New Esquire day

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
It's been a long time coming and been through a million variations on the way, but I finally got my Esquire project finished.

It began as a £99 Squier Tele that I modified, then over time there is only a few strap buttons and screws left of it now...all replaced with genuine Fender parts (mostly).

It's loosely based on a 1954 Esquire, with a fat 'baseball bat' like neck (very much against my typical choice, but it's good to stretch myself and makes a great change from all my other slim taper type guitars). Just put it (back) together this weekend after I received a beautifully aged 'white' blonde body finished in nitro.

I have changed the saddles for brass ones tonight, but these photos show the steel ones I 'borrowed' from my Classic 50s Telecaster.

Here we go:
Esq 8.jpg

Esq 2.jpg

Esq 3.jpg
Esq 10.jpg

Esq 9.jpg

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Specs for those interested:
Body by SC Relics, aged, yellowed and marked, in nitro.
Neck by Fender MIM Fat '51 U 9.5" radius.
Gotoh SD91 aged tuners.
Fender vintage bridge, sides cut down to clear my pick, Fender steel saddles.
B stock knobs and control plate from Axecaster that I then aged.
Bakelite guard, with the sides wet sanded to give a smoother edge.
Oil City 'Diesel Tap' pick up with 6k/9k windings.
CTS 250K pots, tone pot has a pull switch to control the tap on the pickup. 0.022uF Orange drop tone cap. Mullard NOS 3300pf capacitor for the 'cocked wah' front switch position (modified 'Eldred' circuit).
Electrosocket jack plate and switch craft socket.

It's quite heavy for a Tele too...not much lighter than my Epiphone Les Paul. This is 8lbs 7oz approx:
Esq 4 edit.jpg

For comparison:
4011g Epi LP.jpg

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Just a few more photos with the brass saddles and my other Tele (which is really different to play due to the thinner neck/7.25" radius/lighter body/different pickups).

The body looks a lighter colour in these pictures too; more like how it looks in person:

Esq 11.jpg

Tele & Esq 3.jpg

Esq 12 edit.jpg

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks great!
There's a Squier CV '50s Tele in vintage blonde at L&M that would make a nice Esquire. Just needs a guard and the Esquire wiring. Or maybe a P-90 buried under the guard...

Fuggle

Reaction score
Very nice!

Ok, I have to ask a stupid question. What does the selector switch do on a one-pickup guitar?

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Very nice!

Ok, I have to ask a stupid question. What does the selector switch do on a one-pickup guitar?
It gives you a change of tone, a bit like a pick up selector does, but only using the same pickup and some different circuitry:

Fully back is the tone bypassed and only volume knob, so it's a brighter and a little louder (good for solos).
Middle is volume and tone in circuit so a bit warmer, depending on where the tone is set.
Fully forward is a fixed capacitor that gives a sort of 'cocked wah' tone that sounds great with distortion: Think the intro guitar to 'Money for nothing'.

Mine also has a pull switch on the tone knob, so I can use the 6k tap on the pickup for a lighter/brighter tone (with all the above variations): Basically 6 tones from a single pick up guitar and that's before I start playing at different points along the strings as it sounds really 'woody' if I pick over the end of the neck.

It makes you work more for your sounds, but I love the results. :)