New Gibson Cases

mjross

Reaction score
I’d love to see one of these new Protector cases in person. I have two of the old protector cases. The Red lined case (Gen 2?) has 3 plastic latches, is a much sleeker shape and has a nice squishy handle which makes a difference when you’re walking for a bit. I used this case through high school and college and took it to many gigs. Was missing one plastic latch when I got it, but still held together just fine with two.

The Blue lined case (Gen 3) is bigger and boxier and has a hard plastic handle, but has metal latches. I use this whenever I have to transport my R8, or 72 Deluxe. Its okay… big, boxy, heavy. But heavy duty protection.

The Lifton style case that came with my R8 sits in a box in the attic and never gets used (does anyone actually use their case?).
If you are talking about the Lifton the answer is NO! They appear to be made more for studio storage than gigging. I have special cases and gig bags for gigging.

GT40

Reaction score
...The Lifton style case that came with my R8 sits in a box in the attic and never gets used (does anyone actually use their case?).
My LP came with one of the aged Lifton style and my LPC came with a non aged one. I use the cases all the time.

Dilver

Reaction score
The new Chainsaws look like the better Gator Pro TSA that were Gibson branded for an additional $60.

Gator Pro TSA

Wow. Good eyes. If you look at the detailed photos of the latches, handle and edges, it appears to be the same case with a Gibson panel molded in. Is that really worth $60 more?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
The chainsaw one looks really cool. But I wish they made the handle like the original ones and the case was less bulky. I’d be all over a generation 1 styled model.

GT1

Reaction score
If I gig, I'll just use my HP Aluminum case with one my more inexpensive guitars. Let them try to grab that and run with it, they will grab it to run with it and say F%$K this and drop it. haha So... So... damn heavy! lol

View attachment 544624

Those prices are insanely high, so overpriced it is ridiculous. If they want to make money on those, they really need to cut that price in half, because very few people will buy them. This case above is only like $400 and it is definitely bad ass for sure.
This is very true! I have a '16 LP HP with that case. The guitar weight is 8 1/2 pounds, and that case weights nearly 25 pounds!

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow. Good eyes. If you look at the detailed photos of the latches, handle and edges, it appears to be the same case with a Gibson panel molded in. Is that really worth $60 more?
Adds to the appeal to a potential thief.

I have a couple of beater / off branded cases kept for the sole purpose of taking good guitars to things like open mic nights and the odd gig that I'm the fill in where I don't know the venue.

Latest Threads