New Gibson coming pre-scratched?

Boris1268

Reaction score
Hey, I picked up new LP 50s goldie. Good news is QC has definetely improved. However, the guitar has kinda Deep, 2inch long scratch on the side, close to lower strap button. I thinking it goes through clear coat and into the wood, but its barely palpable. I even thought its under the finish...strange anyway. Is it normaln that brand new Gibsons come predinged from factory? This guitar was shipped straight from warehouse. Kinda unappy seeing this in brand new guitar...

SloMoTX

Reaction score
Others have said the QC has been failing for a few years with dings, etc. A long scratch like that is just bad!

Boris1268

Reaction score
Small but nasty..
20211114_234903.jpg

Boris1268

Reaction score
^Small... but not remotely "nasty".

If it really bugs you, get some Simichrome paste, apply a tiny amount to a clean cloth, and gently wipe it away.
Yeah; I'd like to remove it for my sanity ;) not sure it is an easy fix though..

Peter M

Reaction score
^ looks like a surface scratch to me and Simichrome will make it vanish.

Colnago1

Reaction score
Looks like it will easily polish out from the picture. In hand might be different.

integra evan

Reaction score
Is it deep into the nitro?
If it's just on the surface, another product that works amazing is Jescar scratch and swirl remover.

MP4-22

Reaction score
Just play it, i wouldn't worry about a tiny scratch.

QC doesn't mean chuck every guitar with a slight flaw in the bin. I think people forget these are production line guitars. When you get to the custom shop level people pay extra for scratches.

Boris1268

Reaction score
Is it deep into the nitro?
If it's just on the surface, another product that works amazing is Jescar scratch and swirl remover.

Not sure. Scratch is barely palpable, but as it is kinda white, I even thought its in the wood. Not sure, maybe I should hand it to the Luthier to look at it. Another pic.
20211115_074623.jpg

In the words of me...

"Just play it".
I do play it :)
Btw., isnt simichrome paste bound for metal surfaces?

Last edited:

msalama

Reaction score
The scratch is underneath the dots in the finish so it's not something you can buff out - or so it seems at any rate.

Peter M

Reaction score
isnt simichrome paste bound for metal surfaces?

It's made for polishing metal, but happens to be great at removing (or making less apparent) scratches on glossy surfaces. Safe for nitro; I've used it quite a few times.

Last edited:

Latest Threads