New Gibson Les Pauls - what happened?

moreles

Reaction score
A Randall said it. It's your preferences, not Gibson. Based on a few guitars, no generalization such as the one you offered can be true or even helpful. Be glad you found one you, yourself, like. Most of us long-term players have encounted inexpensive, or non-mainstream or other instruments that we have loved. Ry Cooder is the overused but good example. As for me, I'm happy you like your older studio because I much prefer the new Gibsons with their improved quality and without the overheated pickups of some past models.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Has to be the pups. Also the 16’ and 19’ have no weight relief (and body is thicker than a studio) so I’m sure they felt heavier too.

Quantum

Reaction score
So I went and played a 2020 60s standard today. On par with my studio. I might buy it. The top wasn’t flamey enough for me(I know I’m a picky sumbitch) so I gotta sleep on it.
Thanks all!

peobryant

Reaction score
So I went and played a 2020 60s standard today. On par with my studio. I might buy it. The top wasn’t flamey enough for me(I know I’m a picky sumbitch) so I gotta sleep on it.
Thanks all!

If you're after a nice flame top and don't mind a slightly thicker '50s neck, may I suggest a Wildwood Standard?

They only have one in stock right now (and I think the top on it is spectacular) but they are fantastic guitars. Wildwood hand selects the tops so they are generally much flamier than other places, and they have underground '59 Tribute pickups which I personally think sound better than the Burstbuckers that would be stock in a '50s Standard.

Here is my Wildwood Standard:

hWaNO3g.jpg

MNHYOMt.jpg

XohM0je.jpg

There are some other members here who have Wildwood Standard's as well and I've not heard one bad thing from anyone who has one. I highly recommend taking a look at one.

MiniB

Reaction score
Very often, guitars in GC are set up so badly or not at all, so they play terribly and are hard to gauge how they sound or have the potential of sounding through the demo amp.

jbash

Reaction score
Studio likely rocking 300k pots too. Which makes that 498 sound pretty aggressive compared to burstbuckers with 500k all around and 50s wiring. My old Firebird studio with 498 and 300k was like a flamethrower. Huge sounding guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sorry your new Studio has an odor you can't get past. I have had many guitars over the years, and once I got my Les Paul Custom, it was all over. I did not need another guitar. I kept my Studio HP though with 490/498 pups, it plays/feels and sounds great, and definitely hard to replace for the price I payed for her with the higher prices now-a-days. But... I had a few different Les Paul's when I got the custom and the custom has a growl to it that no other Les Paul I have ever played has. I mean, I did not have any Les Paul customs before, they were out of my price range, but I had heard about a Les Paul Custom being on a different level than the Standard/Classic/Traditional and such. Anyway, I have not played any of the newer 50's and 60's models which are supposed to be more like Old School Les Paul guitars for weight and design, so maybe a new heavier Standard will have more to it than the previous Standards. I really did love my 2017 Blueberry Burst, it was a really sweet guitar, but once I got the Les Paul Custom, I just did not play it, so I sold it.

Good luck finding the one, sometimes it takes a while.

rikko

Reaction score
Mmmmm....
Goth chics....

Put some of those in there....
:laugh2: :dude:

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
My 2017 lp standard HP and my ‘60s lp standard are amazing.

I did have to do some good sifting for the HP standard, but as for the 60’s standard (made in Jan. 2020) I was only able to feel the necks of 2 (due to covid) so I picked the best feeling one and it turned out to be my #1, and personally the best lp I’ve put my hands on.

However there are going to be dogs and diamonds every year

Good luck on your search!

bross63

Reaction score
As others have mentioned you may be able to remove the odor from your ‘97 studio. The old lighter fluid mentioned was probably naphtha. They changed the formula of Ronsignol years back, but you can buy some white gas used in camp stoves. That is pure naphtha with no additives. Naphtha will remove any crud from your guitar and not harm a nitrocellulose finish. It’s better than any of the packaged “guitar” cleaners. You might even want to clean out inside the pickup wells, and you can even use naphtha on the pickups since you said those smell the worst. As also mentioned the case itself may be the source of the smell if someone put some patchouli oil into the case (now its in the fibers) or may now be a source of the smell if smell from the guitar has transferred to the case. Baking soda and activated charcoal have both been mentioned and are your best bets for removing the smell from the case. If you get the guitar free of smell (or at least down to an acceptable level for you) and the case can’t be totally cleared of smell then just don’t keep the guitar in that case except when you have to for transport. Good luck

truckermde

Reaction score
Lot's of good suggestions for dealing with the smell, which I believe is your best option.

