from that beautiful era..

I would live with the smell if I really love the guitar.. otherwise a used reissue would be my choice

BKS

Reaction score
My Gibson M3 reeks of smoke. When i take it out of the case it is awefull. When i play it i just forget about it. Awesome guitar.

rogue3

Reaction score
what the fuck happened? They sounded dead, felt cheap in my hands and played stiffly. It was really disappointing as these guitars cost $2,000.

what the hell happened while I was away? Is it just crappy new wood? Is it the Burstbucker pups that sound bad? I’m at a loss.

help :)

probably both?

Quantum

Reaction score
If you're after a nice flame top and don't mind a slightly thicker '50s neck, may I suggest a Wildwood Standard?

They only have one in stock right now (and I think the top on it is spectacular) but they are fantastic guitars. Wildwood hand selects the tops so they are generally much flamier than other places, and they have underground '59 Tribute pickups which I personally think sound better than the Burstbuckers that would be stock in a '50s Standard.

Here is my Wildwood Standard:

hWaNO3g.jpg

MNHYOMt.jpg

XohM0je.jpg

There are some other members here who have Wildwood Standard's as well and I've not heard one bad thing from anyone who has one. I highly recommend taking a look at one.

hey thank you for this! I have been tracking wildwood daily now for new drops. That’s a great looking LP!

here’s my question. The wildwood pups, they sound kind of weak or anemic. Is that just how 59 pafs sound? Could be just YouTube sucks at really showcasing tone.

isuppose I could always just toss in some hotter pups too. I do like the 60s models with the 61s. I’m just a hot pup guy :)

I don’t think Wildwood Has a 60s model they do just a 50s.

now there is a 59 custom VOS I’m really loving but 5,200 is a lot of scratch (I’m not a fan of VOS but I’ve read all that “rust” can be cleaned off).

I think my best option is to just keep watching wildwood and bizarre guitar for tops on 60s that I like. That dark cherry burst is great but not sure if it’s me. I’m an ice tea Burst kinda guy.

to me it’s pearly gates on my mind when I think of LPs. I do know that pearly is a 59 paf but billy really seems to have fattened that up a lot with amps and pedals, ect.

peobryant

Reaction score
hey thank you for this! I have been tracking wildwood daily now for new drops. That’s a great looking LP!

here’s my question. The wildwood pups, they sound kind of weak or anemic. Is that just how 59 pafs sound? Could be just YouTube sucks at really showcasing tone.

isuppose I could always just toss in some hotter pups too. I do like the 60s models with the 61s. I’m just a hot pup guy :)

I don’t think Wildwood Has a 60s model they do just a 50s.

now there is a 59 custom VOS I’m really loving but 5,200 is a lot of scratch (I’m not a fan of VOS but I’ve read all that “rust” can be cleaned off).

I think my best option is to just keep watching wildwood and bizarre guitar for tops on 60s that I like. That dark cherry burst is great but not sure if it’s me. I’m an ice tea Burst kinda guy.

to me it’s pearly gates on my mind when I think of LPs. I do know that pearly is a 59 paf but billy really seems to have fattened that up a lot with amps and pedals, ect.

I think the guitar sounds a lot better in person than it does in the Wildwood video. The neck is thick and creamy and the bridge is fairly bright and kind of twangy, but it has a nice bite to it. I think they sound phenomenal.

But if you're a hot pup guy, you may not like them. I emailed Wildwood about the pickups and they told me they are the same '59 Tributes Gibson used on '14 and '15 Traditionals but underwound for a more PAF accurate sound.

As of right now, Wildwood is only doing a '50s Standard, if they do a '60s Standard I'm sure it will be phenomenal as well and I'd probably have to pick one of those up, too. The tops they get on the regular Gibson Standards (both '50s and '60s) and usually great as well, but the really nice tops generally sell really fast.

jbash

Reaction score
Yikes. If they are underwound tributes in the WW guitars they are definitely low output. The Standard 59Ts from the original run are already on the medium low-ish side of output and similar to my T Top clones in how they hit the front end of my Marshalls.

And FWIW- if you have experienced the original run of 61Zebras from 2014/15- that's the same pickup as the 59 Tribute, just with A5 mags (mine had short roughcast, others have found full length). Resistance readings are in the mid to high 7K range for the original 59T/61Z sets.

jtees4

Reaction score
I have had very good luck getting bad smells out using coffee grounds (from a can...unbrewed)...put it in an open container or two in the closed hard case with the guitar. The real bad ones took a good week, then a day or two out in the air....and the smell was gone. I used to buy and sell guitars, so I came across all kinds of bad smells....heavy smokers were the worst usually. Good luck.

BKS

Reaction score
Than you are left with a guitar selling like a cup of coffee.... Yuck, would tea work too? :laugh2:

tigerflame

Reaction score
I personally owned a Tribute from 2018 with 490/498s and I hated them. I prefer low output pickups, which is why my Standard has the AlNiCo 2s in it.

Latest Threads