John Nada

Reaction score
Are there new faded versions of the Gibson Les Paul Standard coming out? Thomann is advertising them on their website, without any pictures, but with these specs:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 60s, electric guitar, mahogany body (swietenia macrophylla), maple top, cream binding, mahogany neck (swietenia macrophylla), rosewood fretboard (Dalbergia Latifolia), 50s rounded neck profile, nut width 1,695", scale length 24,75", 22 medium frets, acrylic trapezoid inlays, cream neck binding, aluminium tune-o-matic bridge, aluminium stop bar, locking tuners, classic 57+ bridge pickup, classic 57 neck pickup, controls 2x volume, 2x tone, hardcase included, Made in USA.

Link here:

https://www.thomann.de/nl/gibson_les_paul_standard_faded_60s.htm

The same thing for the 50's standard, with a shorter description;

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 50s, electric guitar, mahongany body (modern weight relief), maple top, mahogany neck with 50s neck profile, rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, 43 mm saddle width,classic 57` humbucker (neck), classic 57`+ humbucker (bridge), nickel hardware, color: faded, incl. case, made in USA.

I'm not sure if these are accurate, since a few things seem slighty off. But I got curious and thought I missed an announcement. Strange enough I cannot find a single thing about this outside of Thomann, though this doesn't strike me as some kind of mistake.

I am pretty interested to know more. If they release these guitars with a thinner nitro finish, different kind of tops with other kind of pickups, I think it would be cool. I might go for something like a 60's Les Paul in honeyburst or lemonburst with a thin nitro finish and different pickups than the 61's I already have twice.

If someone knows more about this, please chime in. If not: let's speculate! :D

BDW60

Reaction score
Not sure why they wouldn’t bring the Faded models back. Cult following on the used market, less labor intensive to make, values have held up well. Seems like they could parlay that into easy and profitable sales.

All it takes is a few people on the internet and Larry Corsa to say they sound better than a fully finished LP and BAM! A legend is born.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
I have two of the original 2005 models with the 50's neck. They are great guitars.
4F619B00-EBA4-4A22-960E-F8A5AE63AB99.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
Not sure why they wouldn’t bring the Faded models back. Cult following on the used market, less labor intensive to make, values have held up well.

Only reason I can think of is that it might cut into sales of other more profitable models above it......maybe it might overlap the Classic too much.
But if you were wanting to upsell people from a studio or tribute line it might just be tempting.

smk506

Reaction score
There was something pretty special about the original faded run of standards. The tops on most of them that I’ve seen were exceptional by todays standards.

syco

Reaction score
Not sure why they wouldn’t bring the Faded models back. Cult following on the used market, less labor intensive to make, values have held up well. Seems like they could parlay that into easy and profitable sales.

All it takes is a few people on the internet and Larry Corsa to say they sound better than a fully finished LP and BAM! A legend is born.
Probably just to "piss " you off .

John Nada

Reaction score
Wouldn’t do that at all. I would probably check them out, actually, if the pricing was enticing.
Well, on Thomann it looks like they're about 250 bucks more expensive than the regular standard.

lats667

Reaction score
I had a 2005 50s, I paid around $1000 for it used in 2005-6. The top was ok, I guess, but by no means "AAA". The guitar felt a bit unfinished, and I found the neck too thick, so passed it on after a few months. Also I didn't like how easily it got small indentations from nails and whatever.

John Nada

Reaction score
It could be a Thomann limtited run?
But would Gibson do a limited run only for Thomann? Usually they include a few other stores, at least a bigger one in the U.S. or something.

However, Thomann was the first to advertise the Epiphone 1959 Standard a few years back. It just seems strange they put this on their website without anything being announced anywhere else. You think this would've been talked about at NAMM.

Since Gibson stopped releasing new models each year, I think it would be a good thing to shake things up a bit. The current standards have been out for four years, it would be nice to have some other options than the current three in each the 50's and 60's range.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... The current standards have been out for four years, it would be nice to have some other options than the current three in each the 50's and 60's range.
Yes, agreed, especially considering the new line up was a "pared down, and right after bankruptcy" line up that has been extremely successful. Since its introduction, I think Gibson realized that there is a large market for their products if they build the right things with good quality.

John Nada

Reaction score
Yes, agreed, especially considering the new line up was a "pared down, and right after bankruptcy" line up that has been extremely successful. Since its introduction, I think Gibson realized that there is a large market for their products if they build the right things with good quality.
Absolutely! I bought a Standard 60's in April 2020, my first real Gibson Les Paul, and it has been my favorite guitar ever since. If they would release something around the same price point that I wouldn't have to play wear in for a year with the same quality but different specs and looks, I could be in the market for that.

John Nada

Reaction score
I've been digging into this today, and I decided to make a video of this adventure:

Mr French

Reaction score
Ahh yes good ol 2005 era. I wonder if they will offer these in the same 7 or 8 different colors that they once had.

I would of snagged a few of these back then but I was not a fan of the faded finish and we didn't have the same chemical polishers as today to give them have a better looking sheen.

Last edited:

John Nada

Reaction score
Ahh yes good ol 2005 era. I wonder if they will offer these in the same 7 or 8 different colors that they once had.

I would of snagged a few of these back then but I was not a fan of the faded finish and we didn't have the same chemical polishers as today to give them have a better looking sheen.
Yeah the old ones looked a bit weird. But Epiphone can do it right these days, surely Gibson must be able to do the finish better these days.

Latest Threads