new evh frankie relic

mrBrianc

Reaction score
What does everyone think about the new evh frankie relic? I preordered one but thinking about cxling to get the new slash Gibson or the evh Wolfgang special in the black and white or the red black and white.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd rather get the WG special or the Slash LP. I'm not overly into relics, and that particular guitar looks more like something you'd hang on the wall than actually play (at least to me).

hbucker

Reaction score
I've built a couple of Frankie Relics, so I obviously appreciate the vibe. The relics produced by Fender are pretty cool and are no doubt good guitars. They aren't exactly authentic to the original by the time you factor in body wood and hardware, (and cigarette burns on the headstock) but that may not matter - depends on the person.

An actual Wolfgang or LP probably has more versatility from appearance alone. But for those of us who consider EVH's red/white stripes as an iconic part of our fabric, it's hard not to have something painted that way.

It's all up to you. I don't think there is a bad guitar among the three you mentioned.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I like 'em, but I have the homemade Frankie that a buddy & I built back in 2008, so I'm good.

mrBrianc

Reaction score
I've built a couple of Frankie Relics, so I obviously appreciate the vibe. The relics produced by Fender are pretty cool and are no doubt good guitars. They aren't exactly authentic to the original by the time you factor in body wood and hardware, (and cigarette burns on the headstock) but that may not matter - depends on the person.

An actual Wolfgang or LP probably has more versatility from appearance alone. But for those of us who consider EVH's red/white stripes as an iconic part of our fabric, it's hard not to have something painted that way.

It's all up to you. I don't think there is a bad guitar among the three you mentioned.

I have always loved that guitar. I had the evh stripped but it was just plain to me. the new relic looks sweet but I also like the stripped Wolfgang. Thanks for your input.

joff

Reaction score
The candy Relic is better than the unaged version, as it has the cable input in the correct area and a pickguard.

I prefer the b/w version, although it does have the wrong headstock...this is my Striped Series Prototype, which was at the 2013 NAMM and the 2013 Musikfest.

EVH NAMM 2013 b.jpg
EVH NAMM 2013 a.jpg

Last edited:

Dutchy5150

Reaction score
I've got 3 Frankies that I've made (4 if you count the B/W version) but I'm still planning on getting one of the new reliced Franks. I think I might wait to get a second hand one though as here in Australia, they are going to be just under 3K. :oops:

reggal1

Reaction score
What does everyone think about the new evh frankie relic? I preordered one but thinking about cxling to get the new slash Gibson or the evh Wolfgang special in the black and white or the red black and white.
they are nice, this guy did a cool video on the franky- its cheaper to buy one, rather than making one

reggal1

Reaction score
I've got 3 Frankies that I've made (4 if you count the B/W version) but I'm still planning on getting one of the new reliced Franks. I think I might wait to get a second hand one though as here in Australia, they are going to be just under 3K. :oops:
these are nice guitars for the $$

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I played one at a shop and was really surprised at how good it was. IMO you have to have the classic red striped model, that's the truly iconic EVH guitar. I say go for it!

Tdurden032

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted one - and remember when Fender’s Custom Shop produces that limited series came out for like $25k USD, maybe in 2007 or so? I was deflated by the price, but the used Frankenstein market out there now is a lot more reachable and tempting...

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I wanted to order one of these earlier in the year but missed out. Then with a bunch of shit going on all year, late in the fall I was finally ready to order but no one had them in stock. All my regular go-to dealers had pre-orders going to 2/2021 with no guarantee, then for shits and grins I hit up Musicians Friend first week of November, and they had one left (literally).

So I got it!

iWTBIuu.jpg

Md0kejw.jpg

For what they are, they're decent and give you the EVH vibe. I had a custom kit-bashed Frankie which had a lot more attention to detail than these do, but overall I'm happy with it.

With the surge of pre-orders stemming from the death of EVH I'm amazed I was able to pick one up after his untimely passing.

The EVH franken humbucker in it is good, I have one in my mean streets custom '5150' . The Frankie through a BE100 is the way to go. with these. For a superstrat type guitar they play well, and so far I've not seen any egregious price gouging.

BTW these do not come with a hard case or a gig bag, so be prepared for that aspect. It was well wrapped in the shipping box though.

Ekzrk13.jpg

with all the shit going on in my life now I've only had the chance to play it a few times, maybe one of these days I'll do a video demo as I think it sounds killer thru a BE100.

reggal1

Reaction score
they are great, I always wanted one and the price is affable for everything on it, I saw this video and I bought after, they feel great and sound great!! I like this guy's channel, he does some good video sand demos

reggal1

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I did find a 1971 quarter that I will put on my frankie

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Depends on how much of a fan you are of EVH. I was a big fan and VH got me into playing guitar, so when he died I kind of felt compelled to have something related to play. If you want a Slash, you want a Slash, which is totally fine - great guitarist.

At some point, I’d like a Wolfgang, and I do like the black and white model a lot, but I just finished building a Frank and love it. The single humbucker straight through with no cap or tone control sounds awesome.

7-A71-A37-E-6-FBD-4-BE9-BE13-FA5-D9-D07-DBF3.jpg

CFE3-A23-B-351-A-4-FB0-8943-BAFFA76-E35-E3.jpg

Latest Threads