New Gibson Les Paul Standard 50’s

amgomez

Reaction score
I also have had similar experiences in the last 12 months with Gibson Les Pauls. My 2019 Standard arrived with very odd wavy binding, a chipped fret, and a rough fingerboard. I ordered a 2020 Les Paul Classic and it arrived with the oddest finish flaws I have seen yet around several sides of the neck joint. I finally have a keeper (2020 Les Paul Standard) but it took a while.

I used to live in San Diego - I loved it there and miss it quite a lot. The first Les Paul I ever bought new was in downtown Dan Diego in 1993. That guitar was flawless :)

Here are a few pics of my QC issues

View attachment 519046 View attachment 519047 View attachment 519048
I’ve had the same issues, and the worst was a maxed out truss rod. I think it really boils down to the person working on certain aspects of the guitar. It sucks that a person would just pass a guitar knowing very well they half assed it.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I’ve had the same issues, and the worst was a maxed out truss rod. I think it really boils down to the person working on certain aspects of the guitar. It sucks that a person would just pass a guitar knowing very well they half assed it.
I agree 100% - I have been looking at and handling new Les Pauls for 30 years. It seems to me that I never saw the issues we are speaking of in the 90s & early 2000s - Im sure there were some occurrences but now its starting to seem like many more of them are showing odd QC issues.

rogue3

Reaction score
Since it plays great, a nice discount and steel wool?(i see i was beaten too it!)

amgomez

Reaction score
So, the steel wool didn’t work. I’m yet to try the razor blade. I’m starting to think it’s super glue! I’ll give it a try when I restring it!
Also, I’ll be keeping the guitar. They refunded me $180. That’s good enough for me

RalphieBoy

Reaction score
That's gotta come off with a razor if it's on the surface. Gibson apparently doesn't consider themselves high end if they let this out the door.....shame. And on a top of the line Standard!! I believe these are Gibson's and should be held to highest standards.....no pun intended.

redking

Reaction score
Check with the pros in the luthier section for the best course of action if it doesn't easily scrape off.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the steel wool didn’t work. I’m yet to try the razor blade. I’m starting to think it’s super glue! I’ll give it a try when I restring it!
Also, I’ll be keeping the guitar. They refunded me $180. That’s good enough for me
Well if you are "surgical" and protect the areas around (i'd do gentle tape and plastic) the area you could use acetone on a rag and clean it off if its glue... but be warned if you get it on the nitro finish you're gonna have bad time...

amgomez

Reaction score
Well if you are "surgical" and protect the areas around (i'd do gentle tape and plastic) the area you could use acetone on a rag and clean it off if its glue... but be warned if you get it on the nitro finish you're gonna have bad time...
I used 1000 grit sandpaper, and some of it came off. I’m gonna try that again when I need to restring it. It was annoying doing it between the strings. I know I could loosen the strings, but I’m a bit of a nut. I feel that it messes with the integrity of the strings and creates slight buzzing. At least in my experience, it seems that way. Haha

redking

Reaction score
I used 1000 grit sandpaper, and some of it came off. I’m gonna try that again when I need to restring it. It was annoying doing it between the strings. I know I could loosen the strings, but I’m a bit of a nut. I feel that it messes with the integrity of the strings and creates slight buzzing. At least in my experience, it seems that way. Haha
if you use sandpaper again, make sure to use a super light touch so you don't deform the radius of the fretboard. That's why I suggested using a razor blade as a scraper because it won't let you go down too deep as long as you keep it parallel to the fretboard and just work away at the edges.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not wrong...stuff definitely moves. I always leave the d string on during string changes and cleaning to keep everything in position.

emerald81

Reaction score
Buy from pre '09 o '90s. New or recent years gibsons lacks qc.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I have taken discounts on guitars that weren't perfect but than they weren't Gibson Les Paul's of any kind. I think I would have them send it back and get a new one in. Some things are just too special in my opinion to settle.

Nintari

Reaction score
Maybe someone did a set up and used something funky on the fretboard (or used too much of it).

afireinside

Reaction score
Buy a Heritage. Ive bought 2 played 4 in the last month or so flawless and play/sound amazing!
20210118_135257.jpg
20210118_135257.jpg
Screenshot_20210205-101425_Gallery.jpg

mgdesigns

Reaction score
The Mom & Pop shops are pretty much out of the picture when it comes to being a dealer for Gibson. Gibson, as far as I know, still requires the dealer to purchase what Gibson sends them, and most M&P's cannot sell $5k LP's and order minimum $100K per year up front. The big boxes are all that's left in the Gibson dealer networks. At least that's what I was told by a Nashville dealer about 15 years ago, and he had to cut from them.

Latest Threads