New Gibson Cases

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the new Protector cases the other day. If they are half as good as the originals, they will be great.

mjross

Reaction score
Yeah, the new ”chain saw” is pretty interesting! Going to cut into the people trying to sell used ones for about the same price. However, those Calton cases, I’ll just have to live with what I’ve got. Too damned expensive!

Phil W

Reaction score
This is great but way, WAY, over-priced!

Calton Case

I'd buy one if it was $400 to $500; those prices are insane!
(I can easily afford one but I'm not paying that much for a case unless it has a MESA amp built in.)

mjross

Reaction score

Calton Case

(I can easily afford one but I'm not paying that much for a case unless it has a MESA amp built in.)
Crazy part is they will probably sell a bunch of them! Perfect for that 10K Murphy Lab.

v-man

Reaction score
You have to be shitting me. Just bought a new in box Gibson USA case (red plush) mid-pandemic for $175. The beat up 90’s TKL (pink lined) guy wouldn’t budge from $250 so I bought new.

WTF would PRICE it for $1,200 much less buy one?!

Socrates

Reaction score
Curious..do you guys think the new protector case would be strong enough to handle airline baggage handling? It would be nice to have one case that I could checkin as baggage if I ever had to.

Phil W

Reaction score
Curious..do you guys think the new protector case would be strong enough to handle airline baggage handling? It would be nice to have one case that I could checkin as baggage if I ever had to.
No it'll just piss of the baggage handlers when they are forced to waste time taking the guitar OUT of the case to damage it!

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
They look pretty sturdy! The old “chain saw” cases were very durable. Hopefully, the protector case is the new and improved “chain saw”case! Not very elegant however.

jlb32

Reaction score
Pictures of the new cases without having to search?

Dilver

Reaction score
I’d love to see one of these new Protector cases in person. I have two of the old protector cases. The Red lined case (Gen 2?) has 3 plastic latches, is a much sleeker shape and has a nice squishy handle which makes a difference when you’re walking for a bit. I used this case through high school and college and took it to many gigs. Was missing one plastic latch when I got it, but still held together just fine with two.

The Blue lined case (Gen 3) is bigger and boxier and has a hard plastic handle, but has metal latches. I use this whenever I have to transport my R8, or 72 Deluxe. Its okay… big, boxy, heavy. But heavy duty protection.

The Lifton style case that came with my R8 sits in a box in the attic and never gets used (does anyone actually use their case?).

jlb32

Reaction score
I use my cases all the time when traveling to gigs, etc..

I am not flying on planes though but if I was I would try to bring my guitar as carry on or box it up like I was shipping it.

Most bag handlers at airports do not care what they are loading/unloading. They just throw it. lol

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
I know Jared James Nichols is mostly playing his part as he's somewhat in the payroll, but he addresses exactly that in this video. (Just hit play, it's in the right part):

rjwilson37

Reaction score

Calton Case

If I gig, I take my cheapo in a gunny sack....
If I gig, I'll just use my HP Aluminum case with one my more inexpensive guitars. Let them try to grab that and run with it, they will grab it to run with it and say F%$K this and drop it. haha So... So... damn heavy! lol

lpstudiohpcase.jpg

Those prices are insanely high, so overpriced it is ridiculous. If they want to make money on those, they really need to cut that price in half, because very few people will buy them. This case above is only like $400 and it is definitely bad ass for sure.

Brian N

Reaction score
I recently bought a Les Paul that came with the brown case they're listing for $199. It's a nice case so I wasnt too eager to get rid of it, but I already have another LP case and I dont plan on ever taking both my LPs somewhere at the same time, so I listed it for $170 which I thought wasn't really discounted enough to attract a buyer. I was wrong; three interested people in the first week. Sold it pretty dang quick. $170 back on a $1,600 LP isn't a bad little extra bit of discount!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Very cool about the new protector cases!

Holy F the Carltons are expensive, but made in USA and good quality, will appeal to a certain sector of the market (why not/disposable income/flex)

My lowly Canadian TKL reminds me of my fav cases the old mid-90s pink and brown, so I'll keep on w/ that.

Latest Threads