New Faded series....

Deftone

Reaction score
$2,199 for a Faded SG? I bought one new in '02 for $479. WTF?

SG61VF00AYNH1_front.png

Mr French

Reaction score
I’m going with “bullshit” on that. They were $600 as late as 2017. Other than dragging inflation/supply chain anomalies into the equation, that shit doesn’t come close to passing the smell test.
No need to get hostile or upset with me. I don't set those prices. Anyways I knew I had a catalog from 04 so check this out.

If 2002 SG special Faded was $479 by 2004 it was $649. I guess you could call that BS but again that 20 years ago. No clue about 2017 but if the prices gone up then, don't think anyone would complain if they made a profit.

I'm positive the 2002 SG faded reference is an SG Special and not a Standard like the new 2022 model.

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_193959.jpg
    IMG_20221004_193959.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 20

Mr French

Reaction score
I'm digging the new faded series and even the SG. Anyone else see the 60s LP specs being equipped with 60s Burstbuckers? New series of BB's???

v-man

Reaction score
No need to get hostile or upset with me. I don't set those prices. Anyways I knew I had a catalog from 04 so check this out.

If 2002 SG special Faded was $479 by 2004 it was $649. I guess you could call that BS but again that 20 years ago. No clue about 2017 but if the prices gone up then, don't think anyone would complain if they made a profit.

I'm positive the 2002 SG faded reference is an SG Special and not a Standard like the new 2022 model.
No hostility, just directness. The car analogy is inapt because you are talking about inflationary forces over more than a half-century across an entire industry. In this case, that specific “$5,000 car” (guitar) remained close to that price as little as 5 years ago in an industry where many competitively-featured singlecuts in that industry remain in the similar “$5,000 car” price bracket (or substantially close) to this day.

Mr French

Reaction score
No hostility, just directness. The car analogy is inapt because you are talking about inflationary forces over more than a half-century across an entire industry. In this case, that specific “$5,000 car” (guitar) remained close to that price as little as 5 years ago in an industry where many competitively-featured singlecuts in that industry remain in the similar “$5,000 car” price bracket (or substantially close) to this day.
To avoid any further confusion, I'm talking about guitars.

But cars did cost under 5k in the 60s. That was back in the day not that it matters.

Anyways the new faded series looks stunning and cleaner than the early 2000s. I'm looking forward to playing one in a store.

v-man

Reaction score
To avoid any further confusion, I'm talking about guitars.

But cars did cost under 5k in the 60s. That was back in the day not that it matters.

Anyways the new faded series looks stunning and cleaner than the early 2000s. I'm looking forward to playing one in a store.
Then you are the target of their market. I did point out initially in the thread, how you are getting better appointments than (some of) the earlier worn models, nevertheless, a 400+% markup for those appointments is absurd to me (likely others as well), particularly with respect to how recently one could have purchased one of the last offerings.

Mr French

Reaction score
Then you are the target of their market. I did point out initially in the thread, how you are getting better appointments than (some of) the earlier worn models, nevertheless, a 400+% markup for those appointments is absurd to me (likely others as well), particularly with respect to how recently one could have purchased one of the last offerings.
I understand.

I strongly disagree I'm a target of their market since these faded LP do not have a real ABR-1 bridge. Also I only judge the guitar based on playability and sound.

I've yet to find a Gibson that play's like my Edwards JPLP.

If these new faded LP come equip with an ABR-1 Yup I'd be all over one.

v-man

Reaction score
I understand.

I strongly disagree I'm a target of their market since these faded LP do not have a real ABR-1 bridge. Also I only judge the guitar based on playability and sound.

I've yet to find a Gibson that play's like my Edwards JPLP.

If these new faded LP come equip with an ABR-1 Yup I'd be all over one.
Due to their outright refusal to build a proper flying V outside of a $7K+ VOS, I am seriously considering an Edwards myself sometime… all the more upsetting to me having a 100% MIA collections whereas the Edwards Vs are now MIC.

Deftone

Reaction score
FWIW: '02 was the 1st year of the "Special Faded" guitars and the SG was 1st. It had that year only Crescent Moon inlays...

SG Faded.JPG

Well aware of how inflation works and how many years had passed. I did not think that would even have to be discussed. Yet, here we are.

Here's how I see it: the faded finish saves a lot of time in the MFG. process. No binding, decal logo, Gibson was able to release a USA made guitar for a super reasonable price. They sold a lot of them so the price went up almost immediately and now they are ridiculously over priced.

Due to the current recession, Gibson should go back to the original faded design and bring the price back under $1K, IMHO.

Telechamp

Reaction score
I got my '05 Special Faded for $500 brand new at Best Buy, back in '05.

I added pickup covers and silver/black reflectors.

Never should have sold it...
NZ7Vh7X.gif

KVmmZlx.jpg

metalmike222

Reaction score
I’m going with “bullshit” on that. They were $600 as late as 2017. Other than dragging inflation/supply chain anomalies into the equation, that shit doesn’t come close to passing the smell test.
According to archive.org, it looks like the MSRP for Faded models was $1299 around that time. Not anywhere near as low as $600. The link below is specifically for an SG Naked, because I couldn't find a Faded SG for that year, but it's listed as $1299 as well as showing links for Faded Explorers and Vs at $1299. Now, $1299 to $2199 in 5 years is quite a price hike, but I thought it was worth being accurate about the price hike. It does also appear to be more of a lower end model than the current Faded offering. Take that for what it's worth.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Just checked and these are $2199 at both Zzounds and Sweetwater.

VERY cool guitar, I sort of dig the faded finish. However, I also think they are very overpriced. Weren't the full gloss versions of these (w/ pickup covers) only $1899 just a couple years ago?

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... I also think they are very overpriced. Weren't the full gloss versions of these (w/ pickup covers) only $1899 just a couple years ago?
You are not allowed to look at it that way. You can only compare it it to CURRENT prices. LOL

DaveSG

Reaction score
You are not allowed to look at it that way. You can only compare it it to CURRENT prices. LOL
Not allowed? Come on man whose gonna get me the internet price police? :rofl:

I remember those faded SGs, back from the days (2005-ish) which I think are what the OP was referencing...I remember those were like $499 on sale days. The fadeds (whether LP Std Faded or SG Special faded) were always seen as good low cost options for the working musician, which is why $2200 feels like a real stretch on these latest iterations.

I wouldn't even mind at least checking some of these out but inventory on anything other than LP Std 50s and 60s seem low near me. WW has like 160+ LPs, and I think maybe one (1) of these fadeds?

To me this wouldn't even be a deal at the old $1899 price. Cool guitar but hard pass.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Are they making up for the 400$ Cardigans flying off the shelves?

I’ve a Faded 2010 Les Paul which cost 750$ …

Not really seeing the value in these prices…

Latest Threads