As far as Guitar Center goes, I do not frequent that establishment, but every guitar I have ever picked up at one of their stores has been a dud. If you think about it, it's obvious why. The strings are invariably filthy, and the set-up is poor, since every teenager in town has fondled them with his booger-covered fingers, and drooled on them while attempting Sweet Child, or Stairway.

You must visit a more exclusive and reputable establishment...

madh4ttr

Reaction score
My new Bourbon Burst is a phenomenal guitar. These are the best LP's in a long time. Not sure why you are so turned
off by them but, to each his own.
theone.jpg

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Hey all,

ive had the opportunity to get back into playing electric and needed to grab a Les Paul. I picked up a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Wine Red with an Ebony fretboard in immaculate condition. $700 - great deal.

I’m extremely sensitive to smells and Unfortunately like so many used guitars, it’s got an odd cleaner/cologne patchouli smell from the previous owner. It’s not a bad smell but it’s noticeable and I’m having a hard time bonding with the guitar.

well, I decided to head over to guitar center as I needed an amp and also wanted to play a few of the new Les Pauls as I have been out of the loop for awhile.

I plugged into a Blackstar 40W - man that amp sounds great on YouTube, not so good in person. Conversely, I plugged into an amp I didn’t like from YouTube videos, Marshall DSLR40 - loved it! what an amp!

this is where it gets tough. That 97 Les Paul with the 490/498 pups sounded better than any guitar I’ve ever played. I was floored. So sad it smells.

well, I went ahead and plugged in Les Pauls Standards from 2016 and 2019.

what the fuck happened? They sounded dead, felt cheap in my hands and played stiffly. It was really disappointing as these guitars cost $2,000.

what the hell happened while I was away? Is it just crappy new wood? Is it the Burstbucker pups that sound bad? I’m at a loss.

how can I get that amazing growl and alive tone of the 97 Les Paul Studio in a newer Gibson Les Paul ?

I’m going to have to sell this studio if this smell doesn’t go away and I don’t know what I’m going to replace it with.

I know I could replace the pups but I feel it’s the wood and build quietly lacking.
Maybe I just have to fork over for a custom shop?

help :)
I once traded my SG Classic for a 2004 SG Standard and I didn’t realize it when I first got it that it REEKED of smoke. It was disgusting, like it had sat next to a campfire for most of its life. Since then I also bought a Suhr Modern that also had a very strong smoke smell. As an ex-smoker it just smelled nasty to me. But I found a way to get rid of the smell on both guitars and if I can get rid of that smell, you can totally get rid of some patchouli aroma, trust me. There is zero need to get rid of that studio if it’s the best sounding guitar you’ve ever played. It’s pretty simple: buy at least two of these Arm & Hammer fridge and freezer deodorizers: Arm & Hammer Fridge Fresh Refrigerator Air Filter (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005N7FI9I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bmn4EbV43D6WQ
And just as important, buy a bunch of activated charcoal packs. You can buy these or buy it bulk and put it into mesh bags (this brand is just an example there are tons of options): Oududianzi Air Purifying Bags(8 Pack - 4x200g+4x50g) with 4 Hooks,Shoe Deodorizer,Bamboo Charcoal Bag,Activated Charcoal Odor Absorber,Charcoal Air Purifiers for Car,Closet,Pet Areas,Basement etc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XCWZCPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bon4EbPK07TD6
Next, put the guitar in a hard shell case with matches and literally stuff it full of these. Put at least two of the Arm & Hammer deodorizers and as many of the charcoal bags as you can fit into the case with the guitar. Make sure to distribute them fairly evenly - some by the neck, some next to the body. Close the case and literally let it sit for a few weeks to months. You can use the guitar here and there if you want, just make sure to keep in the case most of the time. I guarantee you that smell will be gone in a few months. It took about 5-6 months for the SG but the Suhr was odor-free in just a few weeks. At least it was unnoticeable. You won’t regret it.

