New Fender Strat How to Pickguard-I can't get it off!

Dougie

Reaction score
Since When??

I have Strats from 1980 to 2013 and have NEVER had to remove the Neck to remove a fully assembled Pickguard.

I this new for 2013???

Anything besides a bathtub rout doesn't have enough room in the routing to pull the pickguard back far enough to take it off. Some neck heels are different than others, some you can scoch it out from under there IF the pickup is adjusted way up, most of the time it's just easier to take the neck off rather than fvck something up that wasn't broke before.

Anybody that has worked on strats for very long will tell you it's a 50/50 shot whether it will come off or not. That's just Fenders. For Warmoths and any other well made customs with vintage routing, taking the neck off is MANDATORY because there is NOT enough room to slide the pickguard very much at all.

dspelman

Reaction score
New Fender Strat How to Pickguard-I can't get it off!

Ohferchrissakes.

c4_plastic_explosive_by_crafter08-d2z067k.jpg

MooCheng

Reaction score
yep Fenders are pretty well made......if it were a Gibson SG it would probably fall off while you were playing

RBrocking

Reaction score
I never had to fool with the neck to get guard off Just peel it up from around the tremolo bridge and pull slightly to get it to slide from around the neck if its new its probably sticking to the new paint or finish

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I had a fat wife and a SG and will not talk about either of them. I will talk about Fender repair.

user xyz

Reaction score
Anything besides a bathtub rout doesn't have enough room in the routing to pull the pickguard back far enough to take it off. Some neck heels are different than others, some you can scoch it out from under there IF the pickup is adjusted way up, most of the time it's just easier to take the neck off rather than fvck something up that wasn't broke before.

Anybody that has worked on strats for very long will tell you it's a 50/50 shot whether it will come off or not. That's just Fenders. For Warmoths and any other well made customs with vintage routing, taking the neck off is MANDATORY because there is NOT enough room to slide the pickguard very much at all.

50/50 ??

I have 7 Strats from 1980 to 2013-they All are factory Routed HSH and have NEVER had a Problem on any Removing and/or Replacing any of the Pick guards. :wave:

I NEVER had to remove a Neck to accomplish this.--

Dougie

Reaction score
You have one of the larger neck pickup routs with the H-S-H routing. That makes yours EASY. Try a S-S-S rout sometime.

Bigsby'd

Reaction score
Get the biggest screwdriver you can find, and pry the fvck out of it. Don't be afraid to really dig in there. Use a hammer if you need to drive that giant fvcking screwdriver under that pickguard. Just freaking kill it to death until that piece of sh1t pickguard rips the fvck off of that g0ddamn3d strat. I mean...beat it like it owes you money. Just punch it in the face.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Fenders are delightfully easy to work on. On the other hand, try fixing the wiring on a Birdland some time....You need extra joints in your fingers and the patience of Job.

RBrocking

Reaction score
Did the pickguard come off yet? Pickguards come in different thicknesses 1 ply 2 ply 3 ply and so on if you have to, last resort loosen the back screws and pull out. Bada Bing

Pix

Reaction score
Jeez just take the neck off! STANDARD PROCEDURE for a 22fret neck with overhang. That's like trying to change a flat on a car without jacking it up!

Hey guess what? I didn't know that.

Pix

Reaction score
Since When??

I have Strats from 1980 to 2013 and have NEVER had to remove the Neck to remove a fully assembled Pickguard.

I this new for 2013???

This is where i'm at, never had one like this. Changed many strat guards, just not necks. It's all good now, I got it right after I posted this thread. Don't ask why I dug it up, just bored I guess.....oh I mean working--:naughty:

Latest Threads