New Gibson Generation Acoustics

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Saw these today, look nice with Satin Finish and the Player Port, competively priced. The 00 is under a grand, and the G-45 looking good to my eyes (and wallet!)

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll have mine without two sound holes.

EspyHop

Reaction score
I’d love to see Gibson use cedar tops with the walnut acoustics.

Walnut is a bit too brash and loud for spruce. Cedar would tame it and warm it up a bit.

eyeface

Reaction score
I dunno, looking at the G45, compared to the previous model, it just looks like a complete downgrade.

The original G45 retailed at 999 if I remember correctly, while the new one is 1099.

With the new one, you do get (striped) ebony, instead of walnut for the fingerboard, fair enough. But you get a simple rectangular bridge in place of a belly up bridge, a gigbag instead of a hardcase, no electronics, no binding, even on the top.

To me it just seems they've downgraded it, increased the price, and chopped an extra hole in it...

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I dunno, looking at the G45, compared to the previous model, it just looks like a complete downgrade.

The original G45 retailed at 999 if I remember correctly, while the new one is 1099.

With the new one, you do get (striped) ebony, instead of walnut for the fingerboard, fair enough. But you get a simple rectangular bridge in place of a belly up bridge, a gigbag instead of a hardcase, no electronics, no binding, even on the top.

To me it just seems they've downgraded it, increased the price, and chopped an extra hole in it...
Gibson Acoustics have increased in price across the range, and ports are an upgrade/customization in the acoustic/classical world.

Also it’s a really high quality gig bag, which is more function than form for a gigging player, rather than an at home player, although this can go both ways.

Realistically they are great value for what they are- all solid wood acoustics hand made in the USA. Compare to Martin for example.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I’d love to see Gibson use cedar tops with the walnut acoustics.

Walnut is a bit too brash and loud for spruce. Cedar would tame it and warm it up a bit.
I have an old Cedar topped cherry B&S Seagull dread, sounds nice but does choke out at higher volumes.

I think Spruce is the standard for acoustic steel strings, and compared to mahogany, isn’t walnut closer to rosewood?

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I’ve never needed a port, so why? Easier to shake your pick out? Can carry it like a 6 pack? Other than that, I like the looks, price and construction. Maybe add a third hole? Just saying.
D7EBC2A7-BA81-4CB4-BB03-97B3E86E0A0F.jpeg

My Guild D55 will have to suffice for now.

Last edited:

Latest Threads