New facts about the beginning of 9 holes Traditional Weight Relief

filtersweep

Reaction score
You have not much to do and lot's of time to do it, so it seems. I give this a big "yawn"...who cares?!

I dont think it's any secret that early RI's used production line units and simply got special paint jobs and electronics. Gibson always phased in changes during transitional periods as such i doubt there is a black or white answer.

:cheers2:
I hate crapposts like this. Why make it personal? You know nothing about him.

These posts discourage any dialog— as you turn it against the OP and make all sorts of assumptions.

One might make their own assumptions about your ‘people skills.’

You could say any active poster with 1000+ posts doesn’t have much to do, etc.- or in your case 4000+ posts.

MooCheng

Reaction score
interesting thread, the images are wonderfully clear.
its always hard to pin a date on anything Gibson does. I suspect 9 hole weight relief was around a while before it was officially announced and run along side trad' solid bodys. It would'nt surprise me, once the cap was glued on, even Gibson were unsure what they had stock piled awaiting necks to be fitted. It would be interesting to see if any instruments with consecutive s/n's or near enough turned up both solid and swiss cheesed

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure now you say it,......you haven’t said anything like this since I’ve know you!! WTF!!! :rofl::run::fingersx::applause::D

(I’m sorry muddy, I’m on a new pain medication!)
:rofl:There’s a lot of things I don’t speak of here amigo like cat gut strings and Ford Pintos.... it gets people all sensitive and emotional :laugh2:..... so I will wait for someone else to take that leap and then I might add something meaningful :)

stringbender11

Reaction score
Funny looking at those 9 hole models, the holes seem so random. So if I understand correctly, there were two versions of weight relief: Gibson started with the 9 holes, then eventually switched routed out cavities instead - is that right?

My '97 Studio is definitely not lightened at all, I think it weighs around 9lbs. Seems like Gibson just randomly lightened some guitars, not others. I wonder what the reasoning was?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny looking at those 9 hole models, the holes seem so random. So if I understand correctly, there were two versions of weight relief: Gibson started with the 9 holes, then eventually switched routed out cavities instead - is that right?

My '97 Studio is definitely not lightened at all, I think it weighs around 9lbs. Seems like Gibson just randomly lightened some guitars, not others. I wonder what the reasoning was?
I believe that the 9 hole came first then full body chambering then the wagon wheel spoke like relief.

9 lbs or a little less or more is actually about the average for LPs with 9 hole relief..... in fact Les Paul Customs can be 11 lbs or more with the 9 holes.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I hate crapposts like this. Why make it personal? You know nothing about him.

These posts discourage any dialog— as you turn it against the OP and make all sorts of assumptions.

One might make their own assumptions about your ‘people skills.’

You could say any active poster with 1000+ posts doesn’t have much to do, etc.- or in your case 4000+ posts.
I insulted nobody, so I dont see what you're on about. Made an observation and gave an opinion.
Sorry, I missed my sensitivity training this month!
:laugh2:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know it's funny: I don't mind the 9 holes (I have 2 Standards and 1 Custom) and I have a chambered Standard (love it) but I find a strange attraction to non-weight relieved (2 R's and a Deluxe). I'd love to know whether or not my 89 Prehistoric is weight relieved or not (just for the sake of knowing). I wish I could xray it to know fo sho

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did the “pre historic” 59 flame reissues have the 9 hole weight relief?

And.... square wiring channel pretty much = 9 hole relief?
The square channel route can be seen in this 1974 Les Paul Custom..... I also included the tenon pic. This is from a thread in the Norlin section. I’m pretty sure there is no weight relief.

It’s rather butchered up cavity but the square channel can be seen. Though I might add it is much smaller than the square channel used with the weight relief.
2C026D02-4E06-4073-9035-18BD40C5DAC0.jpeg

586036DD-CBFB-4CD9-A6F5-B90D6E52EB93.jpeg

^^this is rather small compared to later routes with weight relief like my 2011 Traditional below....
EDF7C09A-3E10-4FBA-9806-31F99493F829.jpeg

Now compared to my R8 Historic
DFC943DA-A9AE-4C20-97C5-DD1296E24EA1.jpeg

Much smaller square channel.

This is the round (drilled) channel on my 1977 Les Paul Custom
554A212F-B6DE-4A47-B459-CFAB8C801A2F.jpeg

Last edited:

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I know that Gibson didn't disclose that the bodies were weight relieved until someone on a forum had X-rayed his guitar and it showed the holes. Even then it was quite sometime as I recall before Gibson actually admitted it. In other words, they tried to keep this info from buyers until they got caught with the proof.
Al

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
The square channel route can be seen in this 1974 Les Paul Custom..... I also included the tenon pic. This is from a thread in the Norlin section. I’m pretty sure there is no weight relief.

It’s rather butchered up cavity but the square channel can be seen. Though I might add it is much smaller than the square channel used with the weight relief.
View attachment 360160
View attachment 360161
^^this is rather small compared to later routes with weight relief like my 2011 Traditional below....
View attachment 360168

Now compared to my R8 Historic
View attachment 360175
Much smaller square channel.

This is the round (drilled) channel on my 1977 Les Paul Custom
View attachment 360179
Really AMAZING stuff, Muddy. Damn, learnt me sum'in new

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
:rofl:There’s a lot of things I don’t speak of here amigo like cat gut strings and Ford Pintos....
I had a Ford Pinto in my early 20s. Everyone said I would get blown up one day, but I didn't. My girlfriend refused to let me drive her anywhere in it so we had to take her 280Z, which didn't have a heater and the windows always fogged up and the gas gauge didn't work so twice I had to push it to a gas station because she never would put more than $5 at a time into it. The Pinto died one day in the 'burbs and I walked home. My girlfriend (different one) asked me when I was going to get it towed. About three weeks later we drove to check it out and it was gone. Never heard about it since.

Norton

Reaction score
Frozen rat, Thanks for that!! Super interesting and completely relevant to the conversation.

If you’re not interested in the topic, do the adult thing and just leave it be.

Oleynior

Reaction score
Just to make it clear: in general Gibson LPs history, the channel profile (round or rectangular) and its size, does not specify the structure of the body. We know that, right?

Based on my fresh x-ray pictures I'm just wondering, if there is a chance that the 9 holes Weight Relief was introduced not in 82 or 83, but in 1984. And if it was, does it have relationship with the change of the channel profile and milling technology - because then it would be an ideal opportunity to introduce 9 hole WR.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I am curious if the Pre Historic reissues were weight relieved. I have a '90 / '59 reissue here that weighs in at just over 9 lbs. Where's that X-ray machine located? :)

Latest Threads