Tinpan

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe those other Lesters had taken up permanent residence at Guitar Center for a reason.

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
I hear you about the weird odor problem, I picked up an ES Les Paul a while back, it had a strong mildew odor I didn't even notice when I bought it until I got home. I tried baking soda, (two boxes in a big plastic bag with the guitar) for a month, still stunk. What finally had the most effect was standing the guitar in a corner with a fan blowing on it for a couple weeks, since it was a hollow body the air needed to circulate into the F holes. I tried dryer sheets in the holes, but that just made it stink like dryer sheets, just fresh air and time was the best method....
IMG_1126.JPG

Reactions: Who

captdan61

Reaction score
I hadn’t thought of that. That it was just I got a good one and the others were duds. You know, the other irritating thing as a guitarist is that I’ll bet you if I go in and play those same guitars next week they will sound different to me. Tis a curse.
Back in 1975 when I got my first Les Paul I was a kid it was my first good guitar and I went into a store in Seattle called Uptown music. I really didn't know anything about what I was doing and there were so many beautiful fancy guitar are they worth customs and gold tops and black beauties and Sunburst everything I had no idea that. I didn't want to be seduced by cosmetics. So I just close my eyes and I asked to bring me a bunch of guitar and I just rub the single cord on each one of them and kind of noodles for a moment. Until I played one and it was noticeably louder and it sustained longer and it felt better and without opening my eyes I said I'll take this one and it was a wine red Les Paul Standard and I never would have chosen it. Sadly I sold it after I got out of high school and I've regretted it ever since. But I do still have the 1980 Les Paul Pro Deluxe that I bought a few years later I've been playing that bars for 40 years. some guitars are simply better than others and brand doesn't matter. I don't care if you look at an old old harmony's or you're looking at PRS of fender an gibson. Like the man said every brand in every era makes both gems and absolute piles of shit try not to buy a pile of shit

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Hey all,

ive had the opportunity to get back into playing electric and needed to grab a Les Paul. I picked up a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Wine Red with an Ebony fretboard in immaculate condition. $700 - great deal.

I’m extremely sensitive to smells and Unfortunately like so many used guitars, it’s got an odd cleaner/cologne patchouli smell from the previous owner. It’s not a bad smell but it’s noticeable and I’m having a hard time bonding with the guitar.

well, I decided to head over to guitar center as I needed an amp and also wanted to play a few of the new Les Pauls as I have been out of the loop for awhile.

I plugged into a Blackstar 40W - man that amp sounds great on YouTube, not so good in person. Conversely, I plugged into an amp I didn’t like from YouTube videos, Marshall DSLR40 - loved it! what an amp!

this is where it gets tough. That 97 Les Paul with the 490/498 pups sounded better than any guitar I’ve ever played. I was floored. So sad it smells.

well, I went ahead and plugged in Les Pauls Standards from 2016 and 2019.

what the fuck happened? They sounded dead, felt cheap in my hands and played stiffly. It was really disappointing as these guitars cost $2,000.

what the hell happened while I was away? Is it just crappy new wood? Is it the Burstbucker pups that sound bad? I’m at a loss.

how can I get that amazing growl and alive tone of the 97 Les Paul Studio in a newer Gibson Les Paul ?

I’m going to have to sell this studio if this smell doesn’t go away and I don’t know what I’m going to replace it with.

I know I could replace the pups but I feel it’s the wood and build quietly lacking.
Maybe I just have to fork over for a custom shop?

help :)

Rent a small ionizer from a tool rental place and put the guitar and case in a closet or small room with the ionizer. I've had great luck getting rid of smells in cars with these. It's about $30 a day and it should work. Good luck,

Latest Threads